About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6b08fd92b2f3e3add45504f5f7552ae8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Welcome to Australia, Naboo!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Welcome to Australia, Naboo!!! Reply with quote

G'day mates,

Just noticed that some administrator on forums has moved you to the Australia section of forums. Had to laugh. Bondi is over there... We already seem to have half of the Kiwi population living there already! Wink

If its a mistake, it's funny, if it is not... Welcome to the family! Great to have you aboard the ANZAC Rebel Legion alliance!

Fyr
[/b]

Tython Base Facebook Page
Craigorski (Craig Haskell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you know that they just finished the bridge between sydney and Auckland Laughing
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Smile I have subtly suggest the region be renamed Oceania because while Australasia is technically a more correct one politcally it's confusing as heck for visitors.

Oceania also calls to mind peaceful whale singing in the distance and yet and at the same time outdoor water sports which I think is a nice tie to Kit Fisto.... He seems like a surfer dude... Wink
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does seem pretty cool. But the Asia/Pacific region would be a better Oceania than Australia, I'd think. At this rate we may hav a base for every state... You'll be the easternmost state, then... Wink

I'd love to see that bridge, though. Or a tunnel, perhaps...

stormraven ()
Active Legion Member

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neimhaille wrote:
Yep Smile I have subtly suggest the region be renamed Oceania.

I agree Thumbs up , if NZ and Oz are to be in the same region this would be great name for the region. hugs
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it actually works for both: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Atlas_of_Oceania
Also it's good enough for Fan Force Wink

Basically it'll be a good place for future neighbouring islands to have more regional help should they crop up Smile
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely right! That's a cool wiki page, neimhaille!

How many active members do you have over there?

MattG (Matt Glasgow)
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyr Mureys wrote:
How many active members do you have over there?

We've currently got 11 costumers on our books, but one base member is heading back to the US in a few months.
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neimhaille wrote:

Also it's good enough for Fan Force Wink

That is the specific reason I think we should not use that name to be honest. I would rather see something that's different, like Australasia or Asia/ Pacific

stormraven ()
Active Legion Member

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we are also in the South Pacific so that makes all South Pacific Islanders. Cool
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure I'm hot for that one *lol*

starfirephoenix (Alison)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this! Smile You're our neighbours Wink
Master Vos (Tim)
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certainly some interesting idea's on the web as to what our region should be called.

This question was asked on several different websites and I will post up some of the answers:

Quote:
What is another name for the Australia and New Zealand area, apart from Australasia?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

- yes antipodes is an informal name for the area.i think it is more specifically used for a group of rocky islands off new zealand but can be used for aus & nz also.
you could also use Oceania but is more broader based name as it also includes the pacific islands of polynesia, micronesia etc...

Other Answers:

- Antipodes would work, I would have said Oceania as well but that includes all those other (relatively) close Pacific islands.

- Most international official region breakdowns call the region Oceania. This includes Australia, New Zealand and the nearby pacific islands.

- Antipodes, Downunder, Oceania, South Pacific. These are all good alternatives for Australia & NZ.

Note - Antipodes is really only relevant to the British, as NZ or there abouts is the direct opposite point of Britain on a globe of the world.

- THere are quite a few names I guess....Australasia, Oceania, the Antipodies....even South Pacific. Down Under is what other people call Nz/Oz

Personally I like "Down Under". I must admit never heard the term "Antipodes" certainly very different.

Quote:
Antipodes
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other uses, see Antipode (disambiguation).

In geography, the antipodes ( /ænˈtɪpədiːz/; from Greek: ἀντίποδες,[1] from anti- "opposed" and pous "foot") of any place on Earth is the point on the Earth's surface which is diametrically opposite to it. Two points that are antipodal (/ænˈtɪpədəl/) to each other are connected by a straight line running through the center of the Earth.

In Britain and Ireland, "the Antipodes" is often used to refer to Australia and New Zealand, and "Antipodeans" to their inhabitants.[2] Geographically the antipodes of Britain and Ireland are in the Pacific Ocean, south of New Zealand. This gave rise to the name of the Antipodes Islands of New Zealand, which are close to the antipodes of London at about 50° S 179° E. The antipodes of Australia are in the North Atlantic Ocean, while parts of Spain, Portugal, and Morocco are antipodal to New Zealand.

This map shows the antipodes of each point on the Earth's surface – the points where the blue and yellow overlap are land antipodes - most land has its antipodes in the ocean. This map uses the Lambert azimuthal equal-area projection. The yellow areas can be considered to be opposite reflections of the blue areas but on the inner "surface" of the globe of the Earth.

The same map, from the perspective of the Western Hemisphere. Here the blue areas can be considered to be opposite reflections of the yellow areas but on the inner "surface" of the globe of the Earth.

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
MattG (Matt Glasgow)
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My closest affiliation would actually be to "Oceania" for a collective name. I agree that although "Australasia" is technically a good term for the region, the subtly of the small added syllable does elude and confuse some not used to it.

Last edited by MattG (Matt Glasgow) on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant stand that term antipodes... Sounds like it should have 6 legs !!

Whenever news people refer to this region they always say Australasia, I've not heard Oceania used anywhere else other than Fan Force.

What is the difference in the terms ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: