About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=12db66d24207273890688a36eb58b36fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia's joining the Picnic (a.k.a Vera's Meadow Gown Build)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Leia's joining the Picnic (a.k.a Vera's Meadow Gown Build) Reply with quote

It's been 10 years of drooling over this dress and I'm finally doing it. I lurked and watched over the years the other talented ladies like KayDee, ObiDawn and Maggie of Padawans Guide research and make this dress. When the movie first came out I didn't have close to the skill level to pull this off.

I found a curtain panel my first year of college that I've been stashing for this, and since then I've also aquired the headband ribbon and the sequins.

The fabric is ok, it's closer than anything you can find now, but the vines aren't quite the same. I have to dye the netting, too. If I ever learn the digitizing program I have access to I may try and embroidery my own fabric by machine later:

I made a victorian corset pattern a while back, but it doesn't quite shape like a victorian corset should. It DID shape quite like Padme's corset, so I've re-shaped it a bit and started my first draft. It isn't as structured right now since it's not interfaced or boned, but this is just to fit and cut up to re-position the seam lines.

This project might not gain much steam before the holidays, I can't afford all the silk until then, and I can't find the corset fabric I want yet, so for now I'm just working on patterning.

Gotta get it done before AOTC in 3D!

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sothis ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the picnic club! Laughing
With your fabulous skills, I’m sure the dress will turn out stunning. Looking forward to more updates from you!
Roxana Aleera (Chelsea Branson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot wait to see more updates as you take on this stunning dress! May the force and sewing machine be with you
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh Vera, I can't wait to see your progress on this! With your skills.... Wink It'll be great Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be awesome, Ver. Very Happy

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be a fun build for sure. Looks like you've got the seam placement down for the corset nicely.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelSenator wrote:
This will be a fun build for sure. Looks like you've got the seam placement down for the corset nicely.

Oh, I haven't fiddled with seam placement yet, I was just working on fit. I don't think I'll have to change much though. I like to take pictures and layer it in photoshop with pics of the original to get them exactly right Smile The back will be harder because there's no clear shots

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see. This is such a beautiful romantic gown.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get the headband ribbon? Have you gotten the silk ribbons for the arms and hair yet? I was going to get them from Kristen before she left her M&J trim job, but they sold out. Crying or Very sad

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
Where did you get the headband ribbon? Have you gotten the silk ribbons for the arms and hair yet? I was going to get them from Kristen before she left her M&J trim job, but they sold out. Crying or Very sad

It was at the Ribbonerie: http://ribbonerie.com/
Go to "Specialty", page 4 and it's on the bottom. You have to call to order it. When I ordered it a couple years ago, they had run out and couldn't fill my whole order, but they were able to get more from out of the country, so hopefully they still have some!

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Mieal Deneb wrote:

It was at the Ribbonerie: http://ribbonerie.com/
Go to "Specialty", page 4 and it's on the bottom. You have to call to order it. When I ordered it a couple years ago, they had run out and couldn't fill my whole order, but they were able to get more from out of the country, so hopefully they still have some!

And you know, the reason it is on their web site is because of us - lol (honestly, it is!) I found it there when I checked out their store in San Francisco, so girls making the picnic dress began to phone/mail order it from them back before they had much of anything on a web site.

The trim was produced by a mill in France. No longer produced, so what the ribbon stores have been ordering is just whatever is left in the warehouse in France. They ran out of the more golden green color from the movie years ago (I know, just our luck), so the only hope of finding that color is to stumble on some old stock in a high end trim/fabric store. The green is a fair substitute though.

I should really remake my picnic dress. I think I'm scared to, I hate dying fabric, and I couldn't get my embroidery machine to work the way I wanted. Now my software is so outdated I'd have to pay for an expensive upgrade package and I'm just not ready. But I ain't getting any younger...

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh darn it, I thought my trim was accurate, I didn't know that!

What other costumes are on your plate this year, do you have time to remake it this year? You've wanted to do it for years, if you have the time I say DO IT!

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definitely be following this build- this dress is on my 'would like to eventually do' list, and I've started casually gathering supplies (well, someone was selling off batches of accurate sequins, so I grabbed a bag, and I stumbled on some good shawl fabric in the fashion district, so I'm stashing it for a later date). Your work is always impeccable, so I'm excited to see how this goes. Smile

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who have made an accurate version of this what did you use for the skirt and blouse for the "old gold silk organza" ? Where did you get it? I'm trying to find something, hopefully that I won't have to dye and won't break the bank. I'm probably hoping for too much... Confused

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
For those who have made an accurate version of this what did you use for the skirt and blouse for the "old gold silk organza" ? Where did you get it? I'm trying to find something, hopefully that I won't have to dye and won't break the bank. I'm probably hoping for too much... Confused

Organza? I think it's a crinkle chiffon... if you weren't going for silk, spring is coming... not literally *brrr* but spring fabrics will be out soon, there may be some crinkled yellow fabrics in the stores soon.

I'm ordering samples for mine this weekend from a few places. I found one place with a great yellow crinkled silk, but when I asked for samples, they said they only have 5 yards :p I'm going to have to dye. I'm going to try to get a kiddie wading pool to dye in so I can dye yardage evenly.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: