About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=947f3f2bdb8e8ff4082f50dcec245ee9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hackle Making

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Limey ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Hackle Making Reply with quote

So when i started out making my wookiee costume, i thought i wouldn't possibly need a hackle. Now that i have one, its turning out to be soooo useful!

And like so many of you out there, i like to make these things myself. When making this one i thought i'd take photos to help someone else.

I happened to have quite alot of plastic in my garage from a few years back, so i cut myself out a good sized rectangle, about 12"x5".

Then its just a matter of drawing very straight lines, and in this case i marked the dots on each line 1/2" apart.

The second row of dots were 1/4" offset from the top holes, making them nice and staggered.

Then it was off to the drill press. Oh and be sure to clean off that plastic burr on your drill bit as soon as you can. Once it cools and hardens, it can be a real pain to get off.

I tried a couple different types of nails. These ones are 'finishing' nails with the oval'ish heads. Only problem was finding a way to stop them wobbling around when i fixed the hackle to a base

In the end i went with "Bright Box" nails which have a flat, round head. These would make a nice snug fit too

As i was putting the nails into the hackle, i noticed that when i cut the plastic it had chipped and roughened up the edges (guess i need a new saw bit too), so i used my sander to create a nice smooth bevel along the top edge with hopes that it won't catch too many hairs.

The image isn't too detailed, but you can just see the small bevel Smile

After that it was simply construction time! Putting the nails into each hole started making the hackle pretty heavy, i think in total i used about 90 nails.

Oops, forgot to remove the protective blue coating on the plastic.

originally i was going to fasten this part of the hackle to another piece of plastic, like a sandwich. But after glimpsing a perfect piece of 2x4, i suddenly had a little inspiration. Bear with me here!

So, my thoughts were this. If i sandwich the nails between two hard pieces of plastic, chances are there'll be lots of wobble in the nails. But if i fasten just the top part with the nails to a 2x4, that should smush the nails into the wood, creating a more solid hackle. Still with me? LOL

I went with the 2x4 and it worked as good as i expected, and it provided me with clamp points to fasten it to my worktop while i used the hackle! Bonus! One very solid hackle!

Now its time for testing. YAY.

I grabbed two colors. #280 and #44. I'm guessing i have about twice as much #280 here than #44 so it should give me a nice transition shade for those darker patches.

I'd previously watched a good youtube video on wig making, which had a good example of how to use a hackle. The video is here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxWs79J4pUY

After about 40-50 swipes with the hair, and varying techniques (none of them very efficient yet) i started getting into the swing of it and my final results were pretty good! I had a nice evenly blended shade of hair!

Looking at that photo though, it looks like i have streaks of light and dark, but trust me, its actually blended pretty nicely!

Of course, you'll have alot of hair stay in the hackle itself. the weak hair, as well as knots and stuff like that. i'm guessing i lost about 20% of my hair.

But overall i am very pleased with my hackle. Its functional and works exactly as i'd expect a hackle to work. i'll certainly be using it more and more, especially as i work on the shoulders and thighs.

btw, OW! Nails are kinda sharp! I just accidently brushed my arm against it and bam, nice bloody scratch.

Scarred for life!!!! Oh the agony, the pain!! (yeah yeah, i hear you say LOL)

Oh wait, whats this, another handy piece of 2x4. That'll do nicely! a quick tap-tap with the mallet and i have a nice protective cover Smile

So thats it my fellow hair blenders. My home made hackle. Sure there are a couple bent nails, but it works and with a bit more practice, i think i'll be blending hair in a matter of minutes.

Oh, and i do have enough plastic to make several more hackles. So if you need one then let me know. I'll put all the holes in and they should mail pretty easy (minus the 2x4's and nails of course)

Hope this helps someone!

Limey
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. considering I don't have plastic or a drill press...I might steal one from you. Wink
thanks for the tutorial!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome tutorial.

About your scratch: You are not a real costumer until you have drawn blood in the pursuit of your hobby.
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
Awesome tutorial.

About your scratch: You are not a real costumer until you have drawn blood in the pursuit of your hobby.

Ditto!

So awesome to see all these new Wookiees!

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Request to have this posted in the tutorial section for its awesomeness!

Nice work, it should help a few people out for sure!

Bob Kohn
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems like I am wasting a lot of hair.

I expected the weaker ones to come out..

as I am mixing one end, some hair comes out...I flip it over to the other end more come out.. not bad. then if I go back to the first end.. it seems to knot up and I lose a lot.. every time I switch ends it knots up and I lose a lot
anyone else have this problem.. or is it just me and my hackle?

me and my hackle? sounds funny Laughing

when you mix the hair.. do you start in the middle of the hair, or should you start as far to the end as you can?
I've been starting in the middle then flipping it over to the other end.

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider... hair that is not straightened really well will know up in the hackle. I would also consider cutting the ends before hackling as well to prevent knotting.

When whipping it thru the hackle you will want to first use the hackle as a comb... just to get the kinks out so to speak. I would recommend doing in on one side a few times with only a few inches from the end proggressing into the middle of the hackle slowly. Then flipping to the other side and doing the same. Once you have gotten the hair knot free then add the color you want to blend into the shank of hair. I think you will end up with better reselts this way.

my 2 cents...
Roheryn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing such a detailed tutorial. I'll get my husband to work right away Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: