About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2c3078c94d12aff29dbb4b612a834f25Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Episode II travel/refugee gown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spectacular! Nicely done with the different designs down the front of the fan. Just, wow.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone :-)

On a different subject, I just love details (you wouldn't have guessed that, would you? Wink ) - so I'm currently researching Padmé's suitcase. Which is kinda weird and L-shaped:

You can also see it in the background on top of another suitcase in this picture:

Here's the 1,000,000$ question: What is that thing?

My best guesses would be that it's either some kind of special suitcase for skiing boots or roller blades... OR... that it's a repurposed, painted, "empty" old CRT monitor (TV or computer). It's definitely NOT a regular hard case suitcase.

Has anyone ever seen anything likely, shape-wise?
Don't think about 'suitcases' (because that's just what it's supposed to be in the movie; but not necessarily what it *originally* was)... think 'everything else'.
Also, forget about which side is 'up' in the movie - if this once was 'something else', it's well possible that it's upside down when repurposed as a suitcase Wink

Ideas?
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the suitcase (the CRT monitor guess seems like a pretty good one to me, though), but WOW, the headdress is looking amazing! I'm really loving all the progress pictures.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Very Happy

I've worn the headdress for the first time today to see if it fits.
And, oh my - I've NEVER worn any kind of headdress THAT comfortable. I barely feel it - weight-wise, it's more like some sort of heavier veil. And it fits perfectly (additional bulk of the veil that I still have to make already taken into consideration)!
Definitely an improvement over my Jamillia headdress (which is heavy because it has a steel ring), my Apailana headdress (which is lightweight but a tad tight, so I can put it on without problems but not off - that always ends in bleeding ears!) or my Red Invasion in-progress headdress (which fits but is much heavier!).
Headdress-wise, I think the Travel gown will be my favourite comfy costume Very Happy

After testing if it fits, I've added another layer of epoxy resin on the inside of the headdress and also a layer of thin woven fiberglass on the inside of both halos to stabilize it even more (so even if it should fall down, it won't get out of shape).
Unfortunately I've now run out of epoxy resin and have to wait until next week to buy new resin before I can add yet another coat (this time from the outside) of resin to the entire headdress and a layer of thin woven fiberglass on the outside of the 'cap' part before I can start to paint it.

So if I go considerably silent for a week (unless I find a vertical CRT monitor that would work for the suitcase...), lack of material is why. Maybe I'm going to post a picture of me wearing the unfinished headdress tomorrow, though Smile
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the suitcase, I was thinking it made me think of a case for an old electric typewriter or some sort of musical instrument case like a french horn or something...

RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does kinda look like an old cpu.

What Shocked a head dress that's comfortable! Don't tease with such ideas!! LOL

As much as I love costumes that require a headpiece, I have shyed away from them since my neck injury from whip lash. I can only wear my Twi'lek for a couple of hours at a time and with a lot of tylenol on hand.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your headdress progress is amazing, Naergi! Amadalia It's very beautiful.

To an earlier comment; I didn't learn weaving in school, but I've touched it outside of school many years ago. Another thing I wouldn't mind actually learning some day.
Also I did a sort of laughsnort at your comment about saving your thread from morphing into a Breha thread. Wink But the morphing was rather interesting.

The suitcase... hmm. To me it looks a bit like an old tv or cpu, but not quite. I'm going more along the specialized suitcase option, I think. That suitcase is just weird.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always thought that the suitcase looks like a mellaphone case (its a marching french horn. It is very similar to the cases I would be tripping over at marching band practice all the time getting the flags out of the truck (or putting them back in.) You could check with a NICE music shop (not all sell the more "formal" instruments so make sure it is one that doesn't just sell "rock band" instruments) and see if they have any that people are getting rid of. Once you put the instrument in they can be very heavy so a lot of more serious musicians switch to a lighter padded fabric case with pockets (instead of the strange spaces in the lining of the hard cases to stick things like valve oil or cleaning materials.) - my sister and I bought new cases basically when we bought our professional level instruments. If you rip out the insides I bet you could make a hard case pretty light.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, everyone! I'm really touched by the nice comments on my headdress and other progress.

I had promised photos of me wearing the headdress.
Unfortunately I couldn't take them yet; I currently have an allergic outbreak and my face is swollen as if a gazillion bees had stung me Sad
Angelina Jolie would be very jealous of my lips; it would be pretty if my eyelids weren't also swollen so much that I can barely open my eyes and if it wouldn't itch so much.

This allergic outbreak by the way is a result of getting uncured epoxy resin on my skin - I didn't use latex gloves when applying it.
An epoxy resin allergy usually doesn't happen the first time you work with it, or the second time - for me, it took a year of working with it until I got this outbreak.

I remember the time when I worked with fiber etch, and the smoke from the chemicals when ironing them got into my eyes and made the skin from the *insides* of my eyelids (that's the part which is in constant contact with the *eyeballs!) shed. That resulted in weeks of fire red eyes, and the constant, 24-hours-feeling of having sand in my eyes. Not pretty!

So please, if chemicals you're working with have certain safety instructions - follow them by all means!
And no, "oh it's just a bit of epoxy resin and I've never been allergic to it" doesn't count, as you see. Epoxy resin allergy builds up over time. As I said I worked a year with it and never had problems before this.

So... pictures to follow as soon as I don't look like the Elephant man any more.

Concerning Padmé's suitcase:
I've spent almost a week now googling any possible (and impossible!) suitcases (and now have a great collection of pictures of many possible and impossible suitcases) - unfortunately, none of them look like Padmé's.
So maybe it's really taking an old monitor apart; I happen to have two broken ones in my basement - unfortunately they're horizontal monitors, not vertical ones; which means I'd have to cut one of them apart and take away a piece from the case just to make it more narrow.

I don't think I "want" a regular handbag for this dress (which I could make from the same fabric as the dress), I think some kind of light suitcase or trolley will just "look" better.

In case everything else fails, I could always have my trusted R2 follow me - in form of a trolley:

That would be something I could easily make by painting a regular hardcase trolley. Granted, it wouldn't be the exact suitcase Padmé is carrying; but it would be fun. Mr. Green

The mellaphone case isn't a bad idea; but from the pictures I've seen on the internet, the 'rounded part' goes two ways, which would result in an 'upside down T' shape, not in the L-shape that Padme carries; except if you'd cut away parts of the 'T'.

Something else... just thought I should mention it since two people used the wrong term in this thread:
An old, large monitor is a 'CRT', which is short for cathode ray tube (basically the thingie inside the monitor that creates the image on screen).
A CPU however (which is the term used by two people in this thread) is the tiny thingie inside your *computer*, usually built by either Intel or AMD - CPU is short for central processing unit.
I'm just explaining that in case someone else reads this thread and desperately starts searching for a 'CPU', then wonders why on earth anyone would think that this tiny thing could possibly be mistaken for Padmé's suitcase - no, we're looking for a *vertical* CRT monitor case (opposed to the usual, 'horizontal' layout of a monitor) Wink
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More headdress progress!

Before I add another layer of epoxy resin and, after that has cured, start to paint the headdress, here's something else I had to do:

I've added a layer of thin woven fiberglass over the 'cap' part - to smooth it out - and "sewn" that layer down with thinner cotton threads than those which I used for the weaving. That will give the 'wavy zigzag' appearance of the original headdresses' cap part.

Front:

Back:

Just in case you're interested - the inside of the headdress so far:

And now.. on to a last stabilizing layer of epoxy resin, which hopefully won't result in another allergic outbreak by me just 'looking' at it (this time I wear gloves etc.!) Confused
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very nice! Very Happy I hope you don't get another allergic attack. Shocked

(Also, please take every term I write with a pinch of salt when I write and post late in the night; my brain sometimes fails me). Rolling Eyes

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous as usual! And yes, let's all hope you don't have another allergic reaction. That's definitely a note for all of us to take as we work with chemicals! Shocked

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allergic reactions from costumes are no fun at all. I found out the hard way that I'm allergic to spirit gum after wearing a bald cap. Sad

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I need to thank everyone for the nice comments.
And now that I'm working with gloves (two layers... because they tend to break easily) and a mask, I stopped having allergic outbreaks.

So...

After I epoxied everything (and also added a row of *bias tape* around the outer edge before doing so - sorry, forgot to take pics...) and, of course, after the epoxy resin had cured, I've started to paint the headdress; which basically means - here comes what I consider the fun part.

First, a layer of glossy black paint:

I've used a rather thick paint to even out the threads; that's why it's considerably glossy and smooth all over now.
Note that I didn't paint the entire inside of the headdress; it's not necessary - that part will never be visible when I wear it (and also not if it's displayed on a styrofoam head); so painting the inside completely isn't necessary. In fact I'm afraid that black paint on the inside would rub off on the veil part when I wear it for hours, so I try to keep the amount of paint on the inside to a minimum.

Next step of "painting to fake the metallic look" tomorrow Mr. Green
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely amazing! Great job!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: