Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c2396ec4aba63c9e7364bc4c653a1029Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Scoundrel Build - ESB Han WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bledsun (Michelle Rand)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Scoundrel Build - ESB Han WIP Reply with quote

Greetings, smugglers and scoundrels. I'd like to start off by extending a thank you to fringe members who've taken the time to compile and post their resources and builds. I've been working on this project already for about two months - mostly research and mat gathering but I have enough done that I feel its time for me start posting process here.

I'm working on the gunbelt today:

Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! First, WHERE DID YOU GET THE BUCKLES!?!

Sourcing the buckles is one of the hardest parts of any Han Solo Build.

If you made them your self, they look great.

Conley
Nikkos Khann
DB94 DCO

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bledsun (Michelle Rand)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conley - Brian (CaptSolo77) put me in touch with a friend of his for the buckles and droid caller clip. I was really impressed with them. Though there are a couple minor authenticity based changes I'm going to suggest to the person who fabricates them. They're only minor things though. Let me know if you'd like more info on them/pm me if you want the fabricator's contact information.

This is what I came up with today:

I ended up having to start the belt sections from scratch because I messed up with the first run of dying. The strip of leather on the top is the result of mixing two of Tandy's waterstains. It was way too dark. After that I cut the stain mix with water and was smart enough to do test strips. That resulted in the colour of the bottom two belt halves. The stain's I'm mixing are medium brown and tan, and I'm using about as much water as stain in the mixture.

I'm attaching the pouches with leather weld before I stitch them down. I've got an assignment to finish tonight though, so more soon.
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! The belt...my favorite part Very Happy
Looking good so far, keep sharing those pictures and build notes!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I recognized that hardware. Really looking good so far. You made the right choice going with the lighter color. Many people go with the darker brown, because it appears that way in the film lighting, but the lighter is really more accurate.

Keep up the good work...I'll enjoy keeping up with your progress.

Keep your friends close, and your blaster closer.
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! Are you using Line 20 snaps? The Line 24 snaps take up the area a little better, if that's the case. Great choice on the buckles - I have the same ones, and Jon was good enough to make a mod for mine; he's a very open to working with his customers.
bledsun (Michelle Rand)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to claw my way out from under a mountain of assignments to bring you this update:

Props! They're all resin casts. The tools and droid caller are from Corellian Exports.
The ESB DL44 variant is from DoopyDoos. Though not completely accurate the components were pretty solid so I wasn't disappointed. I cleaned and detailed the blaster with needle files and a bit of bondo. The paints were a combination of Testors (you have no idea how hard it was to find the aluminum colour, everywhere was sold out) and acrylics that I already had.

Havok- Yes, I'm using the line 20 snaps. I considered the line 24 but I'm significantly smaller than Harrison Ford and I didn't want the belt to end up looking too crowded when it was done so I opted for the smaller ones. You'll see what I mean when I have the stitching finished.
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking props - great weathering!

I see what you mean about the snaps now that you mention it; with the smaller belt and spacing, it makes sense to go that route. I like how even with the smaller real estate, you still have the proper spacing for the third set of snaps...
theeviltwin ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

Great looking work and clearly a lot of attention, love and effort going into it.

The blaster and tools look excellent - really shows what can be done with resin. What varnish or protective top coat are you using on these - it looks great?

How are you going to distress / weather the gun belt? The gunbelt may (not wishing to start any traditional Fringer debates!) have started that pale when new but it's hard life, stains, weathering, etc. have made it very noticeably darker by the time we see it in the movies / in all the reference pictures I have seen.

Thanks.
Greg
Master Vos (Tim)
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The detail looks great I know where I'll be coming back to get information when I start my build next year, keep the photos coming. Smile

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wishing to engage in any Fringer debates, but I will anyway...

With the belts I've seen on display, I think the opposite has happened; exposure to display lighting for hours and hours has actually lightened the color of the stain over time. When I made my first observation of the color here, I missed the fact that this is an ESB build. The color here looks dead-on for ANH, but the ESB version is, I think, darker and more of a reddish-brown.

Also, THe ESB version looks somewhat more "polished" in its execution. Bigger budget=more time spent on the quality of the costume items. The ESB looks to have a "sheen" to it, as if polished or waxed. I did this with mine. Not only does it look great, but it also deepens the color.

I used British Tan for my ESB version, and I'm really pleased with the color. But the main thing is that it shouldn't be a dark brown, chocolate brown, or any other darker brown, especially since waxing or oiling will deepen the color, just as eviltwin has said.

Having said all that, your belt tools and blaster really came out nice. Personally I HATE resin, but not because it looks bad, I just can't get it to agree with me. No matter how much I wash or prep it, it never seems to take paint well. Awesome job on yours though. Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming!!
bledsun (Michelle Rand)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the feedback.

For the top coats on my props - I used a combination of the testors clear matte and gloss sprays. I found that the matte didn't look quite right on its own for the body of the dl44. So I masked off the grip to keep it matte had a second go at it, combining the matte and gloss for a more realistic effect.
The droid caller was coated with gloss only because I found that it absorbed some of the sheen when it dried. I'm assuming that this is because the black paint I used on it was different from that of the dl44. For the droid caller I used a testors matte black enamel - areas with more black paint ended up less glossy than those with a lower concentration. For the dl44 I used the testors glossy black spray paint.

If anyone would like me to go more in depth about my painting/weathering process let me know!

As for the feedback on the gunbelt - I just took a closer look at my reference pictures and noticed the little bit of shine. Thank you for pointing that out. There a a few different treatments that can be used over the water stains to get that polished look. I'll do some more research.

I know its not too difficult to weather leather. I have a few tutorials in the evernote notebook that I compiled while researching for my build on the subject. Weathering will darken certain areas of the belt too. I wanted to wait till it was completed to do that though. Also, the belt is a lot darker in real life than in the photos I posted but again, I really appreciate the feedback and will be doing more research and posting more of my process for feedback before its completed.

I've dusted off my sewing skills to bring you some garment progress. I used the Falcon Jacket and the McCall's 7760 patterns. I need to make a few small alterations on the sleeves of the jacket because they're gigantic on my arms right now - thus the unfinished edges on the cuffs. Its almost there though. Here's a test fitting photo of the jacket and shirt with placeholder brown pants:

I have my yellow embroidery floss and brown twill so I'll get started on the pants the next time I have a lull in my assignments. They might have to wait till the term is over though, but hopefully not!
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really coming together nicely. And here's another Fringer debate... shouldn't that jacket be charcoal gray?

Mr. Green
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it should my friend...indeed it should... Cool
DAngel (Alyona)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havok69 wrote:
Really coming together nicely. And here's another Fringer debate... shouldn't that jacket be charcoal gray?

Mr. Green

Hi =)

I think that this isn't entirely true remark.

The standards clearly written:

1. Navy blue or charcoal twill jacket with long sleeves, 4 front pockets, 1 pocket on the left arm and 1 large back pocket.

Perhaps this is why both versions are correct. Especially since this question was discussed many times in the Legion)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: