About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8f7fa1421a575b3dd61a7c2ca6bab963Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Updates to the forum COMPLETE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Leah ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Updates to the forum COMPLETE Reply with quote

Hello ladies and gents!
As mentioned previously, and one of the things that was discussed between RebelSenator and I when we took over the detachment and this part of the RL forums, it's time to start to clean up this forum. It's clogged with old Threads, duplicate threads, and a whole mishegas of things.

What Rebel Senator and I discussed was paring down duplicate threads into one master thread for the ease of future research and archiving. We also want to update the tutorial section complete with links to specific posts in threads that house particular gems of knowledge and research. For you, dear poster, this means that individual build threads may go away. Or, another option is for build threads to be active during the build then archived into the master thread (if that is even possible) and links compiled into the tutorials.

Introduction threads. I like introduction threads. That gives our new detachment members a chance to say hi, show off their goods and what not. I'm suggesting that after a month they be archived into a new section of just intro threads. That way they aren't completely gone and should there be anything you need to find in that thread, it's still there.

I'd like to hear your suggestions, Royalty and Senatorial costumers. Is is your resource as well, and so your opinion definitely matters! What do you want to see updated in our little section of the internet?
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would also like to hear ideas on how to best organize our tutorials. Take a look at some other areas of the forum like the fringe for example for ideas.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a character resource list similar to what they have in fringe, and add links to useful websites, reference pictures, tutorials and helpful build/completed WIP threads. Maybe section it into Padme, Leia, Senators, Handmaidens etc

I like the idea of introduction threads too! Very Happy

Member of:
- Rebel Legion - Elstree Base
- Mandalorian Mercs - Vok'Chi Clan
- 501st - UK Garrison
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree that it's great that you are thinking about revamping this forum I must say that I don't agree with getting rid of the individual build threads. Build threads are an enormous help both for the builder and for the costumers that come after. I know that I get both a boost from reading people's reactions in the thread, and I also think that individual build threads are a lot easier to go through when you are looking for how other people have worked on similar projects. Compare that to for examplethe Jedi Council threads, eventhough they in some cases contains most of the research on some costumes, it's very hard to go through and find the information because the threads are simply too big,.

The build threads are also very effective as introductory threads. My suggestion would be that instead of getting rid of the build threads, make sure that there is a good master thread where you have links to the individual threads, and where you can have general discussions about the costume or how to find certain materials.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support Obi Anne's suggestion. Smile I don't think it will be a good idea at all to remove the build threads. Instead having a master thread with general discussion for all film costumes would be a great idea. Just pin them at the top of the forum so they never get lost.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many pins gets clustered; I'd be more in favor of a nice big index of the major costume threads (and for the Tutorial section as well).

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great feedback. Please keep your thoughts/ideas coming. This will be a work in progress.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi Anne wrote:
While I agree that it's great that you are thinking about revamping this forum I must say that I don't agree with getting rid of the individual build threads. Build threads are an enormous help both for the builder and for the costumers that come after.

Yes, and that's why it would be helpful to get rid of the *individual* build threads and instead merge those individual build threads into *one* thread.
See, it's NOT helpful for costumers who come after if they have to search through the entire forum for *several* build threads.
If they can access ALL build threads in, well, one thread, that's much easier, IMHO.
That's why I'm all for merging all threads on one and the same costume into one thread. On other forums, if two (or more) people work on exactly the same costume, that's stored in one thread. That way the people who work on the same costume can give advice to each other and share their work more easily than if they'd have several threads.
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps something like what the Jedi forum has with subforums for major characters that have all the threads about that person's character. They have Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Luke and the other face characters and generic Jedi use the "main" forum page. It really cleaned it up and makes it easier for people looking for those to find the threads the are looking for. I think one reason why so many individual build threads come up here is that it can be really hard to find the thread for the costume you are looking for and if you don't have a lot of time searching all the pages of the forum for that one thread its easier to start another, if all the threads for each "popular" character (if I'm remembering right the Jedi forum decided based on numerical % of threads about a particular character to break out a subforum - that same math could work for us) were in a separate subforum someone looking for one particular costume would only have to look in that particular area for the thread making it easier to find and less likely to have hasty duplications. I do realize that if we just did one Leia and one Padme subforum for example that the Padme would be not much better than what we have now (nothing against Leia but numerically she has far fewer changes of dress than her mother) so perhaps a Leia subforum and then a Padme subforum for each movie (or maybe TPM and AOTC together and TCW and ROTS together?) - that should make it more even. And of course look at anyone else who has a large number of threads and break that out into a subforum. It keeps the number of pinned threads down but still keeps them all easy to find and centralized.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to say that having just one main thread for the costume can also be hard for the new costumer. Many here are very talented and it can be quite intimidating for someone who's new to post in a thread that's filled with gorgeous photos already.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi Anne wrote:
I also want to say that having just one main thread for the costume can also be hard for the new costumer. Many here are very talented and it can be quite intimidating for someone who's new to post in a thread that's filled with gorgeous photos already.

May be true for a few; but for others, good build threads can offer TONS of information and possibilities.
Have a look at my postings in the 'Padme Travel dress' thread for example - I think I inspired many with my unusual work methods and materials, and showed them that what they thought impossible to make (I know some of them thought that of the metal headdress!) IS indeed possible using considerably easily obtainable materials, if they're just willing to spend time on it and, well, *try* it. And I know that I've been inspired by the work methods of others as well.
As for your argumentation, those people who are intimidated by other costumer's works would already be (much!) intimidated by pictures of the original costumes; so I don't consider that a very valid argument.
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean with intimidated is that if someone has posted photos of a great costume, then to come in as a new person and posting a picture of a WIP, that can be quite scary.

Also I think that your refuge travel gown thread is great, because you can follow your work step by step. For the "big" Padmé or Amidala costumes it's usually not much of a problem since there are rarely more than one person working on them at the same time. For the more common Leia costumes though it would mean that one thread would grow quite quick and it would be hard to follow the progress of a costume if you have one post about the beginning of the costume, then in the next another person comes in and is just putting the finishing touches on his or her costume.

I would also think that it would be easier for the LCJs if there was a personal build thread and they could follow each person's progress rather than having to sort some progress pics from a lot of other progress pics in the same thread.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put together a rough draft of how our little section of the forum will be organized with the update. I'm having a few of you look it over for feedback and then I will post it up here for everyone to give input on. Very Happy
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone who gave feedback here or by pm. It's been very helpful. I think the general census to keep it simple and not complicate things with too many selections. With that in mind, it is likely we will have the following sections. Thoughts?

Padme
Leia
Handmaidens
Senate Guards
Old Republic Senators & Royalty
Expanded Universe
Any costume that does not fall under one of these headings, would "live" so to speak in the general area.
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it would be a pain, but would there be sub-divisions of, say Padme, with forums on each of her costumes? I know its a lot. It helped a bit in the jedi forums, like Luke or Anakin (even though some people still start a new thread even though there's an existing one on something like belts).

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: