Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=04bbca076bd0b9f2135beb26051bd42cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Operation Sandstorm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Operation Sandstorm Reply with quote

hello all Smile

So I have been thinking for a while about making a female tusken. I have to admit this was cemented when I got to see one at the Where Science Meets Imagination exhbit. So I may have a lot of photos of details and such.

So I soon found out a handful of other women where thinking the same and soon I was collectng names an mentally balancing the budget.

Masks:
They will be very light being mainly expoxy with filler. But i will also back them with a layer or two of glasscloth to make sure they stay stable.
I have a head form and clay so will be able to start sculpting them as soon as I am able to work on things again (should be the next day or so) I can trim them and stack the pieces to ship to individuals.
We can find a nationally avaiable paint so we can match there as well.

Veils:
these are sligtly tricky so I'm offering to make a test pattern that will become either a full sized pattern or a PDF on a smaller grid.
We will need to be on the look out for suitable fabric. From what I can tell there were at least two types used. Basket weave will work in a pinch- we need to sew then wash to make all the seamallowanes fluffy.
I'll be looking at my photos carefully here as I'm not sure it is quite so simple near the mask area.

Skirts:
very basic. but if we can match fabics here it will make a great visual statement.
Weathering is going to be fun. Colours I use all the time are burnt umber and burnt seinna and a littl black. Mix with alcohol and sptriz and sponge and roll it all around a gravel path. Sandpaper edges. Mwahahahahahahha.

Pouches:
I know a few of us have worked in leather, so if someone wants to make the pattern (or trust me to do so) we can farm these out to a few workers. We will probably share a skin.

There are more elements but these are the basics.

So do we still have the interest? We may have many women interested but would love to see a blokey Tusky Along too Smile

Armourer, sculptor, seamstress, tailor.
Anaria Zar-Rel (Kristy Glasgow)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I am definitely still keen! Would love to see a group project like this kick off, and tuskens are ideal for anyone Smile

A few pics from our trip to refresh my memory on the details - I love the hood design Smile

Some others from Flickr -

Ryloth Base XO
Ryloth Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea! I look forward to watching your progress, I think this is brilliant Smile
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the 3D releases for Ep 2 and 3 are about a year away but figured we could be on the ball and get a nice mass group formed Smile Especially when you consider the events in Ep II...

I don't know where my photos are so I'll cut and paste from my post to SWNZ Smile
Female Tusken:
Another example of wonderful textures.

Mask to hood. The mask sits under the hood until jaw level and then the hanging pieces sit over the top. The hanging pieces are lined in leather and the hood appears to be glued to this as well, and raw edges are seen right at the under edge.
There is also a tuck at the point of one of the raw edges where it meets the hanging part of the mask. The stitching has come loose and was hand done.

The hood is made of shaped pieces of very heavy cotton with a very obvious weave. The edges are raw and sewn wrong sides together so they sit on the outside. They are not overlapped but have both seam allowances exposed. The hem is also left raw and from memory there is a line of machine stitching preventing it from further unraveling.

As you can see it is wonderfully textured, and washing the fabric before cutting then washing again after is going to be the bet way to go I think. Basketweave should be fairly easy to find as well.

The mask has a layer of leather inside the upper half, and the fabric seen through the open pieces of the hanging part of the mask is separate to the veil, so I think keeping the metal pieces nice and light is the way to go! we can add some weights in if need be to help them hang Smile
The veil is going to be fun to pattern, the panels are not all the same so I'll try and drape that up soon. I have some el cheapo fabric from Save mart to trial this. Now that I am able to stand without falling over! Wink
You can also see there is a hand sewn horizontal dart near the mask, I'll try and reverse engineer it to see what it does Smile
Like the dart in the Leia hood Ali pointed out, it may have something to do with how the fabric hangs, or it may just be to even up the panels.

So... is there anyone wanting to do the grunt research/patterning for the male version XD? We love you many lots if you do?

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, test pattern stage one of the veil is is a success, now I need to make the mask blank to get the framing right- the veil folds back around the top and to about cheek level then flips under the mask. There is most certainly a hood inside to hold it all in place

But the veil pattern is pretty easy so should be fine to send out as a scalable pdf Smile I'll get photos in the morning, I kind of worked on it as a spu of the moment after vacuuming the workroom kind of thing Smile Also declogging the vacuum and vacuuming up the declogged.. clogged stuff Wink

I am looking at getting a hide soon for another project so I'll start patterning the pouch (OMG an actual carrying case with enough room for camera and cards and.. eeee!) And see how many can be made from various hides.
I'm not sure how many people are happy with dyeing leather, I find it fun and quite relaxing, though fumey.. so I'm also happy to mix dye to shade or grab the correct colour if there magically is a single colour used.

I noticed the skirt used on one exhibit is quite different to another (also the veil dart is backwards, so the dart is a definite feature). So I'll look in to that a little further. It's a bit more shaped than the one at the Aussie exhibit

I also found my clay, so I'll get building a frame on a head form and start smooshing and heating.

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nine episodes of New Girl an this is what we have The veil needs fabric direction properly marked as I think the orignal is slightly off grain.

Also, about 5kg of clay is a lot of clay to lay down in an afternoon so my hands are taking a rest Wink Super rough start but I am happy with the general shape. Now to print off images to scale to pin to the wall as flicking back and forth from my netbook is not working Wink

And for those that play: Yes that is the start of the bikini from SW:TOR. It's a nice portable version of the slave bikini that would make for muh easier travel. Mainly just a fun sculpting project while I was working on more serious ones Smile

Anaria Zar-Rel (Kristy Glasgow)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic progress! Looking awesome Very Happy and woo republic dancer! Very Happy
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile My workroom is a hot mess right now with plasticine melted everywhere Wink I'll need to bust out my various tools to get the base shape started in the next day or so Smile
First will be the paint scraper so I can clean the table for some atual sewing.

Yes Tusken first dancer later XD Just saw someone with the pants only on the fleet the other night Wink But it is a fun sculpt Smile And definitely luggage friendly XD

Commander_Barriss (Sarah)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking FANTASTIC. Great work. Can't wait to see the group all together. Surprised
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed Smile I have had a slight detour, but the good news is it is helping with the project Wink Just getting back in to sculpting habit Smile I'm going to see about printing off at scale references tonight to work from.

I'm hoping we can see some young Sand People too, as my tumblr dash has been full of calash bonnets which was a major inspiration for the baby gear Smile http://www.larsdatter.com/18c/calash.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: