About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=22f16cc5b367bb8381579716f0ec6607Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trooperjasher ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Jedi Question Reply with quote

So I have been kicking around the idea of making a Jedi for a while. but just about every one that I have seen on this site as very little, if any weathering. Is it required to make a pristine kit? Not talking about making it so weathered that it is in threads, but just some dirt around the edges, maybe a few tears, stains and burns.

Thoughts?
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not necessary to make a pristine Jedi costume. The main thing is to adhere to the costume standards to get the right components for formal approval.

However...let me add this: more often than not, the costumes that I've seen come through that were made to appear "weathered" looked more like the costumer just didn't hem ends or finish seams and were heavily wrinkled and that the costume applicant was sloppily dressed. The whole costume ended up looking like it was simply VERY poorly constructed, or just looked like they slept in the costume, woke up and took pictures for their application.

A weathered costume needs to appear as though it's gone through some wear and tear. Just look at OWK in Ep.III, after the Mustafar fight with Anakin. His costume still looks great, though obviously half burnt to a crisp. He had sweat and dirt make up too Wink

Weathering hard parts (resins, leather, fiberglass, plastics, etc.) is easy. Weathering fabric (and doing it right) is a challenge.

I would recommend that you start a WIP (work in progress) thread to show your efforts as you build your Jedi. Experimenting with weathering techniques and showing the results would be beneficial...and would give the LCJs a heads up on what you're trying to do with your costume (something that is VERY important, and something most people don't think about).

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: