About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e535f449a4140cf035e6fd9d6ee2f984Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Episode I Battle Handmaiden Holster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll disagree with you that revisiting what should be required and what should be optional would benefit anyone wanting to make this costume in the future.

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander Cody wrote:
I agree with you that standards are a living document, but revisions and corrects should be made to improve the costume standards, in a forward movement, not pull them backwards. The costume standard is more accurate now and I fail to see how making them less accurate would benefit anyone.

And if a standard is shown to be an unnecessarily nitpicky barrier to entry, we can't challenge that? We can only go up? We can't be reasonable human beings that actually want people in our club? I'll tell you this, I did an informal, non-scientific poll at Long Beach Comic Con, of "What is missing from this costume?" Literally no one could name it.

We have said this before, and I'll repeat it: this is going to deter people from wanting to make this costume, which is tragic, as it's gained a lot of popularity in the last year. Having holsters won't fulfil our mission as a Legion; we already look pretty damn sharp without them. I honestly do not see it as taking a step backwards- I see it as us actually wanting people to come do awesome things with us.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
obiwanamati (Christina A)
Sunrider Base XO
Sunrider Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I know I'm not involved with royalty at all but I would like to say a few words on this.

Yes, royalty costumes are very complex (and amazingly beautiful) but I like to think the category as a whole is not the best costume for a first-timer looking to join.

Here's my reasons for that:
1. A majority of the costumes involve magnificent sewing skills that you either have to possess, know someone who possesses them, or can afford a seamstress to make a complex outfit.

2. The fabric. The fabric for royalty costumes is usually more expensive than for other groups. That's a barrier to a lot of people. Should we change the fabric? No, of course not. Just making a point.

3. The lack of optional items. I've looked through the standards list for Royalty/Leia/Padme numerous times. I've been trying to find a costume that I can reasonably do with my skills and can do affordably.
Many of these standards don't have optional items, which means that's one additional item I need to find. One more thing I need to create/buy.

I for example, do love the new jedi standards. I originally joined as a New Republilc Jedi so there were those two sets. The new standards are great and give those looking to join plenty of optional items to still secure formal status.

I do understand that this is NOT the jedi category and that it is completely different but it's just something I'd like to point out.

This, in addition to needing a good, quality hairpiece is the reason I'm just not ready to do a Royalty costume. It would cost too much and I would be too afraid of ruining it while wearing it. I would love to do one. I really would.

Yes, we should still continue to have high and higher standards. But some of our current standards may turn people away from joining the RL. I've seen this group as amazing and always willing to help. I don't want to see people who are being turned away due to inability, or having to "settle" for another category because they can't afford it.

Sorry for the wall of text, but please keep this in mind for the next round of standards revisions from someone who would eventually like to make a princess costume.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh.
Christina A - the difference between Jed costumes and Royalty/Senatorial costumes: all R/S costumes are face characters. Jedi can be admitted as formal without being a face character.

Jason - Thank you for stepping in and reminding us that we are here to improve. To move forward.

To everyone - the standards improve all the time. New information comes out, it's assessed and a ruling is made. Sometimes it becomes optional, sometimes not. It is unfortunate that the Detachment wasn't consulted, but vilifying the LCJs to the point of being cruel is not acceptable. If I hear one more time that a volunteer LCJ has cried from all the accusations and insults being slung about here, I will take severe actions. That is beyond unacceptable.
Any frustration should have been vented by now and cooler heads ruling but since that's not the case, I will remind you that when this issue began, there were different Detachment Command who also had access to the Costume Standards decision making process, and it was that person's obligation to bring it to the attention of the Detachment. That failed to happen. I'm sorry.

At this point, I am done with this thread. The discussion needs to end. I am in process of making 2 different kinds of prototypes: a highly accurate one and a lower skilled one. I will create a new thread for that once I have pictures to post.
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:

And if a standard is shown to be an unnecessarily nitpicky barrier to entry, we can't challenge that? We can only go up? We can't be reasonable human beings that actually want people in our club? I'll tell you this, I did an informal, non-scientific poll at Long Beach Comic Con, of "What is missing from this costume?" Literally no one could name it.

There is a difference between having a discussion and having an argument. This has turned into an argument. Your questions and concerns have been addressed and answered, but since you're not happy with those, people continue to ask the same question, over and over and over again. This has come to the point of being counter productive.

If you want change, then do something about it. It's easy to criticize people or a policy when you're not actively trying to improve the quality of the organization.

If you're not happy with the direction the detachment is going, then run for Detachment Commanding Officer next October. If you're not happy with the way our standards are written and our costumes are being judged, then toss the LMO a message about becoming an LCJ. Take an active role in the organization.

Quote:
We have said this before, and I'll repeat it: this is going to deter people from wanting to make this costume, which is tragic, as it's gained a lot of popularity in the last year. Having holsters won't fulfil our mission as a Legion; we already look pretty damn sharp without them.

Our mission states the improvement of costumes, so that really isn't a valid argument.

Quote:
Our Mission

The mission of The Rebel Legion is threefold. First, we offer the costume enthusiast of the Star Wars hero characters a global community to enjoy, express, and share their costume talents. Secondly, the Legion also promotes the quality and improvement of Star Wars costumes. Thirdly and most importantly, we follow the lead of Lucasfilm Ltd. by giving back to the community through works of charity and volunteerism.

. . . and this thread will be locked until tempers have cooled down.

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: