About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cc96af67c5132c6d816a63ed806ab643Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Smooth Cast Molding and casting seminar-Countryside IL
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....now that my head has stopped spinning...
Where I am glad that I went....and I did learn some things in the morning about the various properties of all of the different kinds of molding and casting material...
what to do ..
what not to do...
I think I was the only one in the class who had actually done this sort of thing....and the afternoon was some practical applications that I have already done...
so it was kind of a snooze....
but I did come away with some knowledge.

One thing that intrigued me...which I will have to try is handling casts that are still soft....things like the larger wrist comms might be able to be bent more as they harden...worth a try...

but...
during break I was poking around and found something I had not seen previously...and voila...it was one of the main reasons I had come...
casting blasters...

behold...

Crix...what I was bummed out about is that they didn't do lifecasting like I thought they would...
but...
part of the seminar fee included a lifecasting kit..
where the kit takes you through making a mold of your hand and arm...
that is rather a waste of product...
I mean...
like do I really need a replica of my hand and arm?
But what this kit contains is the product that can be used on the human body...so the kit is yours....and I am sure that with the on-line videos, you can take this product and experiment around with it for your Chewie.

Sigh...
it was like being a kid in a candy store....such wondrous things...
Very Happy

lol...
something important that I really don't do...
so important I took a photo of the slide on the screen

Some of the stuff we were making in the afternoon with cold cast product, translucent product, glow in the dark tints, plastic backed with foam..

neato stuff...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a chance to go. I always told myself that one day I would go to one of these.

Maybe one day...
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Glad you had a chance to go. I always told myself that one day I would go to one of these.

Maybe one day...

To be honest Bob....these are really for someone who has never even done anything with these products....you have been working with them for some time so I doubt that they could show you much that you don't already know...

Wink

One thing I did find out that was (to me) important was using release agents in the casting process...

I know years ago I had gotten some casted pieces that no matter what...the paint would not stick to the piece...
apparently ....where you can use release agents in making the mold...
it is not a good idea to use them IN the mold when casting as they don't really wash off...and unless you sand the piece to remove the release agent...you will not be able to paint..
where light sanding is always a good idea...it is not always practical. Pieces with a lot of intricate detail you will not be able to effectively sand into those tiny crevaces to get out all that release agent and the paint won't stick.

Ease Release 200 is the only spray that WILL wash off .....but supposedly will only wash off with Cascade Powdered detergent....nothing else..
something in the Cascade brand is supposed to work.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: