About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=374eef8c6d5529d5de0740d2310e95e3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH Leia Gown... good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bombergirl ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: ANH Leia Gown... good? Reply with quote

Ok, it's been a while since I last posted... having had twins XD

Anyhow, I think it's ok. The hood seems odd to me, but from everything I've read on here it's as it should be. I welcome input. Hopefully get this thing approved soon.

I'll redit these images so they are smaller. Give me a sec or three.

And yes... the belt is on upside down... I was in a hurry as the kids were with us.

Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first glance it looks good! *Tip* for the belt - apply a bit of rubber cement (tanners bond style rubber cement works well) to keep the plates from spinning around as you wear it.

As for the hood, only minor nitpick is that it might not be cut deep enough... hence we are seeing the background behind your neck when the hood is up. But it is minor. Perhaps though that is what is seeming not right to you? I see from your back side photo no gap is visible so that is good.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
bombergirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just that it seems short. However, as it is, it hangs down properly when down. I followed the dimensions from a website (I think it was one linked off your site). I realize I am a little taller which could (and has) changed some things.

Do you think I should redo the hood? I don't know how often I'll wear it up, but still. I had it up because the buns came out so-so. I think that'll just take some practice, though your idea of hairnets might be the way to go.

Regarding the belt: Thanks for the tip. I'll do that.

Regarding makeup, I could have sworn I had used a link on your site for makeup recommendation (before the children Smile ). You don't happen to know of a guide for that do you? I haven't drilled through all the search results yet, but not finding specifics. I actually had bought the makeup recommended in that tutorial, but apparently I didn't save the address in favorites.

Last edited by bombergirl () on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not the length so much, (that's what effects how low it hangs in the back when off your head) as the depth of the rectangle. It could just be how it is positioned on your head, it could be your head/neck is taller than the person's tutorial you referenced? I know I drafted my hood just a little differently than the tutorial I linked to on my site... in fact I may have added more depth to it. I always do that with my patterns though, make a muslin and then make tweaks.

If I were still a costume judge I'd say it's fine and does not merit redoing it at all. I'm not anymore, but I have a feeling you are perfectly good to go Smile

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
bombergirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! And thank you for your site. I found it to be very helpful and definitely gave me more confidence when putting this together.
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bombergirl wrote:

Regarding makeup, I could have sworn I had used a link on your site for makeup recommendation (before the children Smile ). You don't happen to know of a guide for that do you? I haven't drilled through all the search results yet, but not finding specifics. I actually had bought the makeup recommended in that tutorial, but apparently I didn't save the address in favorites.

I recall the only official make-up reference is possibly Empire Strikes Back and her make-up is slightly different in that movie - the colors much more warm peach with cinnamon brownish lipstick in that movie. http://padawansguide.com/makeup.shtml

My best observation of photos and screen grabs from ANH is that she has on slightly warm pink/rosy colors on cheeks and lips (lips finished off with a gloss), very dark brown eyeliner, and some lighter browns on the lids. Sometimes it looks like she has some pinkish shadow on the lids - it varies (but looks very pinkish in the Ceremonial scene - they probably added some glam oomph for that scene?)

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are the right track! And Kay_Dee (as usual) is so helpful Very Happy
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Princess Leah ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to redo the spacing of your belt conches as well. Leach the center front and the piece in back that covers the snaps then scootch the rest down until they're all evenly spaced.
Domnu (Christina Maher)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the belt suppose to have a point in the front? It also looks like the piece is upside down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: