Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=75a68ddee3ae14708af72aa63c6924d2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Local costume help :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebel Kiwi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question.

Would these be of the required standard?
http://www.jedi-robe.com/123,1044,star_wars_costumes___adult.jedi_boots.Star_Wars_Jedi_Boots___Brown___Fantastic_Quality___Best_Value.html
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it can be a bit hit and miss :/ Both first and secondhand markets :/

Footwear is the bane of many a costumer's life Wink Any genre at that...

The weathering tutorial Hayley (Ember) linked to is a great one and uses the same kind of boot (though without the strapping) Smile And yes, artist quality acrylic paint works really well on Vinyl. There seems to be a really good chemical bond there. Acrylic spray also works.

I was hoping to be able to find a local solution (as per the thread intention) but our population size means it's unlikely to find an option always in stock. This is definitely one of those areas where you can luck into something around the corner (I scored a lot of shoes and boots at Salies, and other charity shops) or import.

By the way yes, I mentioned brown dye, it would only really be effective on worn leather, as in that particular example I linked to, because dye is transparent- you cannot go lighter only darker. Dye is also additive meaning whatever under colour is there will affect the outcome. In that example the leather had already faded/worn back to a dark grey.
Dyeing over freshly blackened leather will not work. Even when you strip back any coatings. You *may* get a tonal effect depending on the dye and the original colour process and hide.
Going lighter needs an opaque paint. That can be risky- it can be patchy or streaky. That said with sponges you can build up layers and essentially do a reverse weathering as per the above tutorial Smile
Also, here we can talk local Wink The leather paints at Mr Minit etc are really not good- they are not very flexible so crack. Use the stuff from Lapco (they sell pretty much everything you need) or if you have vinyl boots the most readily accessable acrylic paint is Chromacryl. I have art I painted more years ago than I care to admit that still look bright and new.
Farra Sti (Andrea Stout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my boots from a saddlery as they are riding boots (same with my sith boots) That way (although no zips aren't a requirement for the RL) I was able to have boots without zips. The boots are a bit pricey but look fantastic.
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a head's up: Nick's Fabrics on Dominion road are having a relocation sale. 50% off all fabrics and given their fabrics were $2, $4 or $8/m this is really pretty good. I'm going to see what linen I can pick up and also if there is anything RL related.
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Aucklanders Smile Also Moreland offers the same free classes in Hamilton Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: