Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f390e22926ce9c210712393dd4f0d399Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

looking for budget boots, holster, blaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aimeekitty ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: looking for budget boots, holster, blaster Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I've read padawansguide and Kay-dee's pages about Han Solo's ANH costume as well as the FAQ here.

I'm a decent seamstress so the shirt, pants and vest are not an issue,

but I'm wondering if there are any budget options for boots, holster and blaster. Paying $400 for each of those is just not in my budget right now (we just had twin girls who probably have ewok costumes in their future... ) but I'd still like my husband's outfit to be reasonably accurate. (hopefully within RL formal guidelines) Is this even possible?

For the boots, I'm guessing a black jedi/riding boot from ebay with a zipper is reasonably ok as long as I meet the rest of the guidelines, right?

With the holster, is costumebase' holster considered accurate enough for RL? (or does it require modifications, and if so what...?) Or are there other options along the same pricerange? I really hate working in leather (I tried it before for my husband's Flynn Tangled outfit and it caused me quite a bit of frustration...)

With the blaster, is there any option that is under $100 that isn't sucky? I know I can't get a perfect gun for that, but can I still be under RL guidelines for that pricerange? Any suggestions?

Much thanks in advance.
theeviltwin ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

The good news is that you have definitely come to the right place to find answers.

The only way to do an approvable Han costume on a budget it with patience, research, hunting and making it yourself.

Others I'm sure will add their own advice but I'll start the ball rolling:

Boots - some have had success with finds on eBay with much hunting and patience. Some equestrian goods shop also have some good leather-look boots that cost far less than the leather ones. The fit and height are going to be key factors as Han's knee high boots are taller than the average boot.

Holster - to make a Costumebase gunbelt accurate you would have to do so much modification work to it I honestly think it would be easier to start from scratch and build one anyway. If you are on a budget, making one may be your only route. But there are many tutorial / work in progress threads here from members doing just that, and it is a very viable option.

Blaster - you could try making one (e.g. using an airsoft Mauser as a base) and find the bits to convert it. Or you could probably get a high quality resin kit for around $100 including delivery to the US.

One bit of advice - there is very little margin between an accurate, approvable Han costume and an inaccurate Han costume. That doesn't leave much space for compromising the accuracy of details. So if you start with aiming for a reasonably accurate costume, you are taking a much bigger risk than aiming for a fully accurate costume. It is well worth spending more time to find the right part from the start.

A work in progress thread may really help your build, especially if you want to check whether a specific item is good before you spend any money on it.

Good luck.
Greg
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aimee,

Welcome to the Fringe!! I would have to agree with everything Greg has said; not only is he correct, but he is also the Costume Judge, so his opinion matters!

Let's look at the standards as they are currently written:

Quote:
5. Black equestrian-type knee-high boots. (leather or leather-look; no laces).

This would allow for the pleather type boots with the zipper up the side. I used these for a long time with my first-draft Solo costume. They are inexpensive, look decent, and I still have them today. A better option would be the rubber or PVC type equestrian boots Greg mentioned. You can find them here:

www.doversaddelry.com/men's-winner-rubber-riding-boot

There are several different types in different price ranges. These run $40.00, but all the varieties are under $100.00. They look great, have no visible zipper, (helps with formal approval) and have the correct height. The only complaints I have heard is that they don't breathe well, so they can get hot and sweaty when worn for a long time, but since the standards allow for leather-look, these would be acceptable. Also, be sure to confirm the diameter of the calf on any kind of knee-high boot you buy, as this can tend to be a problem.

For the belt, the standard reads:

Quote:
6. Accurate leather gunbelt and buckles with capped holster, correct tools and proper droid caller.

"Accurate" is a matter of opinion, but as I said, Greg's is the one that matters in this case. The Costumebase belt is not leather, however, the buckles are not quite accurate, and the holster is not capped. It has a lot of issues, but it's not entirely bad. I remember being quite happy with mine when I first got it, until it broke within minutes of putting my blaster in the holster.

It is still good for a pattern, and has been the starting point for many builds, including my own. Also, I'm fairly sure there are some active, formal members using this belt. I don't necessarily agree with this, but I do believe it's true. Unfortunately, unless you have leather and leather working tools just lying around, even building your own is not especially inexpensive, but the end result is much more satisfying.

As for the blaster, I think the resin is the best choice for a low-cost. I can never seem to get resin to take paint well, so I don't care for it myself, but there are some nice ones out there if you have the painting skills to finish it.

Good luck with your build, we hope to hear from you again soon as your project progresses.

May the Force be with You,

Brian
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of options:

Blaster... Arsenal Models resin kit. I believe they are around $45.

Boots... Todd's Costumes go for $199.

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charybdis wrote:
Blaster... Arsenal Models resin kit. I believe they are around $45.

Known recasters, with low quality

http://www.therpf.com/f9/arsenal-models-they-any-good-134692/

Have a nice day,
Michael
aimeekitty ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'm going to make it as accurate as I can, but it has to be within my budget, you know?

after more searching, I was able to find some soviet military boots without zippers and a high shaft that I could afford in the right size even! Assuming they actually arrive and fit, they'll be under $80, which is much more in my price range.

Thanks for the headsup on the resin cast blaster, I wasn't aware of that, that I can afford. Smile (it's not in the FAQ which might be good for future Hans?) I got mine from DoopyDoos, it's in the mail to me now.

It looks like I have no choice about the holster though... I'll have to try and make it myself or get a friend to help me. It's really frustrating. Even if you make it yourself you have to buy or borrow a lot of tools... Sad Leather is not my friend, either. I'm really hoping a friend of mine can help me some so that I don't have to buy a bunch of tools just to make one holster. Sad Sad

I'm having a hard time finding anyone selling the metal belt parts, though. I dunno, I'll have to add up how much the metal parts cost plus all the other supplies and see if it's worth my time trying to make it. Sad

I went ahead and started a WIP build thread here:
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=558994

Thanks!!
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice with the boots - I have Russian officer boots and they hold up great and nothing's better than real leather boots; they just look best.

As far as the leather working goes, yes you do need a bunch of tools, but if you have a Tandy Leather fairly close to you, I've heard they have workshops where you can go in and use their tools. (I'm sure they want you to buy something - but since you will need leather anyway, that should be enough.)
aimeekitty ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh really? That's a great idea, maybe I can go sometime.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Tandy does offer open workshops, and the one I go to is extremely helpful. They are very willing to show you techniques, answer questions, etc. Also, we are all here to help as well, so don't be intimidated by making the belt. It's not as hard as it seems, and it's very rewarding when you are finished. Like Bob says, it's like "earning your wings."

As far as the metal pieces go, I can help you out there too. I have a formally accepted/canon costume now, so I will put a listing in the "For Sale" thread sometime soon. If you need info sooner, pm me and I'll forward contact info.

The Russian Officer's boots are a pretty good solution. I have some myself, but I must say, those Todd's Costume ones are really dead on. I'm going to trade up for those.

Best of luck with your build, keep us all posted on your progress.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: