About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a28c3447132d1361e3d336bcde204dabMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New member, costume WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the belt buckle, the flat area is where a belt is supposed to go and it might have a habit to try to go there as you wear it, you might try the look and see what you think. On another note, I will agree that the buckle is THE HARDEST part to find, I have been building belts for myself and others going on over 5 years now and I still ALWAYS keep an eye out in all the thrift stores I check the cheap shoes and boots for awesome looking buckles and the belt section. I am making 2 right now as a matching set and used a 1" belt buckle I found. For mine if you can see the picture on my jedi here I used a 2 posted concho from tandy leather's steampunk collection and 2 brass D rings on either side of it. I love the way it turned out.

I also am in love with my saber from the custom saber shop and their new plug wiring system makes it really easy people that know nothing about soldering or electronics to make at the very least a really nice light up blade. Mara Jade

And Pandatrooper has a great tutorial on boots, don't use leather dye, it will just wear off and make a mess on EVERYTHING it comes into contact with. A friend of mine polished his boots and you can't touch them with your hands turning black from the polish not sticking to fake leather. I'm going to be trying out panda's ideas soon I hope too. Very Happy
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I read that about dying polyurethane boots! I will read panda's tutorial Smile

That makes an awesome belt buckle, Zazarus. I was admiring some of their steampunk things at the store, but I didn't see anything I really liked.

I know what you mean about the way I have my buckle. That's why I used the smaller one, since the bigger one was hard to get to stay in that position. This one has no problems so far.

Custom saber shop is awesome! I really want features like flash-on-clash and kill switch / recharge port, and the ability to choose sound fonts. Pandatrooper, do you think that might be something you could help me with? Like, eventually when I get those parts?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would only need the recharge port if you are using a power supply you can't remove or is hard to remove

TCSS just released the Nano sound card, which does not have the aux sound ability like the blaster shots but its also like 1/2 the price too. I want to get that for my saber sooooo bad right now. But the upgrading on a TCSS saber is really easy and with the plug system changing things out is easy too, I have 4 LEDs that I switch around so in like 5-10 mins I can have my red, blue, green or white LED in the saber. Very Happy So I don't HAVE to buy more than one saber to have all the colors I want.
pandatrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The petit crouton board is nice but there are other options now too... I'm planning on getting a Nano Biscotte card too. I have built sabers with 4 different sound boards now and the new ones offer great features for their value.

Yes, I can help you with some saber help when you're ready. Feel free to try some of my custom ones out before you buy.
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finished the belt!!! Oh man is this awesome. OH MAN! Mr. Green

PICS!!!

^ I didn't want to mark the front surface of the belt, so I marked the back and tied thread around the belt where I needed to put the studs. I then pressed the studs into the leather over top of the thread and presto: easy stud markers!

^ While wearing the belt, I made a mark on the underside of the small belt where the studs were. Then I used those marks when aligning the buckle. It was better than expected Mr. Green

^ These holes are there on the belt loops because I was originally going to attach the belt loops to the main belt, through the small belt, with chicago screws. I reconsidered in favour of stitching the belt loops onto the main belt, seeing as how I had all that extra string still attached to them.

^ I secured the small belt to the buckle with rivets where it overlaps itself on either side of the buckle. Those rivets are then covered by the belt loops.

^ Stitching the belt loops to the main belt turned out great!

^ C'est fini, except for the tiny bits I have to dye where I cut the leather.

^ That's everything except for the cloak, which will be finished tomorrow. Creating the belt has been so much fun, I wish I were more involved in making the clothing as well. Next time Smile

So this won't quite get me approved for Formal, but it's well on the way. I just need a lightsaber and some pouches and food capsules for the belt, I think. Also, my costumer still has to fix my outer tunic.

I'll post again tomorrow when I get the cloak Mr. Green

Edit: I also got a great new pixie haircut for the occasion! I even left a length at the back-left to make a braid ^_^
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The belt looks awesome, congrats on that! ^_^
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt looks like it came out really good. Very Happy
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY someone who colours the inside of the belt as well Razz

Looking good there Wink
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mihunai wrote:
FINALLY someone who colours the inside of the belt as well Razz

Looking good there Wink

Yeah, there was no way I was going to leave that blank; I'm crazy about details. Thanks again SO much for making such a wonderful tutorial, Mihuanai!!!

Thanks for the compliments, folks!!! Mr. Green
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONLY reason I stopped doing the inside was I did an imperial officer belt for my grand admiral and the first test fit left black streaks on the uniform. Light enough not to really be noticed but I had to line the whole belt in gaffer tape so it would rub off anymore. And before someone asks, yes it was sealed in the normal fashion like I do with every belt. So because I never know what I might use the belt for I leave off the inside for that off hand chance I need it for something white or light enough color that bleeding would be a HUGE issue.
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my robe, but my costumer made a really big mistake with it. It stops at my sides without being able to cover the front of my body at all.

Actually, she made big mistakes on all four pieces; the robe, both tunics, and the obi. She says she can fix the robe tomorrow, and the other stuff at a later date, but not before halloween. Really really disappointing Sad I was so excited! I mean, it looks okay when it's all sitting perfectly on my body, but as soon as I move around normally, the shortcuts become glaringly visible.

Sorry for venting Sad

I'll take a picture and post it tomorrow when the robe is (hopefully) fixed.

Edit: I also ordered the energy & food capsules for my belt.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were the short cuts? there might be options for at least one night
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zazarus wrote:
What were the short cuts? there might be options for at least one night

Everything except for the robe will be fine enough, I suppose, for this halloween. It's just heartbreaking to have paid for it and been so excited about it, only to receive it with so many short-comings.

To answer your question, both of the tunics aren't long enough to close properly over themselves; they stop at the centre of the chest, held in place by snaps, and have a big seam going down the middle (this is visible in my first post). This is not visible as long as the tabards remain in the exact right position, but tabards move around slightly (as they should), so I'm constantly having to adjust it. The problem with the Obi wasn't really a shortcut, but rather an error; it is super short, barely fitting around my waist. I think the robe was an error as well; it stops at the sides and cannot cover the front of the body at all.
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the tabbards covering the tunic, you can always sew hook & eye closures in the proper places you want to be assured the tabbards will cover. That will save them moving out of place but still give them a small amount of movement leeway.
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediSionnaTrekina wrote:
As far as the tabbards covering the tunic, you can always sew hook & eye closures in the proper places you want to be assured the tabbards will cover. That will save them moving out of place but still give them a small amount of movement leeway.

That would be fine if I were okay with having a Jedi halloween costume, but I want authentic Jedi clothing (rather, what would be authentic if they existed; I want what a Jedi would actually wear).

Anyway, my costumer asked me to come over tonight instead of tomorrow, and she fixed the robe somewhat, although it is still not nearly good enough.

^ Here it is just keeping the cloak open. Like this, it looks and feels amazing! It stays on the shoulders wonderfully, even after walking around for a long time; I never once had to adjust it on my shoulders. It's also the perfect length; just barely grazing the ground as I walk.

^ Now we start to see the problem. This is with the cloak casually closed, and that's with zero pouches on the belt. Also, can anyone tell me if the hood looks right? It seems very droopy to me, but maybe my sour mood is affecting my outlook :/

^ Here I'm holding it closed as tight as I could; again, with no pouches on the belt. It is definitely WAY too small across the chest. It should be more like this:

right?

So can anyone familiar with making these cloaks tell me what I can do to fix this? My costumer said I should ask you guys for advice, so it would be hugely appreciated! I really want my costume to be the best it can be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: