About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=33c4b1a6e69f0e9ff1ec149625f95ed0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A-Wing/B-Wing/Y-Wing Chestboxes/Helmets, etc. Any progress?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: A-Wing/B-Wing/Y-Wing Chestboxes/Helmets, etc. Any progress? Reply with quote

Some time ago, last Fall, there was a great deal of discussion about the potential manufacture of A-Wing, B-Wing, and Y-Wing accessories in the "near future." Someone was talking about doing B-Wing Chestboxes and A-Wing Helmets, and there was talk that we were close to having enough info for Y-Wing Props.

Nothing much since then.

So, this is a general query. Are there any current manufacturers of the gear in question? So far as I can tell, there is but one source for non-X-Wing Original Trilogy gear, a single manufacturer of the Y-Wing helmet as seen in ROTJ. Other than that, not a sausage.

There seems to be a market for it, and great interest, especially now that the flight suits are more regularly available. So... anybody have any thoughts, know anything, etc?

-A.
Bell (Ashley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be very interested if anyone made a nice A-Wing helmet as i'm looking into doing the costume.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware there has been no one who has made anything en masse besides Richies' rather inaccurate Y-wing pilot helmet. There has been talk, and a couple people have even made A-wing pilot helmets and chestboxes, but I don't think anything has gotten off the ground yet.

There was someone on the RPF who was planning to sell pulls of the B-wing pilot chestbox and helmet (he has the original screen-used props), but he ran into complications and that fell through. As far as I'm aware, he ended up only producing three B-wing pilot helmet pulls... And I have all three. Heh.

I've been working on a new B-wing pilot chestbox of my own, and I've been debating about whether or not I want to try selling copies of them in the (far) future. But if someone else wants to do it, be my guest.

A maker for a Y-wing pilot chestbox may be trickier... Mostly because it's had to really tell what exactly the Y-wing pilot chestbox has. Mainly, there is conflicting information regarding the "belly tube". Some say there is one, others say there isn't and it's just extra thick padding in the flak vest... So until we get some much better references for the screen accurate RotJ Y-wing pilot, chestbox makers will probably be scarce, even more so than the B-wing and A-wing pilot.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really crossing my fingers that there will be helpful pictures in the Making of ROTJ book that's coming out next year.
Purple Dagger (Sean Phillips)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the idea to copy my bwing chest box.
I hope to have it finished for CVI.
I know a few locally think it will be reproduction worthy.
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned above, the A-wing gear seems to stay a "self-construct" thing for the near future.

But I can tell you that most parts for an A-winger are not that difficult to make (chestbox, bottle, tube, harness, gaitors, flakvest).

Main problems are the AN/H-15 and the coverall. Maybe the green coverall will be buy-able in some time....

The helmet should be available in some time from two RL members, at least I think they will make copys of their helmets....?
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
DroidWelder ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am willing to work on a B wing chest box buck for vac forming. It will be a while after CVI before I can start on it. I'll also do any other item that can be vac formed as long as I have all the info needed to make it fairly accurate. It helps if I have an existing item in hand to look at and take measurements off of to get started. I was thinking about picking up one of the Richies helmets and building my own forms to make a more accuarate Y wing helmet.

David L.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
I am willing to work on a B wing chest box buck for vac forming. It will be a while after CVI before I can start on it. I'll also do any other item that can be vac formed as long as I have all the info needed to make it fairly accurate. It helps if I have an existing item in hand to look at and take measurements off of to get started. I was thinking about picking up one of the Richies helmets and building my own forms to make a more accuarate Y wing helmet.

David L.

If it helps I can pass along a pattern I made for the B-wing pilot chestbox after CVI. I think it's pretty accurate.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paleosilex (Robert Nelson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: B-Wing Chest box Reply with quote

I do have the b-wing chest box as an Inventor 2013 file. My school is hopefully going to be getting a 3d printer. I will need to see how it prints out. If it prints well, then maybe vacuum form from the printed piece (not sure how the printer works yet).
I have made a plaster cast of my b-wing chest box from the vacuum form we did at school (thanks to my buddy whose a special effects and prop master). I'm letting the plaster dry and then we are going to do repairs and hopefully be able to get some decent pulls. Not sure how long the repairs will take though (scheduling could be problematic).

Rob N.
DroidWelder ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who have built an A-wing chest box, What were the dimensions that you used for the main box? (top black part)

David L.
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I don´t know if I shared this info in my A-wing thread...
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27987
There should be some pics of the box, too...

Anyway, here we go:

Black box (nearest to body edge) is 20cm x 13,3cm x 4cm

The top plate with the ribs, buttons etc. is a bit smaller to create an angle on the side plates.

The ribs are 4 x 4mm plastic rods

The silver square in the low middle has 5,3 x 5,3cm

Hope that helps....
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-wing box: 7.5" wide x 5.75" tall x 1.5" thick is what I made for my girlfriends. It will be a little thicker after the vac form, plus adding the fins and such.

B-Wing box: This is my build thread for anyone that missed it. B-wing box details included if I remember right.
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25906&highlight=

Hope it helps.
DroidWelder ()

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
I did some digging through a few of the older threads and a few of the A-wing boxes made were mentioned to be 8 x 5 inches. Other boxes were of the square variety instead of with angled edges.

@ Sean,

I skimmed through your B-wing chest box build. The vac-form pulls you did looked pretty decent. Though it would be nice to not have to break it up into so many pieces. Did you ever try it with thicker plastic?
Are you still planning to offer them? or do you not think they will be up to your standards to offer?

David L.
Baron Flux ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had planned on doing these also, but am just now finishing up my chestboxes and helmet kits for our X-Wing. I remrember last year talking to someone about this to.... Surprised

Just not enough hours in the day...
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it in a thicker plastic and a thinner plastic then I ended up using. Thinner wrinkled more, the thicker lost the detail and wouldn't pull the indents. I also tried as a front and back pull but didn't get to far as the trench had bridges all over the place. Granted I am only a hobby vac-former but it is easy to see what will work and won't. I would guess a different mold may have different results, but short of machined aluminum with a lot of holes to get air moving in the lower areas the best I could do was building it in pieces. Honestly it isn't a hard build, if you have done armor or plastic work you could get a pull from mine together...the future is always in motion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: