About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8d25d301bf2ec054e9c6d22bdf5aa438Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Gungi, the Fourth known Jedi Wookiee
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chewie ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Gungi, the Fourth known Jedi Wookiee Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have just received a lot of hair yesterday to start my wookiee project and I was about to get started until I was told to watch episode 6 and 7 of the new season of the clone wars. To my suprise there was Gungi, the fourth known Jedi Wookiee, the others been Tyvokka, Lowbacca and Kirlocca.

Chewbacca is 2.28 meters, Tarful is 2.32 meters and Gungi is 1.53 meters accorrding to StarWars.com http://www.starwars.com/explore/encyclopedia/characters/gungi/. The Rebel Legion standards for all wookiees has been that they have to be over 7 feet tall, my main question is "we have had a height standard on all cannon wookiees and this is the only cannon wookiee that is under 7 feet tall. Will this character have a height standard or restriction?"

For me I would like to do this character if the judges aren't going to be too picky about the height issues and restrictions, based around my other activity which is saber dueling this character would be a great addition.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check with some of the other costume standard judges. Its a great character, but I think if we have 5' wookiees walking around most of the public will think it is a really short Chewbacca. Most of the public see any wookiee, Tarful, custom wookiees and call them Chewbacca already. This is a tough one. Public perception of what wookiees should be vs a new cartoon character.
Stay tuned

Chewy Layers snow to print
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gungi is a cool character. Will be interesting to see where they take his character on the Clone Wars.
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general public seem to have little idea. I have a green Corellian Jedi and I get called Luke Skywalker and Obi-wan Kenobi as often as I'm called a green ninja or samurai. Those, I just shrug and smile at. Then you get some kid who comes up and asks who I am, as I am not any of the Jedi in the movies or Clone Wars. Those, I am impressed at!

All the clone wars have been used as canon so far. It stands to reason that any new characters released are therefore also canon. As with everything else LFL has thrown at us, we shall simply need to find a way to adapt and overcome!

Tython Base Facebook Page
Herald ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, one of the guys in our 501st garrison wanted me to do Gungi so he has a reason to build a Wookie. Like Wookiewannabe I told him people wouldn't get it and think I was just a small Chewbacca.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookieepedia mentions Gungi being a Jedi "Initiate" and that he was there with other "Initiates." Is this some sort of rank like Youngling or Padawan?

From what I gather, Gungi is a kid, right? Like Lumpy in the Holiday Special.

If that is case, I think the exception to the height rule would be based on the age of the Wookiee.

It's interesting, even encouraging, to see further exceptions to Lucas' "no more Wookiee Force users" rule.
Chewie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initiate is another name for youngling and Gungi is a young wookiee like Lumpy but without the annoying wookiee roar. I know that there have been issues in the past about people doing Chewbacca without the height extentions and claiming they are an adolesant wookiee, which is why I have asked before committing.

I have got a idea pattern in my head at the moment, but while I got GotWookiee checking this post out, can I ask you if you think Gungi's main hair would be similar to Chewie's namely the 27/4 blend?
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope Gungi wont have to be the same height as other Wookiee's, as he is indeed a younger Wookiee, as Matt says Smile would be weird to have a kid wookiee the seize of an adult Smile

I really like this young wookiee's look Smile And I really like more Wookiee force users Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see this go through, Swiv. If only to see Ahsoka crowing more about an initiate being junior to a Padawan... You aren't going to live that down for a while!!!.

Tython Base Facebook Page
Chewie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It is not wise to upset a Wookiee", especially one armed with a lightsaber.
whack Laughing : Dance Chewie Dance Chewie Dance Chewie
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 99.9% certain that some of Gungi's sounds came from Lumpy from the Christmas special. When he gets upset about the ice slowly freezing between him and the crystal especially.
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this is why I am only doing Mallatobukk as my secondary wookiee I fear she will be thought of as another Chewie. With Kalla you will be able to tell there is a huge difference with her being over half white.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gungi is a face character from the Clone Wars, which is 100% canon and should automatically be acceptable. I don't see how there can be any debate.

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
Chewie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a debate as such Tag, it is more an understanding about the limits of the character. Like all other wookiees before there has been a very strict rule on height, even with generic wookiee. There have been people in the past trying to pass themselves off as adolesant wookiees just to get past this height rule, but then again no one has come out and said I'm doing Lumpy. There is the other fact that Gungi is a clone wars created wookiee and will look very different when a live suit is made.

However the final call is from the costume judges on what is acceptted and what is not.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Gungi is going to be canon an acceptable, then the height would need to be 5ft. No taller. Shouldnt the applicant be a child because he is a padawan.

The coloring is very similar to Chewie, less the grey. The bandolier is a bit different.

Its a slippery slope where anyone who wants to do a wookiee but doesnt like the stilts or lifts is now automatically a Gungi character. The "short Chewbacca" in the eyes of the public. Most of the public or even kids do not watch the clone wars or maybe missed these few episodes.

I see a future of short wookiees that that public has no idea that is a youngling.
"hey arent you too short for Chewbacca""says the public.....

I guess we will see.

Chewy Layers snow to print
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: