Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3f8ecee2a5edc3c2e4c9908360391670Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Imperial Knight - Antares Draco
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronime (Ron Kieser)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Imperial Knight - Antares Draco Reply with quote

So it is time for me to join on the rebels! For the last week I have been working on my Antares Draco Imperial Knight from the Legacy series, who is classified into the RL as they protect the Jedi as well as Emperor Fel. I've had the kit for about a year, but being as Antares is perhaps my favorite Star Wars character of all time, I should finally get this done.

I should have my proper saber hopefully by the end of December, getting one custom made from Vader's Vault, then I shall submit my app.

Instead of flooding this with picture, my build progress is on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4345284473012.2174474.1314537201&type=1 but I will post an edited one that I made for fun in about five minutes.

Star Wars - Halo - Mass Effect - Custom

http://www.thgprops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Commander_Barriss (Sarah)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Ron. Welcome to the Rebel Legion. Smile
Battlerager ()
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks great - you might get a lot of questions on the bodysuit...that seems to be the part tripping most of us up!
Ronime (Ron Kieser)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome!

The soft parts were a royal PITA. I don't know if I could give actual tutorials, but I can say basically how I made it.

I got several yards of black pleather for the pants and shirt. I used cow hide for the 8 flaps. I also had never made shirts or pants before, and did everything by eye.

Shirt

The arms were quilted with the pleather on the outside, black lining on the under, and half inch quilting pad stuff for the inside. I made them about 2x larger than a sleeve would normally be, and about six inches longer JUST in case. Make stitching about every inch the entire length of the arms.

I highly recommend for the chest portion it is NOT padded, it is hot enough as just the pleather alone. Same thing with the neck seal, which by looking at the design sketches of it, has the stitching about every 2 inches. Sew velcro on the back of it to make it simple to put on and remove. Attach the neck seal and sleeves as you would with any shirt, by sewing them with the entire thing being inside out to make the seams more clean. Cut off any excess that would be for comfort. Cut off the sleeves to about the wrists so it is easier to fit the gloves over.

For the flap panels, I used real leather as it has more of a weight, and gives a slight contrast to the shirt and pants. Use the artist sketch designs to decide how long to make them for how tall you are. I'm only 5'5" and my legs are short so my measurements would do nothing goof for any of you Razz I sewed the flaps directly on the shirt and the seams are hidden by the belt.

Pants

Take whatever kind of pattern that pants work for you and cut out all the parts. To prevent dying of heat I didn't add the padding to the pants, but I DID still do the one inch stitching down the entire length of the parts. Sew as you would with pants and there you have it. I put in a quick lock buckle so I can adjust the waist line as I am in the process of losing weight, but elastic works just as well. I also added suspenders to keep the pants up better. It makes getting in and out of the suit a lot easier, and bathroom breaks are suddenly AMAZINGLY simple.

Cape

I have two snaps on each shoulder and four snaps on the back armor. I used medium weight cloth and folded it over to give a bit of heft and flow, gives a nice feel to it. The armor plate that goes over the back armor and cape I used half inch neodymium magnets at each of the corners that attached to the corresponding magnets on the inside of the back plate. Really simplifies everything.

If you have any other build questions let me know!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good man
miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Thumbs up

Can I ask, did you make the belt yourself?

Thanks for the write up on the build. Very useful!
Ronime (Ron Kieser)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

And yup! Made the belt myself. Leather and an imperial belt buckle that I got from my broken officer belt.

Ronime (Ron Kieser)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I said I would be posting up some tutorials, but my health has been severely diminished as of late. I STILL plan on getting additional pictures of how these were made, as well as photos of my strapping and such.

Just wanted to let people know I have not abandoned this, just been really busy with health and props.

~Ron

Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your shoulder armor pads are looking a bit, well, big. It's already been adressed, but I think you would profit greatly if you could cut the size a bit.

Other than that: good work on Antares. I did one too some years ago. Maybe you can use some of the stuff I wrote down:

GBY | Temple Assistant Master
KJO | Member

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suit looks great, Ron! As Christian said, the shoulder bells look rather large, but it's coming along nicely. I checked out your facebook build log, and even from the front, you can barely see any of the black undersuit. I tend to agree with Christian about seeing if there's a way to bring the size of that shoulder armor down a bit.

Did you build the armor, or buy a pre-fabbed suit that you painted?

I just pulled the trigger on a suit of armor myself and plan to finish my own IK outfit and get it approved before Gen Con. I need to do some re-wiring in my saber--I'm tempted to order all new electronics from the Custom Saber Shop and swap it all out. They've got some really nice pre-wired quick-disconnect options over there now that'll make it quite simple to do.

I haven't decided if I'll do a generic knight or a face character. I'd have to shave to do Draco or Roan Fel; I'm tempted to try and grow in my beard, powder it and my hair gray/silver, and do Treis Sinde. But I don't know if my beard will grow in full enough. It seems somehow disrespectful to try and do Ganner Krieg with Thomas out there (besides, I'd have to shave for that as well).

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
The Sugar Jedi formerly known as The Grey Elf
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I have a knack for killing discussion threads.

Sorry about that. Embarassed

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ronime (Ron Kieser)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not killed, just swamped here Razz Making E-11s like crazy here and haven't had much forum time, plus health crap.

Yeah, I need to curve the shoulders and hopefully that will help with the size problem. They are completely flat so they give a much larger appearance form the side.

I did not make them, my wife bought the armor itself from a run a year or so back, and doesn't remember the maker, just that it was his final run. I DID make the belt however.

Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty awesome start. It's got me really excited to finish mine! I'm even thinking about doing a new saber.

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty awesome start. It's got me really excited to finish mine! I'm even thinking about doing a new saber.

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Ronime (Ron Kieser)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm baaack! Very Happy Still dealing with serious head injuries, but I am getting this thing finished up. While I am not sure if I can do an actual tutorial, what I WILL do is take pictures of all my rigging, where and how I placed all my velcro and snaps to help all you!

I have some mods that I am going to do first from what I've learned from wearing it a few times, so none of you have to make the same mistakes!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: