About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0324839c2a41d9c8ecde484c4c772eb4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Building a E-11 blaster pistol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lichtbringer ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Building a E-11 blaster pistol Reply with quote

Iīm sure all you rebels know the standard E-11 of the empire. But there are other variants, that are not so common. One of them is the pistol version, which can be holstered as a standard blaster.

A RPF-user showed his nice build of a E-11 pistol: [URL="http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-e-11a1-blaster-pistol-109564/"]My E-11A1 Blaster Pistol[/URL] - and made me feel a need for having my own one.

So i went in my shop and found some parts, basically a nice DH-17 kit that i purchased a short time ago from Odiwan. Really a excellent kit made by Bowjunkie, but a little bit to much plastic parts for my personal preferences. That kit and some other parts from the partbox brought me to this:

The grip and trigger rearranged some cm to the back, and the mag on the front underside, still without any scope

Or with a scope? I could offer a M38:

Or a Singlepoint:

Or a real one, donīt remember what:

A pic from the business-end:

And a closeup of the nozzle

As it is no gun weīve seen in the movies, it would be a good opportunity for me to use the kit and some of the plastic parts i collected in the past. You will notice over time that i usually prefer metal and/or original parts for my blasters.

Well, iīm open to any of your thoughts and suggestions.

Have a nice day,
Michael

Last edited by Lichtbringer () on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made no decision regarding the scope-question, but i started working on the basics that need to be done for every version. Smile

I wanted to have the grip as close to the real deal as possible, so i couldnīt just glue the parts together:

To achieve this, i drilled a hole with various diameters into the grip itself, and aligned and epoxied a XXL long nut as integral part into the trigger mechanism. To line it up properly for a smooth function was ******, but it is done. Very Happy

Next step was to alter the trigger mechanism - it was just a flexible piece of plastic that pushed the trigger back after using it. Thatīs nothing what can be accepted by german engineering standards Wink , so i modified it to be driven by a spring.

I made a tigh fit delrin-endplate on my lathe, and secured it with 4 Allen-head-screws. Same look as on a original MGC.

On the barrel side it has a step, to center the barrel:

This construction was made to serve as a "anchor" for the epoxy when mounting the mag-holder. I donīt trust simple glueing, i prefer to have it more beefier. Laughing

Thats all up to now - i hope it may help someone some day. Smile

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again. Laughing

You guys remember that strange creation i made as "anchor" for fastening the magholder?

Here is the reason:

I filled it with a very strong and sticky 2K-Epoxy, around 8mm high - that should hold.

And i turned a plug from delrin, slighly bigger in diameter than the bolt - should give a smoother slide-action. It goes all the lengt through the bigger part of the bolt, that way it gives some beef for a stable pullrod, too:

The front half is filled with hotglue. That should dampen the impact a little bit when working the slide.

Open:

And closed:

Thanks for watching. If you have any ideas, thoughts, improvements, whatever ..... donīt hesitate to chime in. Smile

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As nobody has any ideas, thoughts, improvements, whatever ..... i assume everything is perfect? Laughing

Or is it just boring? Shocked

Well, some may remember i had used a delrin part with a piece of alu-tube for the barrel ....... after carefull deliberation i decided: I donīt like it, needs more weight, more metal.

I made some new parts:

Assembled them:

And installed them on the receiver:

Way better. Mr. Green

Iīm getting closer and closer to the point where i have to decide the place for the grip.

At the end, more "pistol" like:

Or close to the mag, that leaves a long part behind the grip, something that is a integral part of a Sterling/E-11 for me

Or in the middle, to combine the both:

Atm, i tend more to "close to the mag".

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main part of the work is done. Very Happy

The M19 fits better than the M38, and itīs a nice hommage to its bigger brother Cool

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another piece which received today Very Happy

And here a part of it at itīs workplace:

Have a nice day,
Michael
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again ...... yeah, the nasty guy with his stupid guns. Rolling Eyes

Yesterday 2 layers of flat black as a base, and today this babys parts got 2 final layers of fast drying tough stove paint (it has a perfect shine, not to much but some). And after that i couldnīt resist, before going to the office i had to assemble the parts. :happy As you see there is no weathering yet, i want it to dry for some days before i hammer it - it will get no much weathering, the Empire doesnīt tolerate sloppy maintenance. Cool

The grip got a layer of "Future" for itīs shinyness.

OK, OK, i will shut up and show some pics. Surprised

With the M38 scope:

With a M19 scope:

And some closeups from different angles:

Alltogether iīm glad that i did it this way, and havnīt used it for the kits intended use, building a ROTJ DH17 Rebel-Blaster.

And itīs not as small as this pic may suggest. Shocked

Have a nice day,
Michael
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work!

Moving to tutorial section.

Bob
Master Vos (Tim)
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow totally awesome build great detail, the step by step photos really so how this build has progressed. Very Happy

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
v-mann ()

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Costume and Gun Builds "from the Galaxy far far away" that are not shown in the Movies but would snap right in Smile
It looks like a lovechild from a E-11 and the SE-14R and that makes it fit perfect!

Great Work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: