About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ed04d66aa94fb15a6ff0d1a0180f4cefMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Force FX Lightsaber questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZachLovesStarWars (Zachary Messer)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Force FX Lightsaber questions Reply with quote

Are these approve-able? More importantly, are they battle-able?
Awoo (Aidan)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my research they are approvable however stock standard Hasbro or MR sabers they CANNOT be used for duelling as the blade is fairly fragile.
You can buy conversion kits or buy converted sabers from various saber shops

Converted Saber
http://www.ultrasabers.com/category-s/111.htm

Kits
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/FX-Conversion-Kits-C56.aspx
DarthGM (Phil Maiewski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, if you're talking about the Hasbro or MR Force FX Sabers that are metal and have yard-long blades (removable or not), they're acceptible. Just remember to get the right saber for the specific face-characer if you're "playing" one, or simply don't get a red one if you're a Generic Jedi.

I also highly advise not dueling with a stock Force-FX saber, as not only could the blade crack but even if it holds up you may knock loose one of the sequential LEDs in the blade. If you plan on dueling, get it converted over to use a heavy-duty removable blade.

A neat side effect of doing this is that the LED you replace the existing one with is usually brighter!
Mr. Green
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just placed my order with TCSS. I have a Hasbro ROTJ Luke Force FX that I plan on converting. Can't wait! Once I get the parts in I will start a build thread here. I have yet to see someone post how to convert a Hasbro; all the threads I have found are for MR ones. It will be fun to crack into it and show everyone the difference, as there are some.
Mrs_Skywalker95 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so, does that mean we CAN use Hasbro lightsabers? or, no?
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs_Skywalker95 wrote:
Oh, so, does that mean we CAN use Hasbro lightsabers? or, no?

Even though all lightsabers are “toys” (in that they’re not real)...some have metal hilts (and are not considered to be in the “toy” category by the Rebel Legion or 501st) while others are all plastic (and considered “toys”).

This Hasbro is okay because as it has a metal based hilt. It’s the Force FX version and they have these for Anakin, OWK, Vader, Yoda, Windu, and a few others. They are at or over $100 each.
http://www.hasbro.com/shop/details.cfm?R=9431AF8E-6D40-1014-8BF0-9EFBF894F9D4:en_US&src=endeca&product_id=22990

This Hasbro is NOT acceptable as it is all plastic and retails for somewhere around $10.
http://www.hasbro.com/shop/details.cfm?R=94203C9C-6D40-1014-8BF0-9EFBF894F9D4:en_US&src=endeca&product_id=22709

BOTH of these are "Hasbro", but neither would recommended for dualing.

So…are Hasbro lightsabers acceptable? Yes…and no…depending on which one you get.

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Force FX Lightsaber questions Reply with quote

ZachLovesStarWars wrote:
Are these approve-able? More importantly, are they battle-able?

Approve-able, sure, battle-able, less so. In the past few months my Saber group have destroyed a converted MR Luke, a Consular and a Grafex, and damaged a Guardian, all from Ultrasabers and supposedly battle-able. The pretty Sabers with protrusions and stick-ons get damaged.

For duelling, you're better off with the cheap, solid duelling hilts, and leave the pretty ones, pretty. I know others have plenty of things to say about Ultrasabers, but we would never have been able to get our group off the ground in the last six months without the ability to quickly order cheap, premade heavy Sabers. The workhorse of our group has become the Aeon V3 type Saber, cheap, elegant and strong with great handling properties.

Tython Base Facebook Page

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I get a Graflex SE and use it for a Generic Jedi? I've always liked that hilt.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZachLovesStarWars wrote:
Can I get a Graflex SE and use it for a Generic Jedi? I've always liked that hilt.

You mean like this?
http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/sound-graflexse.htm
or maybe this?
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=6628.0

Of course, these would be approved for formal status.

Or...do you mean: would a Graflex SE (that might be "required" for Anakin/Vader costumes) allowable for Generic Jedi? Yes...any lightsaber, (almost regardless of design) that has a metal based hilt, would be acceptable for Generic Jedi. Just so long as it doesn't have a red blade.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithariRog wrote:
ZachLovesStarWars wrote:

You mean like this?
http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/sound-graflexse.htm
or maybe this?
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=6628.0

Of course, these would be approved for formal status.

Or...do you mean: would a Graflex SE (that might be "required" for Anakin/Vader costumes) allowable for Generic Jedi? Yes...any lightsaber, (almost regardless of design) that has a metal based hilt, would be acceptable for Generic Jedi. Just so long as it doesn't have a red blade.

Yes, I meant the first one. I thought we were not allowed to use vendor's names, like on 501st sites.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well....that is more for people who make props/costumes, but who do not have actual businesses. There are folks who make Star Wars props for fun. We're not supposed to make any profit (or we run a serious risk of having LFL (or now Disney) come down on us). So, we tend to not name folks like that. There are a few people who have legitimate business. Some folks who make lightsabers are one (like the ones I linked). There's a number of folks outside the country who probably get away with things because they're outside the country? I'm not up on international law.

AND, the Rebel Legion (nor the 501st) doesn't (and shouldn't) be seen to endorse anyone, so we tend to keep a low profile on talking a lot about any given vendor.

But everyone knows about the sites I linked, so it's no big deal for those.

Don't know if that made any sense?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithariRog wrote:
Oh, well....that is more for people who make props/costumes, but who do not have actual businesses. There are folks who make Star Wars props for fun. We're not supposed to make any profit (or we run a serious risk of having LFL (or now Disney) come down on us). So, we tend to not name folks like that. There are a few people who have legitimate business. Some folks who make lightsabers are one (like the ones I linked). There's a number of folks outside the country who probably get away with things because they're outside the country? I'm not up on international law.

AND, the Rebel Legion (nor the 501st) doesn't (and shouldn't) be seen to endorse anyone, so we tend to keep a low profile on talking a lot about any given vendor.

But everyone knows about the sites I linked, so it's no big deal for those.

Don't know if that made any sense?

I understood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: