About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bbe55077159ac45a0e074a7764cdcee2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo ANH shirt fabric?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aimeekitty ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Han Solo ANH shirt fabric? Reply with quote

There seems to be a lot of speculation over the shirt fabric (ANH Han Solo shirt). Some people say a natural linen...? other's knit?

THe costumes were on display at some point, right? did no one know what the fabric was...?

in this pic, it really looks like a knit to me, with the slight pilling and the way the fabric pulls it looks like it has a slight stretch? Does anyone know?
(please view image full size)

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The costume for ANH never made it to a display that we are aware of. The story goes that the costume was destroyed by rabid fans when Harrison Ford wore it to an early publicity shot in public in the 70's. I have never found any evidence of this, but thats the rumor anyways.

I too think its a knit of some kind or a silk noil possibly. It might even be an even weave cotton... hard to tell.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the knit assessment. Mine is made from a jersey-knit cotton, basically just like a T-shirt. I don't know that this is exactly what the original was made of, but it does have a very similar stretchy-clingly quality, it wrinkles much the same, pushes up at the elbows much the same, etc. I'm extremely happy with mine.

I'm not convinced that linen is really the right fabric, but that's just my opinion. More important is the color. Too many people make the shirt white, and it is definitely not white. During the Death Star scenes, when Han is wearing the Stormtrooper belt, this can be clearly seen. We know the belt to be true white, but when compared to the shirt, the shirt appears almost yellow. A nice dip in Chamomile tea can help achieve the correct color. I even let mine spend just a few seconds in a yellow dyebath.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your build and continue to keep us posted on your progress.
aimeekitty ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks folks, I felt pretty strong on knit. so I went with that. Smile
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in dry cleaning, I say that so that you'll understand my assessment of the fabric. We get two main types of shirts that look like that, cotton knits and shirts that have been cut on the bias. This looks more like a cotton knit than a cut on the bias cotton shirting to my eyes. If you look very carefully at the seams they look like serger seams which also points to a knit rather than the bias cut cotton.

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive the zombie post, but I agree the shirt appears to be a cotton or cotton blend knit. I don't think it looks like it has the texture of either linen or silk noil, and it does not have the "movement" of any linen shirt I've seen.

Han's shirt wrinkles and stretches like a cotton shirt, not like a linen shirt, I think.
Marq76 ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody here know a great Han Solo New hope shirt vendor? Or does somebody have a pattern or a shirt for a reference to share pics from?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: