About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=af29a27f3aba054b672b2dc9488c7261Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Episode II travel/refugee gown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooo, exciting! I'm super excited to see how this turns out; I can tell it's going to be gorgeous, but seeing it will be awesome. Mr. Green

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you :-D

By now I've leaf-coppered (opposed to leaf gilded; which would involve gold opposed to copper...) the headdress. I do have a step-by-step walkthrough for that on my website (currently at the bottom of that page, but it will go up higher when I post further progress later) and am honestly just too lazy to reformat all those pictures and text for the forum.

Here's the result so far, with the leaf coppering finished:

Tomorrow I'll continue the work by faking the 'black tarnish' on the now metallic headdress. Stay tuned Wink
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annnddd.... finished!

Again, I've taken lots of pics and wrote too many words of the process how I tarnished the headdress - all of which can be found on my website.

Let's compare my finished headdress to the original headdress.
For the records, in the following image, the original headdress is shown in the pictures on the left side, while my reproduction is on the right side. Also keep in mind that the photos of the original headdress were probably taken under studio light, while I photographed mine on a cloudy day outside. Click to enlarge:

I'd say that while my headdress isn't an absolutely perfect reproduction, it's still (very!) recognizable.
By the way, the headdress weights 450 grams (15.873 oz). That's very well tolerable, IMHO.
Also, again for the records, I started working on this headdress on October 30th, 2012 and was finished on the 3rd of December 2012 - with a considerable amount of breaks in between (during which I cured my epoxy allergy, waited for new materials etc.).

I'll continue the work on this costume by approximately mid-January to beginning of February 2013, which is when I'll have the fabrics to make the dress at hand. Thanks for following me so far :-)
Sothis ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my... That's breathtaking! Congratulations on finishing this part of the costume! By the way... Is it possible for you to take a picture of you wearing the headdress? Rolling Eyes
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sothis wrote:
Oh my... That's breathtaking! Congratulations on finishing this part of the costume! By the way... Is it possible for you to take a picture of you wearing the headdress? Rolling Eyes

Sure! I can do that tomorrow, when my son is home early from school. Today he'll come home late when it's almost dark; and I always prefer taking pictures in daylight opposed to flash / inside.

And thank you Smile
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or wait - I quickly snapped a pic myself.
Hope you don't mind that I'm not wearing any makeup and my hair is a mess Wink

Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might not be precise but it's Danm close! Wow nicely done

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakin Skywalker wrote:
It might not be precise but it's Danm close! Wow nicely done

Yes, it's particularly close if you don't have pictures of the original headdress right next to it (because in that case you wouldn't be able to compare directly how I goofed with some of the overlaying shapes).

And thank you Smile
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous! Amadalia
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That looks absolutely spectacular! I really can't tell from the photos that it's paper cording in epoxy and not metal. Is it still light and comfortable?

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaV317 wrote:
Fabulous! Amadalia

Thank you! (That headdress on that emoticon you posted is next on my list by the way Wink )

SongofAmazon wrote:
Wow! That looks absolutely spectacular! I really can't tell from the photos that it's paper cording in epoxy and not metal.

Thank you!
That was the point of painting and leaf-coppering it Wink It's not about the material you use, it's about what you do with that material to make it look like something else.
Also, don't forget it's not just paper cording; there's also a huge amount (approximately 100 yards...) of two different thicknesses of cotton thread involved Wink

Quote:
Is it still light and comfortable?

As I already said:
By the way, the headdress weights 450 grams (15.873 oz).

That's just a bit more than what my (waist-long) hair weights when it's wet. Also, the weight is evenly distributed between front- and back cap; and the cap, fortunately, developed no tiny 'pressure spots' during the work; so it's still comfortable.

After I took that pic above, I just kept it on my head and practically 'forgot' about it... until I dropped something on the floor about an hour later and when I bent down, the headdress slipped from my head (because it's still lacking the rubber strap that fixes the headdress around the back / bottom of the head - that, too, is something that can be found on the original headdress).
See.. it's so comfortable that I even forgot about wearing it for an hour Wink
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A million points of awesome to you. That headpiece is spectacular! And lightweight? That's the holy grail of costuming. Mr. Green

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
A million points of awesome to you. That headpiece is spectacular!

Thank you! Smile

Quote:
And lightweight? That's the holy grail of costuming. Mr. Green

And how.
I remember my last trooping wearing my Jamillia costume, which has approximately 30 yards of fabric in it.
It was outside and it was raining - not hard, but enough that the dress started soaking up water from the floor.
Eight hours later I was barely able to get back into the changing room, which was on the third floor in a building without an elevator.
The dress was SO heavy (and wet to the hips!) that I barely managed to climb the stairs, had to pause every few steps to catch my breath, and basically stopped all traffic on those stairs by doing so because they weren't wide enough to let anyone pass me by because of my large skirt Crying or Very sad
(And don't even let me get started on the subject how long I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed.. to get all the mud washed out of my cream colored embroidered underdress.)

That's how important 'lightweight' is; not just for headdresses. Never forget; when trooping, you're going to wear whatever you wear for 8-10 hours straight. It MUST be at least tolerable.
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi wrote:

And how.
I remember my last trooping wearing my Jamillia costume, which has approximately 30 yards of fabric in it.
It was outside and it was raining - not hard, but enough that the dress started soaking up water from the floor.
Eight hours later I was barely able to get back into the changing room, which was on the third floor in a building without an elevator.
The dress was SO heavy (and wet to the hips!) that I barely managed to climb the stairs, had to pause every few steps to catch my breath, and basically stopped all traffic on those stairs by doing so because they weren't wide enough to let anyone pass me by because of my large skirt Crying or Very sad
(And don't even let me get started on the subject how long I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed.. to get all the mud washed out of my cream colored embroidered underdress.)

Oh my! And I thought I some real trooper moments. I must say, you got me beat. Shocked
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Bravo! Excellent, breath-taking work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: