About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a6c99a37872e836fe5da9133e235d2e9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Are Tauntauns considered Rebel personnel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowBunny (Jhatonna Turner)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Are Tauntauns considered Rebel personnel? Reply with quote

I live in independence, MO and I'm working on a tauntaun fursuit(Mascot suit like KC Wolf or Slugger for the Royals)aaaannnd, I was wondering....if the association would accept a well rendered tauntaun?

I notice nobody does a lot of uncommon characters like wookies(God Bless, the standards for them are crazy outrageous. Probably why there aren't many wookies. So much work, lol)

So, I was wondering, what would the standard be for a tauntaun, since they are Rebel mounts and they do appear in the movies? They are Rebel Legion workers in a way, transporting the men and women across the barren landscape of Hoth.

Wampas appear in the standards, but tauntauns don't and I don't know why because they're toys, they're on shirts, comics, sleeping bags, and well, you know the jokes they are bashed with. Also, they're on the SAME PLANET!

The standards say, if we have proof of our subject matter appearing within view or in the background in the motion pictures, then we can do it as a formal costume. Thing is, nobody is as weird as I and has taken a strange interest in a tauntaun, lol. Up until now, at least, not that I know of for this association. In other fandoms, yes, here, not so much.

How strict would the standard be? Do I have to look identical to the tauntaun Luke Skywalker or Han Solo was riding or can I add my own spin on it as long as people that see me can say "Oh! That's a tauntaun, look, Timmy!" I mean, this isn't a mere clothing "Costume" I'm making, this is going to be a SUIT like a Wookie or an Ewok. I would naturally assume I had to look like one in the movie, but would exceptions be made? To be realistic, there's so much concept art of the tauntaun, its not funny and no two tauntauns look alike, either.

I do think being rigged with a saddle and a bridle would be in the mix if it were a standard. I don't remember if there are nakey tauntauns in the movie at any one point.

I was wondering if I would be someone's assigned responsibility, for my part as the tauntaun. Like a skit-kind of thing or would I be able to run around and wreak havoc(Harmlessly) on the con floor or wherever we might be.

Here are the WIP pictures I have so far so people can get an idea. It's not finished and its quite crude, as I work like this on all the suits I've made so far, but it is pretty much ready to be furred after I add the skull nubs that tauns have on their domes.

Yappity-Yappity!

What's the temperature on the inside of a
tauntaun? Luke Warm!

Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard question to answer fully. About the wookiees the biggest issue on them is not the CRLs but the time and money you have to invest in one. All those are latchhooked hair and normally takes about a year to do fully and a few of pieces are not easy to come by.

As for a Tauntaun, I would expect that no one would say you can't do one, they allow a lot of things in, the first to be done is normally the hardest on the judging because you will be the standard until someone does it better or it becomes standard (not something I can see being done). When dealing with a costume that has no CRLs it is normally the idea that the person upon finish and approval of the costume must write the CRLs for future people building that costume.

It depends on the exceptions that would be asked about. If its a simple things like I would to have a different shade of the hair or skin or scales, possible but if you are wanting to say have blonde horns on a tauntaun I can see the costume judges saying no.

Also we would love for you to stay up to date on the base section of the forum but this question could really be answered much more in depth on the rest of the main forum under the rebel supporters that does in fact list tauntaun in the title of what it would be used for. Feel free to link the thread you make there to here too so we can see how this one goes LOL.
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing an entire search I only found This
SnowBunny (Jhatonna Turner)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zazarus wrote:
Doing an entire search I only found This

Hehe, all right, I'll do that. But yeah, I figured it would be a stumper.

Wow, I've seen something like this somewhere else. Not the same person, but their mechanics design was pretty freaking cool. When they would walk, the taun would walk because they were on stilts, but it looks like they were sitting back in the saddle just taking it easy.

Some people think its stupid. I think it's pure fun!

I agree with the Wookie thing. I know I wouldn't have the patience to do each individual strand of hair. I'd buy excessively long faux fur, but they would turn me down in a heart beat. I know the costumes have to be movie-grade quality or at least, to the naked eye, whether or not the fans care to tell the difference or not.

The one thing I like about the association, is how serious they take the costume making. I like the dedication to stay true to the fandom down to the last detail.

THIS THREAD CONTINUED HERE-----------------

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43463

Yappity-Yappity!

What's the temperature on the inside of a
tauntaun? Luke Warm!

GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnowBunny wrote:
I'd buy excessively long faux fur, but they would turn me down in a heart beat.
Unfortunately excessively long faux fur doesn't actually exist. The longest faux fur you can get is 3 and 5/8" and even then only some of the fur is that long; the median length is still about 3". Much too short for a Wookiee, but it does work well for other furry characters. I've seen some excellent Wampas, Ewoks, and even a Tauntaun using Faux Fur.

National Fiber Technology, who supplied the hair for the RotS Wookiees makes a fabric hair/fur that is suitable, but it's very expensive. A few of our Wookiees have used NFTech hair and you can expect to spend $3000 - $5000 for enough of the right kind of hair.

For your Tauntaun build I think the foam build up you have done is on the right track. Foam fabrication is a common technique for many costumes and props. Our garrison did a full scale Dewback as a two person costume using various types of foam.
The Dewback frame was built from PVC pipe, which was reasonably light and flexible, allowing the body and tail to flex in a realistic motion as the creature moved. The main body of the frame was filled out with semi-rigid packing foam (the kind that is often used to pack electronics). This was then surfaced with very thin sheet foam and finally the scales were created from army floor mats.

Bipedal dinosaurs have a similar anatomy to Tauntaun's and you could learn a lot from those who have built those as costumes.

You should also search for Walking with Dinosaurs or Raptor Costume, Dinosaur Costume, etc. on YouTube. They built some very realistic baby T-Rex and Utahraptor costumes for their show and used sacks filled with foam beads (the kind used in bean bag chairs) to fill out the body and make the muscles. Skin was created by using cloth which was stretched out over a frame and painted. When the skin was released from being stretched it crinkled and cracked; creating a realistic texture.

Also check out how Stan Winston studios built the raptor costumes for Jurassic Park. Raptor Costumes.

Try contacting CarbonScore, who built a pretty awesome Tauntaun costume.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know creatures like Wookiees have tougher standards, and rightly so- it's not taking a human and dressing the part, or even becoming a humanoid species. The goals are still the same, to create a realistic, lifelike creature, which is easier with something like a Zabrak or Twi'lek.

For Tauntauns I'd be worried about doing a fursuit... because fursuits still look like fursuits. Maybe a tauntaun wearing a Rebel Cheerleaders outfit or hockey uniform would be in the spirit of a mascot, but not sure how it would hold up as an actual character acception. The wookiees usually don't use solid pieces of fabric fur, and some have actually managed to do good bargain wookiees buying cheaper kankalon hair instead of the pricey stuff. I've seen one or two people build full-sized tauntauns in which they were the riders and their legs were on stilts inside the Tauntaun. Something like that, if realistic enough, would probably be acceptable. Also, something like this is obviously a big build, and if you don't have a lot of money it is something you can build up slowly.

But to obtain membership, I don't think a fursuit is the way to go. You need to have a formally approved costume before you could do anything informal (such as a mascot, if that'll be allowed with the cheerleaders). Do you have any other costumes you are interested in doing so you can get initial membership?

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: