About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b26f78f65fc6d8e74395bc52429af608Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth Han

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warpath23 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Hoth Han Reply with quote

Looking to start my Hoth Han Solo build to have a nice warm costume for the winter, and I've just run into some walls, namely with materials. What is the parka made from? The close ups give me the impression it's some sort of twill or gabardine, but I'm not sure what the material is, and since I'll be using it in actual snow, I don't want to be soaking.

My other question for now is the pants. Are they just gray snow pants with quilted patches on the knees, a la Hoth Leia's jumpsuit, or quilting just directly on the knee? And the material, are they nylon ski pants or made from something else?
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This costume has been on display at some of the Celebrations, but I have never seen it personally. I do think you are on the right track with the materials, however. I am working on this costume as well, and I made my parka from a Dark Brown material almost like denim, so I think it is a gabardine. It is lined with a camel colored fleece. I live in Arizona though, so the chances of ever having to wear it in the snow are very slim, but it will keep me warm on winter days. I'm not sure how they dealt with the "soaking" issue during filming, but I'm pretty sure the parka is not nylon or any other synthetic material you would typically think of snow gear being made of. I made mine using the quilting and construction patterns Bob provided in the archive section. The hood construction of the original is actually different than Bob's drawing, but it's easier to make the way he has it.

As far as the pants, they are also a natural type fabric and the quilting is sewn into the pants themselves, as opposed to being patches added on like Leia's costume. They are a sort of greyish-tan color.

Keep us posted on your progress, this is not a costume that many people undertake, and it would be great to see a thread chronicling your build. Post lots of photos as well.

May the Force be with you,

Brian
Warpath23 ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright awesome! I'll start taking pictures once construction has actually started :p. I think I'm going to go with a blue twill or gab, since my girlfriend, who'll be doing the hard sewing, definitely prefers screen accuracy vs. real accuracy. I totally knew about the tan lining, as we were watching ESB the other day, and saw it, and flipped out. Glad I'm on the right track there.

From the pictures of the hood, it looks like it's made from three panels, two sides, with an overlapping middle panel. Am I on the right path there?

And interesting to hear about the pants. It's quite hard to tell what they're made from on-screen, do they have any sort of specific weave or anything? I may just go with a gab to match fabric types and for sake of warmth. Do you have any recommendation on a pattern to use, and how exactly is the quilting laid out? Similar to the shoulders of the parka? After looking at some pictures, it seems that the quilting goes all the way around the knee, which I had only thought it was on the front. Am I correct?

Sorry for all the questions, they all just hit me :p
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct about the construction of the hood, it is a three-panel design, which avoids the pointy-top look that you get if using the drawings provided in the archive. Also, I was thinking about the moisture issue. What you could do is use nylon or gore-tex as part of the quilting, so you would have gabardine as the outer layer, nylon, 1/2" cotton batting, possibly another layer of nylon, and then the fleece lining. This would give you the correct look of the original, and still provide the moisture resistance against the snow.

Also good idea to go with similar fabric for the pants, it would look good and provide a certain consistency. The pants could also be lined with gore-tex to make them moisture resistant as well. The quilting pattern of the knees is the same diamond pattern seen on the shoulders of the parka, and I think you're right, it goes all the way around the pant, not just in the front.

I hear what you're saying about the color. Mine was navy blue originally as well, but I ended up dying it dark brown and I'm really glad I did. If you watch the scene where Han says "I'll see you in hell," as he's mounting the tauntan, there is a white light shining on his back and it is clearly evident that even in the movie the parka is dark brown. However it is a matter of preference, and both are accepted under the Costume Standards.

I'm really excited to see your progress on this, and look forward to following your thread!!

CaptSolo77 signing out.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen it in person and it is Brown, but I can see why people want to make it blue... that whole movie has a wash of blue to it IMO.

Lighting is the curse of all costumers!
Warpath23 ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea with the goretex layering! We'll see how it all pans out. I'd love to be water resistant, but if I look too puffy, then I may sacrifice batting. I think the goretex will work pretty well though.

And yeah, SoloYT1300, I have no doubt it's dark brown. I've looked through your pictures plenty of times for reference, and they've been extremely helpful. The issue with me is, there's "more-screen-time"/"burned-into-people's-minds" accurate, and there's "less-screen-time"/"real-life" accurate.

I'm also a big Star Trek fan, and that's definitely an issue there too. The Command uniform in the Original series appeared yellow on screen, but were actually lime green in person. But I don't know anyone who's done their uniform in lime green. And same with The Next Generation too. The command uniforms are wine-red on screen, but everyone does them in normal red. So that's what people think they are. So when I did mine, we ended up using normal red, because it just looked strange in wine-red.

All of that said, I think this member absolutely nailed the color.
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=5358

But it's honestly hard for me to tell what color that is after staring at so many screenshots and the movie so many times, and my opinion being affected by my knowledge too. To me, it looks like off-black. But my girlfriend insists it's dark dark dark blue. I can't tell any more.

As you said, lighting is indeed a curse :p
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpath23 wrote:
The Command uniform in the Original series appeared yellow on screen, but were actually lime green in person.

Don't you mean avocado green?

Mr. Green
Warpath23 ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes I do. See? More proof I'm terrible with colors :p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: