About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4bdd873867181e4ca82483ff6f673584Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Stilts questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Stilts questions Reply with quote

I got stilts that look like these.

Cheapest I could find but they feel great (once tuned) and I am surprisingly mobile on them.

As I prep my lower leg build I wonder:

1) They do make a rattling sound. Everything is tight but there is a point where the upper leg support (tube in tube) rattles. Has anyone addressed the rattle of just left it. I was thinking wrapping with tape or piping some caulk in there.

2) Over time do they need re-adjustment? I want to know if I should build for this if it is inevitable or just wrap them in foam and seal them with fg resin or something similar?

Your input is appreciated.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Stilts questions Reply with quote

berzerker wrote:
1) They do make a rattling sound. Everything is tight but there is a point where the upper leg support (tube in tube) rattles. Has anyone addressed the rattle of just left it. I was thinking wrapping with tape or piping some caulk in there.

I don't actually have stilts yet, but I've been researching them for a while now here on the forums. Here is what Bob suggests:
SoloYT1300 wrote:
One thing you can do to help with noise reduction is to cut leather into the shape of washers... take apart the spring device and place a lether washer on both sides of the spring. Thios way the spring will not touch metalbut a lether washer. This will reduce squeking and clicking noise.

I would also go to an Ace Hardware (or whatever is in your area) and pick up silicone greese. I would remove all moving parts from the stilts and greese them with silicone. It will last longer then the stuff they use and will also reduce noise from moving parts.

He's actually referring to the Skywalker stilts here, but it's the same principle.

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: