Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fa4e1d25ae832ef0ce2d1f686aab1377Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Two New Jedis - I hope!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mobius (Kris Hurrle)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my food capsules for 12.00 from utopia base dot com. They aren't perfectly screen accurate but they are great. I love them and work perfectly.

The robe is really the crown jewel so don't rush it. Submit for formal status with what you have and then update when you can.

Good luck!
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at my Corellian thread you will see that green is an excellent colour for a Jedi. You need a minimum of three things from the formal list to be formal, my group tend to go for more to make life easier on ourselves and the costume judges. When I submitted, I had;

1) Inner tunic
2) Two pouches
3) Four food capsules
4) Robe or cloak.

Most of my group who submitted recently followed suit, with one of them, the costume judges felt that the inner tunic wasn't suitable, and asked us to remove it. We agreed, and the costume was approved within a day, wih the other three components enough to make it formal. The judges appreciate room for flexibility!

Good luck... Wink
Fyr

Tython Base Facebook Page
mishakitty78 (Melissa Nell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Fyr, that green Jedi is fantastic! I'm supremely impressed by your leatherwork too. Really nice job!

I appreciate the tips on where to order food capsules. I'm going to put in for some (so that I don't have to steal my husband's :O ) and go from there.

Fyr, I noticed your robe was lined and I've seen others that were not. Out of curiosity, do you all know if it's a sort of personal preference thing to have it lined? I didn't line my husbands (and have seen others that were not) because we live in FLorida and it is HOT CRAZY HOT HOT and I didn't want him to die. But I'm curious as to what the preference is.

Anyway, for color pallet I'm hoping to find greens like this:

I don't want to go too light in value, but I'm hoping for either the far right (so more olive) or the far left. I do like the second from the left, but that's pretty light, so I may see if I can find/dye something that's like that only darker.
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

The cloak is lined because it's based on a mediaeval cloak, and all the stitching ends up on the inside. When it is complete, the last stitch lines are done by hand so that there is no visible stitching anywhere on it. Even in Australia it gets cold sometimes, and having that extra layer can either be a blessing or a curse... Wink

Lining is personal preference, as I understand it. I've read references to it in tutorials and discussions, but not in costume standards.

Tython Base Facebook Page
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lining is very much a personal preference. Most don't line their robes as far as I know. Smile

I have seen some dark green wool at one of my local stores. I don't remember which type of wool it was, but maybe take a look around your local store(s) and see if you find anything you like. Ben

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Jace Darkrider (Ian Letendre)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mishakitty78! I first want to say that the costumes for you and your husband look great. Smile Sorry I didn't get to meet you both at CVI.

Based on the feedback and progress here, it looks like you are extremely close to getting everything together and approved for Legion membership. I would also like to encourage you both to consider joining the Knights of the Jedi Order detachment once your costume is approved. We can never have enough talented folks like yourselves involved in fine tuning the skill of being Jedi costumers.

I would like encourage you both to come out and troop with us. He should already have clearance for it with his Legion member account, but you can find our current activities under the Members section of Ra Kura. You will find Events and Members Only topics listed. We have many events coming up around the state, many of which are close by to you. The weekend of the 13th we are having a base dinner in Orlando and hope you both can join us.

Finally, I love the color schemes you are looking at. Ra Kura's Jedi detachement, Stormfront Temple, uses light to dark greens in our logo. The next Jedi costume I am pursuing will be mint green, woodsy brown and a tan-cream color. I feel you on the 'nature' look.

Should you have any questions on base happenings or costuming, please feel free to PM me. Also, make sure to keep coming by the Ra Kura forum and check in, especially once you are approved. Glad you're here! Smile
KJO Council 2012-2013
DCO Stormfront Temple 2010-2013
CO/XO Bespin Base 2004-2006
TI/IC 1074, 501st Legion
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well met, Ian. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to see you at CVI. To be fair, I was in kit with a helmet with little to no peripheral vision so I may have wandered right past! But I'm really, really looking forward to meeting the RL folks and hopefully trooping with you. And maybe even bringing our friend Jedi Dan along too!

I very much appreciate the invite for the 13th. We are both working that day, but I will see what we can do, and how late it will be. If not we will do our best to make the next one.

Yeah, I had to throw a bit of nature into this one lol. As a friend of mine said yesterday as he was helping us get dressed 'oh. yeah. the pouches with the naturey stuff. that's DEFINITELY yours.' I'm way too predictable!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY got around to making the robe! Rolling Eyes i looked all over for a good green fabric, but nowhere had enough fabric to make it. i wound up buying enough plain colored linen and dying it. the green turned out nice, I think. Here are the photos:

front of cloak - please excuse this awful photo. It was late, I was tired, and rather rushed. I'm really happy with the way the robe turned out!

and here's the back. I made sure the hood was extra full

robe with hood up

I've submitted my app again...I hope that it's ok this time! And, too, that i get any emails this time - so frustrating that I didn't get them!
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. The green came out really nice. Very Happy Very jealous right now. From what I can see of the pictures posted, I am sure you will get approved. One question on the saber, is it on a covertec clip or D-ring? Can't really tell from the pictures.
KJO Council 2012-2013
TI/IC 1074, 501st Legion
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian! Glad you like it Smile It was a PAIN to make - the dying was fun but ended very quickly when I spilled the ENTIRE dye bath onto the lawn. Sigh. The green came out slightly mottled, but it worked for the foresty look I wanted. At least I think so!

The attachment is a covertec clip. I hope that's ok!
Jay-gon Jinn (Jason Hetherington)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the current standards for Generic Jedi, the style of lightsaber attachment is no longer an issue, so you are good with either the CT belt clip, or a d-ring.

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question was more specifically asking if she had one. From the picture, it looked like she was holding up the lightsaber next to her belt. I couldn't tell if there was something there to keep it in place. But yes indeed, either way, her costume is a great "generic" Jedi.

That's the hardest part with costume submissions is seeing all the detail clearly. Some costumes look amazing in person but photos don't do justice. Conversly, I've seen some costumes that photograph well and hide flaws but those flaws are glaring in person. As I am not a costume judge, my opinion is not the one that counts.

I think this is a great costume and look forward to seeing it in person. Ben
KJO Council 2012-2013
TI/IC 1074, 501st Legion
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I am official!

Looking forward to meeting you all!
Commander_Barriss (Sarah)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations mishakitty. Great costume. Smile
RavenApprentice (Angel Martinez)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mishakitty78 wrote:
Yay! I am official!

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Felicidades & Congratulations!!! Ben

Former Puerto Rico BCO | KJO XO | Wretched Hive XO | Legion Costume Judge | Legion Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: