Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9c26b396b9aa803bd17d2e696a3d1a9dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

y wing belly tube and flighsuit color ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seven skulls ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking more like 1.5". The jacket on the outside makes it look bigger.
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this today, and even giving it a jacketed finish would not add much bulk. When the plastic cap is pulled off it makes a nice rounded end with the finished metal roll that a spray can has, perfect to add a valve /guage.

Elmers Craft Spray glue has the same shape, in a smaller diameter can. Perhaps THAT can, with the jacket, is the answer?

seven skulls ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up building my chest box using a chunk of Estes bt70 rocket airframe tubing.
The end caps were Easter eggs which fit perfectly. It looks good and doesn't weigh much which is of some concern. You don't want the thing dragging your vest down.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh very nice matchup there. I havent seen BT70s except on special order. Had any issues with crushing , or did you resin the inside of the body tube to strengthen it up?
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it'll help any, but about a week ago I was studying the Y-wing pilot for a project that I've been working on, and I made up some parts of the chestbox in a 3D modeling program. These are only what they looked like to me so I can't say how accurate they are, but I think that they're fairly close. Maybe...

The upper chestbox piece (which looks like it was made out of some sort of old speaker)...

The lower chestbox piece, or "belly tube", which looks like it might be removable as there is a picture of a pilot with this sitting next to him, which might explain why we don't see this piece on all of the Y-wing pilots...

The silver/gray rings are supposed to be metal, and the jagged edges on the black are just aliasing issues. There seemed to be a round yellow light on the top in one of the pictures I saw, but it might have just been light reflecting off of it...

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seven skulls ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewka wrote:
ahh very nice matchup there. I havent seen BT70s except on special order. Had any issues with crushing , or did you resin the inside of the body tube to strengthen it up?

The BT 70 came from an old rocket. Hobby shops don't sell that size tubing but some of the kits use it. I'm sure Totally tubular sells it though. This came from an old "Cluster bomb" kit from the Operation Enduring freedom series of kits. It was very convenient that the Easter egg halves fit the tube. I epoxied in some 5/8" wooden dowel inside the tube to beef it up and give me a point screw on a clip that I use to attach it to my vest.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good!
Thanks for those awesome illustration. If I can see something, I can build it My monitor is OLD and CRAPPY so I dont see a lot of the detail that is in pics.
But with these renderings, i can build it, light it, the whole deal.

Many thanks, this will not just benefit me, but others who tackle this project.
seven skulls ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I didn't take a lot of photos of the belly box I made.
I can try to take some finished photos too but here is the one I took in haste while cutting in the openings for switches.
The easter eggs are great caps for that BT70 tubing.
I glued one end in , the other end comes off if needed by removing two 1/16" styrene rods which simply pin it in place.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good!
MILF_Viper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My belly box is 2 Sam's choice water bottles cut and joined together then wrapped in material, and some styrene built on top for the control doodads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: