About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4b19b392de942d9b0b0d4b2bd7ddd752Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Zayne Carrick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't speak for any custom Mandos, but if you look at Boba and Jango's knee pads, they only require one back strap. These ones will require two, and to bend the knees, something has to give.

That said, my elastic is brown to match my pants, so I'm not too worried about the look. It's even something that could be upgraded after the convention if I decide I don't have time to wrangle it before then (you don't want to know how much I have to finish in the next week and a half Shocked ).

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good costume will continue to be tweaked as time goes on and things change with wear. Making my costume with an Austrian man who is culturally pedantic was interesting, he refused to let me make shortcuts, and there were times I refused to let him make shortcuts either, and between us the costume is great. Being on a tight timeframe, I'd say the elastic is a good idea!

Hah... I was late for my approval photos because I decided last minute to make a new belt... Life is like that! Wink

Tython Base Facebook Page
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! *just fainted from awesome*

*fans self and gets back up* IT IS AWESOME! Mr. Green

Did I say it clear enough? You are clearly highly skilled and I'm dying to see this finished.

(Do you have a hidden coolness devices? It looks like you used it on your costume). Cool

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lora! Hopefully I'll have some new photos for you soon- I picked up all my electronics yesterday, and one of my coworkers is going to help me rig up the electronics for the switches. I got a really funny look from the guy at AutoZone when I walked up to the register with all those blue LEDs, and he said, "You're not putting all these on your car, are you?" I'm not sure he was any less confused by saying they were going on a costume. Laughing

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Sweet! Mr. Green It always nice to confuse people with our costume making. Wink

I'll wait (im)patiently for those pics then.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here's what I did during disc one of Pride and Prejudice this afternoon:

I'm not sure I'm completely satisfied with the construction, and I had to reinforce some of the edges with epoxy putty (which is why I had to stop after disc one, so it could have time to set up). I still need to make the raised border to put on the top, but that shouldn't take too long. So I'll need to do that, paint the edges to match the rest, figure out how the heck these will be closing (the electronics were getting in the way of installing snaps, sadly, so velcro may be my only recourse). And then do it all again, but next time I'll be able to eliminate the pattern-making and staring blankly portion of the process. Laughing

I feel like I can do better on construction, so there will probably be a version 2 of these, sometime when I'm not throwing them together in three days.

As to why I've only just started on these today and not worked on them all week, well... this last week I threw this together, so I've been just a smidge busy. Shocked

Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
As to why I've only just started on these today and not worked on them all week, well... this last week I threw this together, so I've been just a smidge busy. Shocked

Wow. You just "threw" that together? Beautiful!

And the LEDs look cool, too... Wink

Tython Base Facebook Page
Master Vos (Tim)
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is truly impressive great work.

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! Mr. Green

Almost there! I've just got some finishing to do on these guys, and they will be ready to wear:

I probably won't have any more pictures until it's on me at the con, since I'm flying out tomorrow after work, but that will be on Saturday! Yay! I'm mildly delirious over here, but it'll be totally worth it when it's all on me.

Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look great and I know that there will be pics of the whole thing the next time I log on the forum. Wink

Also that elven dress is lovely. I plan to make one myself (but not in white) next month. Of course, I also have to find som fabric first. Razz

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approval photos are on my good camera, and I've got a short list of fixes I want to make (most importantly, I'm making those kneepads smaller- it was a good idea in theory, but proportionally they're not working for me. Time to break out the dremel! I also want to make a second pair of pants, in a lighter weight, stretchier fabric- which I have on hand, I just didn't have time to sew for the con (and given how cold it was yesterday, I was happy to have the wool pants).

Anyhow, here's the one picture I have available immediately (funny angle because one of the snaps on my vambraces gave out, so I only actually had one I could wear- thankfully it's an easy fix).

It was recognized by a whole two people (Star Wars artists in Artist's Alley, woo!), but I had a great time, and I'm really happy with most of it.

obiwanamati (Christina A)
Sunrider Base XO
Sunrider Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks awesome!
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really Cool! Ben

Former Puerto Rico BCO | KJO XO | Wretched Hive XO | Legion Costume Judge | Legion Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking awesome. Great job on it.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: