About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=706ed40e39b268239cbdcc1354b1ae00Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Episode II travel/refugee gown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel boots are fine, as long as they resemble those on the action figure and are relatively clean-lined and tailored - meaning nothing chunky or lug-soled.

Honestly, the standards committee felt that as long as the shoes or boots were of a feminine silhouette, were not high in the heel, and either matched or complimented the gown, they would be fine, so that gives the applicant lots of room to find something that should work.

In other words, we don't want ladies running around in sandals or tennis shoes or bedroom slippers but want them to find proper, tailored footwear - either shoes or boots - that fit with the gown, but still give the ladies a range of options, because, frankly, most of the time you can't see the shoes beneath the gowns, and we're not all cobblers in our spare time. However, if the shoes are easily seen and identified, they have been made a requirement in those particular standards, so please read the standard for your chosen costume carefully.

I will submit this addition to the standards committee to reflect the boots, but will keep the boots in mind when judging until that time.

Meanwhile, Naergi, would you post an image of those boots so the committee can see them?

As for prints of the pebbly-texture and other related prints (I've been keeping an eye on the growing list of Spoonflower offerings of late), that is something we'll discuss among the other judges and the standards committee very soon once the judgeship is settled; we have some holes to fill in R/S that the LMO is currently working on.

Costume Portfolio
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaYT1300 wrote:
Meanwhile, Naergi, would you post an image of those boots so the committee can see them?

Which boots are you referring to? I already posted a photo of the boots of the toy right here on page 3 of this thread.
Or are you referring to different boots? dunno

Not related to this dress, but since we're discussing costume standards:
There is one expression that caught my eye in many costume standards (e. g. Padmé's Picnic gown, night gown, blue Tattoine poncho, wedding gown, etc.); and that is "silk or silk-like fabric".

Silk is a fiber; and it can be used in almost endless combinations of thread thicknesses and weaves, resulting in an even larger variety of woven results (=fabrics).
If you ever compared extremely thin and lightweight silk gauze to charmeuse, taffeta and, say, silk matka (or any other suit-weight silk weave), you will know that 'silk or silk-like fabric' can describe a way too huge variety of weave / thread thickness combinations.

If you're specifying what kind of fabric to use, particularly with silk, you can't just name the fiber but have to also name the weave.
Like 'silk or silk-like (chiffon, taffeta, satin)' - those combinations, too, appears in a few of the descriptions; but I've see the combination with 'fabric', 'piping' or 'ribbons' being used much more often.
It may be a good idea to clarify what kind of weave is referred to because without specifying the weave it's often more confusing than anything else.

For example the standards for the deleted Senate Gown from Episode II currently read like this:
"Fitted floor-length A-line undergown of a gold moiré or watered silk or silk-like fabric(...)".
The exact weave of that fabric is called "Moiré Bengaline", which describes precisely that 'moiré or watered' look with just two words; and every remotely fabrics-savvy sales person in a fabrics store would know precisely what you're talking about if you would ask for it using that expression (and so would Google in case you would search the interwebs for it Wink).

Just thought I should take the chance to mention that.
Also, since we're at it - who can I send a message to in case I've discovered errors in costume standards (as in plainly wrong types of weave listed - "satin" opposed to "velvet", for example)?
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentleBant wrote:
I actually have been on a couple + years' quest for a passable textured fabric for this, because of the obviousness of the 3D effect the texturing has. Everything I've found is either too thick (think upholstery), too shiny, polka-dotted, or a print.

Do you have a swatch of this, this and / or this?
I would try and get a swatch of either or all of the fabrics I linked above, and then, if one or more have the correct pattern (scale-wise) but maybe aren't sufficiently threedimensional, I would try to boil them / rinse in ice water / let dry without ironing to see if the threads that are used to weave the fabric will shrink in a way that would make the pattern seem threedimensional Wink

This looks interesting too, but there's no fiber content and / or weight mentioned; so you'd also have to experiment with a swatch.

As I already said, experiment with swatches (much!).
Costume designers for movies are known for not using fabrics out of the box (or rather: straight from the bolt).
The fabrics are dyed, boiled, frozen, distressed, ironed, not ironed, shirred, pleated etc. (and all this from either 'right' or 'wrong' side!) - but rarely used 'as they are' when they buy them.
So to achieve the look that a fabric which was used on a costume has, you have to try and do those very same steps they *might* have used (which, since we rarely know how exactly they did it, can only be found out by experimenting with all possible methods - single as well as combined).

I'm not sure, but I think that almost a decade ago (like, 2003?) I had a sample from a large sampler box from either Exoticsilks or Thaisilks (or that other -silks site of which I constantly forget the name - the one with the Senate 'flame' velvet...) that contained just the right fabric. If I recall correctly, that was either a Matelasse (more likely since that type of weave usually does have a threedimensional pattern) or jacquard weave. I'd have to look for those old swatch boxes (which I still have... somewhere!) to verify this, though.

Last edited by Naergi () on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:23 am; edited 2 times in total
LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Naergi, for letting me know which page the image of the action figure's boots is. It's very helpful.

I agree that action figures can be very helpful in the creation of a costume and can give light to details that otherwise remain murky. Not to mention that we do accept action figures as a form of reference.

To see them gives me a sense of what should be suggested to the Standards Committee members, but I can see these boots still remaining as optional as the action figure is the only reference so far and cannot be corroborated with other evidence.

In short, the boots would be accepted but also tailored shoes as well.

Costume Portfolio
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi wrote:
GentleBant wrote:
I actually have been on a couple + years' quest for a passable textured fabric for this, because of the obviousness of the 3D effect the texturing has. Everything I've found is either too thick (think upholstery), too shiny, polka-dotted, or a print.

Do you have a swatch of this, this and / or this?
I would try and get a swatch of either or all of the fabrics I linked above, and then, if one or more have the correct pattern (scale-wise) but maybe aren't sufficiently threedimensional, I would try to boil them / rinse in ice water / let dry without ironing to see if the threads that are used to weave the fabric will shrink in a way that would make the pattern seem threedimensional Wink

This looks interesting too, but there's no fiber content and / or weight mentioned; so you'd also have to experiment with a swatch.

I actually have some fabrics bookmarked from Exotic Silks, but hadn't been there in a while. Thanks for the leads!
The last one (at the bear site) is listed as an imitation leather, so I don't think it will probably drape or dye well. The one from Alexanders is $157 a unit, so I don't think I'll be able to go that route. (Well, at least not if I want to get any other materials for this gown! Smile )

I've been haunting thrift stores, antique shops, fabric stores, and home stores, (as well as ebay), looking at old drapery, vintage/throwback clothing and bedding, and just about anything I can find to "check".

I've got a small collection of swatches as well, but I don't want to spend my entire budget on them, so I'm trying to be very selective with what I do order, so if I find something, I'll be allowed to order it. Smile

I'm definitely going to look into those exotic silks, though! Thanks.

And Beret, thank you for clarifying. I do like the idea flexibility on the shoe issue; appropriate vs. 100% accuracy is good to consider, and when there's no way of knowing exactly what's under there, it's good to know there's options.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaYT1300 wrote:
Thank you, Naergi, for letting me know which page the image of the action figure's boots is. It's very helpful.

You're welcome! Sorry if my wording was a bit awkward; but for a moment I was really confused because I had already posted the pic Wink

GentleBant wrote:
I actually have some fabrics bookmarked from Exotic Silks, but hadn't been there in a while. Thanks for the leads!

You're welcome! By the way, it just dawned me last night that Exoticsilks is basically the 'wholesale outlet' of Thaisilks. So both should carry the same fabrics, just that when buying at Exoticsilks, you'll pay less in case you have a business (and maybe Exoticsilks has minimum order quantities; don't remember that part too well).

Quote:
The last one (at the bear site) is listed as an imitation leather, so I don't think it will probably drape or dye well.

That would depend. Maybe they just listed it as 'imitation leather' because it has that texture? Not sure.

Anyway, while watching the news today I've started to weave the headdress.
Yes, weave. I'm using paper rattail cords with a wire core to do this.
When I've finished the weave, I will drench it in epoxy resin so it will become stable, not to speak of lightweight. That's also why I'm using the paper rattail cords with wire core for the weaving - they provide a drenchable yet (for weaving) stable base; and they're considerably smooth.
The metal effect is something that can easily be achieved with clever usage of paint; I'll get to that part later.

A first picture of the (so far WAY incomplete!) weaving - and yes, it's basically a mess of paper cords stretched over a cellophane-covered styrofoam base, on which I did insert a print of the original headdress as a guide for my weaving.
The darker wires that you can see in the picture won't be used in the weave; they're just there so I can temporarily attach the paper rattail cords to, well, something, while I lay out the first 140 (!) of them, which will become the 'warp' of the headdress weave.

This will become more dense while I work on it, of course - in that picture, I've just laid out 32 of the required 140 warp threads...
When I've laid out those 140 warp threads, I can start weaving.

Last edited by Naergi () on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi, you are incredibly hardcore. I can't wait to see progress on this one.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
Naergi, you are incredibly hardcore.

I hope that's some sort of compliment! In case it is - thank you! Mr. Green
Quote:
I can't wait to see progress on this one.

Me neither. I've finished laying out approximately 3/4 of the warp threads today - that already took MUCH longer than I expected (approximately six hours so far).
By now it seriously looks more like something Medusa would wear than anything Padme-related, with the ends of the paper wires all curling up around the shape.

I hope to finish the warp threads tomorrow so I can finally start weaving the pattern into them; the 'just warp threads' thingie (which is "staring" at me from the floor right now...) looks horrible.
Oh wait, tomorrow's Halloween... maybe I should just leave it the way it is and hang it up by the front door; I'm sure it would scare a few kids away Razz
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi wrote:
JediDWH wrote:
Naergi, you are incredibly hardcore.

I hope that's some sort of compliment! In case it is - thank you! Mr. Green

Hahaha, yes, it is. "Hardcore" as used here is slang for someone who goes to great lengths to achieve something, and usually involves way more work than the average person would put in on something. Which is, of course, the kind of person who would be attacking any of Padme's insanity costumes in the first place. Wink

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
Hahaha, yes, it is. "Hardcore" as used here is slang for someone who goes to great lengths to achieve something, and usually involves way more work than the average person would put in on something. Which is, of course, the kind of person who would be attacking any of Padme's insanity costumes in the first place. Wink

Why yes, I'm insane and proud of it. My ex used to call me 'hardcore' when he didn't like something I did (which was basically everything) Wink

Anyway... I've completed a bit more of the weaving - one side of the 'halo' finished! Very Happy :

I will now drench this with just a bit of epoxy resin to stabilize it but leave it slightly bendable (because the 'halos' on front and back are slightly bent over the 'side' part - I can still add more resin after the entire weave is finished).
After the epoxy resin has cured, I'll continue to weave the 'side' part with the warp threads that stick out from the 'outside' of the 'halo' (and after that is finished and 'resined', of course continue on the other side of the halo).
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! Your hours of work really show. Very impressive.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Headdress after "epoxying" the front halo; sides finished, front slowly shaping into a "skull cap" - left side of picture shows the original headdress:

Yes, I definitely need to bend it into shape a bit; but otherwise, I think it's not bad so far - and slowly but surely it becomes recognizable as a headdress; particularly now that I've started to shape it over the lifecast of my head (which I covered in cellophane to keep the epoxy resin away from it).
Tomorrow I'll epoxy the front 'cap' part once more to stabilize it, then start working on the 'back' halo.
I also bought some leaf gold (actually it's more like leaf copper / bronze), which I will use to metallize the headdress once it's finished. Wish I were at that stage already - leaf gilding / painting is so much more fun than the weaving part!
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"not bad so far"

You got that right! Can't wait to see more progress.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look pretty incredible so far! The technique you're using is not something I would have ever thought of. Have you made other costume pieces in this way before?

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: