About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=69d6996ab72c65ce7150fd442aeab75aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Galen Marek - Jedi Adventure Robe
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CdrChaos ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Galen Marek - Jedi Adventure Robe Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm looking to join the Rebel Legion's florida base and wanted to get some advice on making Galen Marek's Jedi Adventure Robe costume. This is what I have so far, these are the best pictures I have since my friend who was taking pictures for me had shaky hands.

I'd apppreciate some constructive criticism with making this screen accurate, or formal as you'd say. Does anyone have any good renders in-game of what the torso part looks like? It's hard to make out even on my HDTV of exactly what i'd need to make the top part (the shirt part). Also i'm aware the colors are wrong for the hood, sleeves and pants, and that I need more belts.

JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

You're off to a good start with the concept of the adventure robe. It's a complex costume with lots of belts and leathers, so be prepared for some trips to Tandy in order to locate what you need, dye them, etc. I used 1" straps for the four waist ones and put quick release buckles on the end in order to achieve it. The inner chest part is actually armor - leather armor tooled or set up with that pattern. Under the outer tabbards I've got a brown dyed half belly cut on a 45 degree angle across the chest that attaches in the back with a quick release strap as well.

I would suggest first reviewing the standard that is published here:
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14193

This will give you a better idea of the materials and requirements you'll need for it to pass.

Required Items:

Light tan tunic

Light tan hood attached to tunic

Matching light tan pants

2 black shoulder bells w/ 6 ribs on each bell

Black Gloves

Dark khaki lower arm gauntlets from the elbow down to first row of knuckles

Off white tabbards (Front: 2 narrow tabbards reaching down to mid-shin Rear: one single tabbard reaching down to mid-calf, needs to be tapered in rear from the width of the shoulders at the top, to just inside width of waist)

Tabbards also needs to include a stiff collar at the neck (aprox 1")

Brown boots, rising above the ankle

2 spats around the ankle that matches color of tabbard, each spat has two clasps on both the inside and outside of spat

2 spats from the ankle to just below the knee that matches color of lower arm gauntlets, each spat has two clasps at the top on the outside of the leg.

4 separate black belts starting at the waist and going up (each belt aprox 1") each belt has a separate belt closure. The second belt from the bottom wraps inside the tabbard on the L side, and outside the tabbard on the R side.

Inner belt inside of tabbards w/ silver hexagon buckle

2 straps just above each knee each belt has a belt closure

2 straps attached from hexagon buckle and descending to leg straps; each set of straps are connected behind the leg

Non-toy lightsaber hilt or custom lightsaber hilts are allowed.

Short hair, does not have to be buzzed. But no long hair allowed.

Formal Requirements:
You must have at least two of the following items to be accepted:

Narrow silverish piping around complete edge of tabbards
Three 1/2" studs/rivets evenly spaced over the first row of knuckles on both lower arm gauntlets
Covertech Clip
Buzzed Starkiller hairstyle
Starkiller or Rahm Kota lightsaber hilt

And I've got a few good shots from the game.

Additional images are in a folder here: http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m600/JediMM/TFU2%20Ref%20Photos/Marek%20Death%20Star%20Duel/
CdrChaos ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem i'm having is trying to see clearly details on parts of the outfit. And it took me a while to figure out what a 'spat' is supposed to be. One detail I can't make out clearly is the belts and how they wrap around the legs and back to the hex buckle.

One thing, i'm having this made by a friend who's way better at sewing than I am. I'm picking this apart piece by piece so it's easier to get done. These are the points I need clarifying on;

The pants, sleeves and hood are supposed to be a matching shade of gray, correct? The guide says tan but every screenshot I look at and while playing they look gray.

The outer robe, can it be made of cloth and not leather or something like that? And will I be penalized if the seam on the collar at the top of the outer robe is visible? And can the hood be attached to the outer robe?

The four middle belts and the two that fall off to the right side are black, but they don't have to be a single belt correct? And do they have to be leather or can they be cloth? I'd like cloth more because the two that fall off the side would look better and would move more.

The black shirt, is there a specific length to how high the collar inside has to go? And is there a tutorial or something explaining how to make the shoulder bells?

The belts on the inside of the robe, they look tan, do you know how those are supposed to wrap so as not to come apart?

By spats, you mean the brown leg wraps at the bottom correct? And should have a collar at the bottom matching the outer robe. Also, does it matter what the clasps at the bottom of the leg collars are like?

Since the boots will be hidden completely by the pants anyway, do they absolutely have to be above the ankles?

The belts on the legs; brown, do they have to match the gauntlets and leg wraps? And there aren't any below the knee correct? Just the two above the knee, the one coming down from the buckle on the outside, and the one going up from the inside of the legs.

The gauntlets as I have them, will they be passing if I get a hole sewn into them so they go through my thumbs and cover the knuckles?

As for the formal requirments, if I only have the studs over the knuckles and the covertech clip on the waist belts, will that be enough? I don't want to have to buzz my hair that short every single time. And for the lightsaber, i'm going to get one of the generic ones from UltraSabers.com, will that be allowed?

Sorry for the million questions, I just want it to look great.

(Edit)
Sorry, one last thing, in those pictures is the second pattern for the outer robe. The original had the front parts thinner, as pictured below. Which pattern would be accepted? I liked the first one better because it didn't completely cover everything else.

Also, is it a problem if the two front parts of the outer robe fall normally down or do they have to flare outward a bit like in the screenshot you posted? Cause from playing they only do that during a fight or while posing. If he stands normal doing the idle animation in-game the two front parts fall normally.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The pants, sleeves and hood are supposed to be a matching shade of gray, correct? The guide says tan but every screenshot I look at and while playing they look gray.

Nope, I'd go with tan. This is probably something similar to movie lighting, where Han's coat on Hoth looks blue, when it's actually brown. There are some shots where you can see it's tan. I do think the hood is more a gray color, though, and all my shots support a different color between the two of them, so that's cool. Pants are definitely a khaki/tan color.

Quote:
The outer robe, can it be made of cloth and not leather or something like that? And will I be penalized if the seam on the collar at the top of the outer robe is visible? And can the hood be attached to the outer robe?

I'm guessing you mean the tabards on the outside. I guess cloth would be all right. I used naugahyde marine fabric from JoAnns because not only did it give it the shine that you see in game, it has those tiny little creases that you see in the cutscene renders. Check out the upclose back image and you can see the details. Cloth alone would not be stiff enough to stand up for the collar, however, which is always standing. Perhaps lining it with some kind of heavy batting will make it stand the way it should.

As you see from the shot here, the hood is not attached to the outer robe. More likely the black inner top.

Quote:
The four middle belts and the two that fall off to the right side are black, but they don't have to be a single belt correct? And do they have to be leather or can they be cloth? I'd like cloth more because the two that fall off the side would look better and would move more.

The four middle ones should be four different belts. I don't see where they need to necessarily be leather, as long as they look like they do in the pictures. Still, you don't see a lot of cloth belts (beyond obi) in the SW universe, so be aware of that. The lower belts should all be leather - they appear to be tooled in-game.

I'll try to explain the lowers: I used four belts total. Two attach to the front buckle, run down the front thigh and circle around the lower thigh, then running back up the rear to attach in the back. I then have a smaller belt (again, with quick release) that I attach around the first belt at the lower thigh. This gives the double belt appearance you see on the leg.

Quote:
The black shirt, is there a specific length to how high the collar inside has to go? And is there a tutorial or something explaining how to make the shoulder bells?

No and no. The black inner shirt could be everything from a hoodie top to just a dickie, since it disappears behind the chest armor and just shows around the neck. For the bells. I used the sleeves of the black upper body piece and created them from scratch - stitching two bell shaped halves together with 1" seams running from top to bottom. I then sewed that onto the shirt and used tubing to pop into the bells, filling them up from the bottom to top.

Quote:
The belts on the inside of the robe, they look tan, do you know how those are supposed to wrap so as not to come apart?

I joined the wide inner belt with a quick release clip.

Quote:
By spats, you mean the brown leg wraps at the bottom correct?

Yes, same material as the hand wrap.

Quote:
Also, does it matter what the clasps at the bottom of the leg collars are like?

No, as long as they look similar. I used leather metallic studs (eBay em), also round ones were used on the gauntlets. They should sit on the outside of the lower leg spats.

Quote:
Since the boots will be hidden completely by the pants anyway, do they absolutely have to be above the ankles?

It's in the standard, so you have to have them.

Quote:
The belts on the legs; brown, do they have to match the gauntlets and leg wraps? And there aren't any below the knee correct? Just the two above the knee, the one coming down from the buckle on the outside, and the one going up from the inside of the legs.

All the belts should match the same color, but I've always seen the gauntlets and leg wraps being a little lighter than the belts.

Quote:
The gauntlets as I have them, will they be passing if I get a hole sewn into them so they go through my thumbs and cover the knuckles?

Yes, as long as they still go back the approriate length.

Quote:
As for the formal requirments, if I only have the studs over the knuckles and the covertech clip on the waist belts, will that be enough? I don't want to have to buzz my hair that short every single time. And for the lightsaber, i'm going to get one of the generic ones from UltraSabers.com, will that be allowed?

The rivets and covertec will be enough. A generic saber is fine!

Quote:
Sorry for the million questions, I just want it to look great.

No problem, can hopefully help you get through it with less trouble!

Quote:
(Edit)
Sorry, one last thing, in those pictures is the second pattern for the outer robe. The original had the front parts thinner, as pictured below. Which pattern would be accepted? I liked the first one better because it didn't completely cover everything else.

Also, is it a problem if the two front parts of the outer robe fall normally down or do they have to flare outward a bit like in the screenshot you posted? Cause from playing they only do that during a fight or while posing. If he stands normal doing the idle animation in-game the two front parts fall normally.

I think thinner is fine to show off the details of the inner armor - for example, if it's too thick, it covers up the silver attachment of the armor and the strap coming off the right shoulder.

And don't stress the in-game render - I think for ease of use, they had to flare them out like that to fit the skin over the frame. Looking at the cut scene the material hangs normally with gravity. I've got the program where I can import the skins from TFU into TFU2 and create more detailed renders, will see if I can snag some of them to throw into my gallery there as well.
CdrChaos ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

I still think the sleeves and pants look grey, in cutscenes and in-game renders. Will I be rejected for submission if I use a grey color on the sleeves and pants? Personally I think the outfit would match better to have the sleeves, hood and pants the same color.

For the leg belts, I plan to get two belts and rig them together, then have two smaller belts leading up to the buckle from that. Will that be acceptable?

Do you have any pictures of how the chest armor looks on your outfit? I can't see very good details on it from screenshots since the outer robe blocks it.

For the collar at the top of the outer robe i'd planned to put some clear plastic inside of it so the fabric will always keep it's shape. At some point in the future I plan to have it redone with something sturdier than just cloth, but until I get the pattern fitted 100% i'd rather not spend the money on fabric that will be wasted.

Do you have any pictures from your suit how the hood is supposed to attach to the black shirt? Would I be penalized if I attach the hood to the outer robe?

Is there any specific brand of boot required or will any brown boot with no laces be acceptable?

And last thing, the belt buckle for the pants, it just has to be a silver hexagon shape correct?
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking on the subject of color, it is possible to find a very grey shade of tan. There's a really finicky range between those two that can look like either in different lights, so I'd go with one of those.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
CdrChaos ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know the name of any fabric or colors like that? I don't want to invest the money to get this costume up to Formal requirements if it wont look good, and frankly, I can't see it looking good with tan instead of grey.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still think the sleeves and pants look grey, in cutscenes and in-game renders. Will I be rejected for submission if I use a grey color on the sleeves and pants? Personally I think the outfit would match better to have the sleeves, hood and pants the same color.

Yes.

Quote:
For the leg belts, I plan to get two belts and rig them together, then have two smaller belts leading up to the buckle from that. Will that be acceptable?

As long as it looks seamless, like they’re meant to do that, I don’t see why not.

Quote:
Do you have any pictures of how the chest armor looks on your outfit? I can't see very good details on it from screenshots since the outer robe blocks it.

Yes. I loaded up some images here on the dressform this weekend so you can see it better. First, the front shot and back showing the attachment points and quick release clip.

As you can see, this is an illusion, because once the outer tabs are put on, it hides the connection point. As long as it’s far enough wrapped around the body, you won’t see it.

Oh and I also found a test shot of making the bells for the shoulder so I uploaded that as well.

Quote:
Do you have any pictures from your suit how the hood is supposed to attach to the black shirt? Would I be penalized if I attach the hood to the outer robe?

No. Stitching it to the inside would be fine, as long as it’s not too obvious.

Quote:
Is there any specific brand of boot required or will any brown boot with no laces be acceptable?

Any type is fine.

Quote:
And last thing, the belt buckle for the pants, it just has to be a silver hexagon shape correct?

Yes. You basically want to think aircraft harness type buckle.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also snagged some hires screenshots today with the skin loaded into TFU2. You can check out the album I've listed above to see more, but here's an example (click on image to enlarge):

And just cause... everyone watching this thread wants to see Master Starkiller of the Jedi Order.

Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of color. Tan literally means 'golden brown' according to my trusted dictionary, but I think it has taken on a different meaning in some parts of the world, where it has become more equated with a dirty greyish color.

As an example the Ewok Village Leia standards also list the dress as being tan, but if you look at the promotional pictures it is clearly greyish. I'd probably call it sandy grey. Wink It's only in the movie it often looks more tan, because of the lighting. (Bonfires have a yellow light, so they change the way the color of the dress looks). It's one of the things I hope gets changed in the standards, but I doubt it will happen. Rolling Eyes

If you believe this costume is more in the grey family, then find the pictures to support your argument. Smile (And for the record, all the pictures I have so far seen in this thread does show of those parts being more grey than golden brown/tan).

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
CdrChaos ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I wasn't alone in this. No matter how many times I look at the in-game renders the sleeves and pants always look grey to me. Personally i'd like to have them made in a matching shade of grey to the hood to get a more uniform look so it's closer to a tricolor set.
Furiafelina (Ineabelle Rodriguez)
Puerto Rico Base CO
Puerto Rico Base CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impresive reference pics!!!

Detachment Leader / Former Legion Costume Judge
CdrChaos ()

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions, the chest armor, the waist belts and the leg belts, do those all have to be leather or can they be cloth or pleather instead? If so I could get this costume done alot sooner.

And who do I talk to about the color issue? This thread is already full of reference pics showing the arms and legs being a grey color.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chest armor and leg belts must definitely be leather. Have already answered the question about center black belts.

As for the color issue, I can accept dark khaki that would be a shade lighter than the pants.
CdrChaos ()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark khaki, I can work with that. I'll make a trip in these days to the fabric store and try to find a shade that matches. With the sleeves a shade lighter, no question there.

I wonder if the people who designed this costume knew how hard it would be to recreate. And I understand what you mean about lighting, looking through the pictures on the link you posted, there's several where the hood looks a matching shade of...whatever color the sleeves and pants are. It's odd.

Anyway, i'll post some pictures once I find the right fabric.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: