Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0622eebd893453b6e3eef4c3573867c5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Gungi, the Fourth known Jedi Wookiee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIVETHEAD wrote:
When they spun his lightsaber around on this week's episode, I thought, "Someone's going to capture this and thank the Clone Wars peeps for making that thing rotate nicely in HD to capture a lot of good reference images!"

And I did that less than 5 minutes after we finished watching the episode. :-) They couldn't have given a better set of reference pics short of publishing the original 3D models. There actually is some software that could generate a 3D model of it from the images, but I've never tried using it before.
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too cool! That little spin around really gave a great view of the saber. Wonder if they did that on purpose?
Really looking forward to seeing the sculpted versions that are made!!!
matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIVETHEAD wrote:
Too cool! That little spin around really gave a great view of the saber. Wonder if they did that on purpose?
Really looking forward to seeing the sculpted versions that are made!!!

I've already begun to look for an appropriate piece of wood. My Dad has a forest full of all types of trees (100 acres or so), so I'm sure I'll find something nice to use. Since he is a youngling, it makes sense for his saber to be shorter than a full-grown Jedi's, so I'm going to use the blade and electronics from my old RotJ Luke Ultimate FX saber. For the metal pieces, I'm thinking of using some antiqued brass, which would be consistent with the other wookiee weaponry seen in RotS.
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is brilliant! It's never short of amazing what the people on here and the other like-minded forums (501st, Rebel Legion, RPF) can do, starting with just a cartoon, movie clip or image on paper.

I'll keep my eyes out for your progress and can't wait to see the finished work!
Chewie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I got some more media references here. Basically this is Gungi's lightsaber, the video is the construction of the lightsaber and the two pictures are that of the front and back of the lightsaber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDCNUWAobl4&feature=youtu.be

JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookiewannabe wrote:

Face likeness and overall look will come into play when coming up for approval. A 5ft or so wookiee up for approval doesnt mean and auto approval with the name Gungi attached to it.

Height: not an issue, moving on.

This particular, unique Wookie will follow face character standards - more exacting detail and reproduction of items/costume are vital for approval. Unless you're doing Gungi, you can't be a 5' tall Wookie. Nor carry a lightsaber.

But you guys are on the right track - I love the screencaps and am anxious to watch this develop! Whomever turns this costume in first, I'm going to expect a standard from you as well!
matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the screencaps I did of that sequence, slightly higher quality than the ones above:

(interior parts and activation trigger)
(bottom - yes, this side is away from him as he holds it)
(right side)
(top - not sure if that little round thing is the belt clip or not)
(left side)
(bottom again)

Heading into the woods at my Dad's house tomorrow to find a good piece of wood to begin carving this. My Dad has maybe 100 acres of forest on his property, with all different kinds of trees, so I'm sure I'll find something :-). He has a mini Endor or Kashyyyk out there - cypress, pine, oak, pretty much anything.

One quick question though about Gungi, should he be submitted as a wookiee (fringe) or a Jedi? I have an idea of how to do him in an actual animated style. I may build up the mask first before doing the entire thing, just to get opinions on how it looks.
matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are some measurements for Gungi's saber. I took a shot of the scene where they light up their sabers for the first time. Since we know Gungi's height to be 60.24", I was able to figure out a pixel per inch ratio to get the measurements of his hilt, and of Byph's saber blade (since it is the only one you can see the full length of).

Gungi's hilt = 12.3"
saber blade = 34.34"

Unfortunately for me, I guess that means that I won't be making the blade from my Ultimate FX saber after all (that blade is 10" too short). I may just make the hilt for now.

forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on the height standards for this character?
My wife and I want to troop this costume together. (i.e. she can wear it at a few troops and then I can wear it to some troops also.)

I am 5'6''-5'7'' and she is about an inch taller than I am. My plan is to make this costume to be as short as possible for us.

I love the idea of a Wookiee that I can wear... to where I can actually walk around and really react with the crowds. With my old Chewie costume I was really limited to where I could go and what I could do in costume. This costume would mean no stilts.

We would love to be accepted into RL with this costume.

I haven't started working on this costume yet. Just waiting to see what the standards will be.
Chewie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediMasterMark has said there was no issues with height. At this time there really aren't any standards for Gungi yet, it would be expected to use the references seen in the 4 episodes he was in and photos.
Chewie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt.elder1971, I know you have been looking at Gungi's lightsaber and I found this gem that might interest you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ICTvji6Baw
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200872963778?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Now I wonder if I can get it past customs without any problems.
Master Jevaho (Jeffrey Van Hove)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a Gungi saber at the moment. If it turns out ok, I'll be making more. Just a heads-up Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: