Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e49d0507b4918e072fba14e8b922d416Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Time to get busy...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GraniteAce ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Time to get busy... Reply with quote

Well, it's time to stop thinking and start doing. I really dig the Endor Commando, so that's where my efforts will focus. I'll be taking stock this weekend and seeing what I physically have to work with. I picked up an airsoft M-4 for a song (guy said he'd stripped out the gears and possibly cracked the piston head) and was thinking about building an Endor rifle. And while that will be a project in and of itself, THIS pic really got me inspired...

This pic is from the upcoming RPG by Fantasy Flight. It made my think... Commando, operating behind the lines in hard terrain. Why lug a big, heavy armor piercing blaster rifle? Why not have a blaster carbine? And wouldn't it work in my best interests to be able to scavenge e-mags from Imperials? My mind was made up.... I need an E-11! And since I have access to drill presses and mills, why not start tonight!
Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I really hope that, that! is aprovable!

cause that would just be awesome! I really can't wait to see this

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
GraniteAce ()

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ya gotta have a blaster, so I started on my E-11. I started with a length of 1 1/4 steel pipe. I went with metal so as it picks up dings and scratches it'll look properly weathered.
Next task was finding a template that fit one and a quarter inch pipe. From there life was good. All I had to do was cut it out and tape it on the pipe.

Last edited by GraniteAce () on Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
GraniteAce ()

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next came the machining. I clamped the pipe in the mill and used a 1/4 inch drill bit for my pilot holes. I should have taken my time and started the holes with a punch. I'll do that for the next one. After the pilot holes, I switched to a 1/2 inch drill bit and drill the final holes.

GraniteAce ()

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next came the ejection port. I used a three-quarter inch mill bit to cut the hole. A couple of passes adjusting the width and it cut out very nicely. For the cocking mechanism I switched to a one-eighth mill bit. I made several slow passes each time cutting a little deeper. At the end I adjusted the width of the hole again to allow for the cocking lever. A quick pass with a die grinder rounded off the edges. And then a trip to the bandsaw shortened the pipe to what I needed. Not bad for an hour. It's not perfect but I can say I did it myself.

Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep the progress pics coming! I'd love to see how that blaster is coming along! Awing
GraniteAce ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This update's going to be brief. I was pressed for time, so I didn't have time to take step by step pics. The short version is this. Printed out templates for a couple parts of the folding stock and got to it. The arms I'm ok with, the center plate I'm not overly thrilled by. I'll probably grab som thinner stock next week and remake it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: