About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f63f00f8fda4a1cbdddd22bf2d30d52bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Episode III--Dressing Gown--Help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Radiance ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Episode III--Dressing Gown--Help needed Reply with quote

Hey all you lovely ladies.

I've been wanting to do this costume for a while and I started on it then ran into a snag, now I'm starting again and I need you help.

This is the dressing gown from Epi III--the one that people can't decide if it's blue or purple. I really really believe it is purple (there is a behind the scenes picture that shows the costume against a blue background and it is definitely purple).

Does anyone have some idea of where to get the fabric that is actually purple/eggplant? Or an idea of how to dye the white of this fabric? I can find poodle knit in white and in navy blue easily, but finding it in a nice purple/eggplant is proving difficult. I have the edging and the tassels all done, now it's just the main part.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks ladies.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Episode III--Dressing Gown--Help needed Reply with quote

Dark Radiance wrote:
Or an idea of how to dye the white of this fabric? I can find poodle knit in white and in navy blue easily, but finding it in a nice purple/eggplant is proving difficult.

How to dye the fabric would depend on the *fiber content* of the fabric.
I have no idea what the fiber content of 'poodle knit' is - Cotton? Rayon? Silk? Polyester? Or a blend of those?

If you can tell me the fiber content I can tell you what to use to dye it; but without knowing the fiber content, it's impossible.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is polyester or nylon. It's definitely synthetic.

Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I'd recomment iDye For Polyester Fabrics (the colors that are listed second, not the ones on top).
To be precise, I'd buy the *blue* Poodle knit, weight it, buy an appropriate amout of *red* iDye Poly dye plus just a bit more of the *black* iDye Poly, get a HUGE pot and start by dyeing the fabric with the red dye.

The huge pot is unfortunately really necessary because polyester fibers only take the dye in simmering water, which a washing machine doesn't provide. Don't forget to keep the fabric MOVING while it's in that pot - not just 'stir around', but also 'tumble' and 'turn' the fabric while dyeing it.
And yes, I know how that can be a pita with huge amounts of fabric and hot water; but it's necessary.

Cut off a small piece from the red-dyed, originally blue fabric (which should now be purple) while it's still in the pot, rinse, dry with hair dryer (quicker than having to wait!), look at the result.
If it's the shade of purple you want... good. Put the dyed, wet fabric into the washing machine and wash once more with detergent to rinse it.
If you want it darker... take the fabric out of the pot, add a bit of the black dye (and I really mean 'just a bit' - like, less than a quarter of a teaspoon - with that stuff you can always add more black later, but it's impossible to bleach that dye once it's on the fabric!) to the dye bath, stir well, put the fabric back in... simmer... cut piece off, dry, check color...
In case it's still too light, repeat the 'black dye' part until you're satisfied... then wash and rinse.

Hope that helps Smile
Dark Radiance ()
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a synthetic for sure. There is a bit of spandex in it. I do have access to another "fur" of sorts that is 100% polyester.

I'll take a look at that dye. I may just wait until the weather warms back up and do it on my outside burners so I don't dye anything else in my kitchen.

Quick question about a step (and this may come across as a stupid question): when you put the dyed fabric into the washing machine, do you want to wring out as much of the dye water as you can, or just pick it up out of the pot and put it in the machine? Also, tumble dry or line dry?

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Total novice when it comes to dyeing things so this should be interesting.

And if anyone comes across poodle or eyelash fabric that works, please let me know! I'm having the hardest time finding something that works. =)
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fabric is actually a purplish blue. I might have the rest of the fabric I used to make my own and it should be enough to make a robe but I have to look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: