About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c07fb8b6191bf89962b163c281d1aaffMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Detachable blade carrying?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks. Very interesting! I may have to try something like that... Smile

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some pretty nifty ideas! I'll keep these in mind whenever I get to planning for a new lightsabre with removable blade.. ^^
ZachLovesStarWars (Zachary Messer)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithariRog wrote:
Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Any chance you might be able to post a picture of this? Of the tube/pocket thingy, that is. For some reason I'm having a hard time picturing it... >>;;

Here you go:

First up, here's a close up of the top and bottom "tubes" I sewed into the inner seam of my Jedi Master's robe. These tubes were sewed using an anti-ravel stitch on my sewing machine...then hand sewed to the inner seam.

Here's a pic of the whole thing:

Want to see how it looks in use? Just look at any pics of me wearing the robe Wink

May we get a video of it in action? It sounds very impressive if you can sit in it and no-one notices the blade.
matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granny-Wan wrote:
I've seen a long,narrow pocket sewn into the inside of the cloak, along a side seam. Never tried it though, so I don't know how comfortable it would be. You might not be able to sit down with the blade in there.

Considering that the blade from a saber would be over half of my height, I don't think storing it in my robes would be a viable option. LOL Razz
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A video?

Sadly, I don't have the means to offer a video of my hidden lightsaber system in action.

I will tell you that as I walk, no one is the wiser that I have a blade hidden in my robe. However...my robe is a very full (screen accurate) robe. Some of the less full robes might not fair as well in hidding the blade.

As for sitting? pfft...Jedi don't sit...we are always on the move to guard the galaxy against Sith invasion!!! lol But seriously...I cannot easily sit where the blade is not obviously present. It's not horrible, but...unless I drape the robe just right, sitting will reveal the blade. However...honestly, I don't do much sitting in my Jedi.

If I do get the ability to make a video, I'll post it Wink

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
roguehunter (Russell Hunter)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already downloaded your (SithariRog) tutorial on the Jedi Robe and I will be adding these pics to it also. Great tutorials and I am looking forward to seeing my robe come into being from these. The "hidden pocket" for the detachable blade is an awesome idea! And you're right, Jedi don't sit, they actually "levitate" a few millimeters above their seats.... Ben
LCJ Support Staff
LCJ Support Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to sit anyway with all the pouches around your belt... can't lean back on a chair. I love the blade pocket in the robe idea.... I'm gonna do that to one of my robes. I hardly wear the robe though, I start out with it on and then take it off after a short while. Kinda like Obi-Wan in RotS... always losing the robe!

"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing!"

"Don't Dream it, BE IT!"
Tokana (Tonia Antilla)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great ideas here! I found quickly that wearing the saber on the clip with the blade attached was a bad idea. I tripped a lot. jeez

A great student is what the teacher hopes to be.
~Jedi Proverb
Jedi Leda ()
LCJ Support Staff
LCJ Support Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time I wear the one without the blade. it's just a prop and doesn't have one. Then I carry the bladed one to pose and twirl and whatever.... Depends on the event. Kids sometimes ask me why I have two lightsabers and I say... well the one on my belt... that's the real one. Wink

"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing!"

"Don't Dream it, BE IT!"
BedlamX (Tommy Sutton)
Dantooine Base CO
Dantooine Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a slightly different approach to keeping my blade handy when I do not want to keep it in the saber for whatever reason. I have a black "sock" I made that the blade fits into and then it flaps over at the opening. I run a thin strap from end to end and sling it across my back. As my jedi gear is green and black, it blends nicely and if asked what it is, I usually come up with something like a flute or long smoking pipe (varies every time I am asked). Not the best idea in the world, but it allows me to sit and leave the robe off if I want while having easy access to the blade for pics.

When the blade is in the saber, the sock folds up small enough to go in my belt pouches or my pocket.
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally get my wife to squire for me and she carries the blade when I have the hilt slung on my belt. But that flashlight sheath is pretty slick; I may have to try that for my Imperial Knight when it's done...

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
The Sugar Jedi formerly known as The Grey Elf
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Skywalker2B ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a similar solution to Roger's, except mine is a full "sock" the same color as my robe. It works great.

Steve M.
Mitch Andor Ri´chard (who bares a strong resemblance to Corran Horn)
RebelJedi77 (Jason Stoxen)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fett263 wrote:
So do you Jedi take advice from Sith Lords? Razz

I use a Stretch Flashlight holder to carry and keep my removable blade hidden on my Vader costume. I picked it up at my local Lowe's hardware. You obviously can't sit with it but clipping it to my belt I can easily store my blade while at an event and it is the perfect size for my Ultrasaber blade.

Example:

I also allows for a pretty cool trick of taking my unlit saber off of my belt hook, inserting the blade behind my back (under the capes) and then pulling out a lit lightsaber.

Click the image below for a short video (sorry it's from a cell phone camera so it's a little grainy):

Thank you Fett263! I actually went to Home Depot last night and picked one up and modified it to go better with my Jedi belt when the robe is not concealing it.

Jedi Will ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this Flashlight holder idea. What type of paint did you use to mod it for your Jedi belt?
RebelJedi77 (Jason Stoxen)
Active Legion Member

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Will wrote:
I really like this Flashlight holder idea. What type of paint did you use to mod it for your Jedi belt?

I actually bought some Tarrago color dye to re-color my black outer belt to brown (to comply with standards) and had a LOT left over, so I thought I would try it. It took SEVERAL applications, but the result speaks for itself. Plus, since it is a dye and not a paint, it *should* be a more permanent solution than paint. Since I just finished the coloring this morning (started late last night), time will tell just how permanent it will really be!

Dye (Amazon): http://www.amazon.com/Tarrago-Shine-Color-Double-Leather/dp/B003UM88ZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366913034&sr=8-1&keywords=tarrago+111

Holster (Home Depot): http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-Lite-Holster-Stretch-LHS-03/203002220#
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: