About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4e1353f23cbaec4e257ae4d8c3fdae55Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookiee Body Suit Patterns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Wookiee Body Suit Patterns Reply with quote

When I started my new Chewie suit, the seamstress I hired to make my suit (still haven't learned how to sew, lazy I know) made some patterns at my request so I could make them available to others.

My friend Collin (who will be building a Wookiee suit in the near future) has a large format scanner, so I lent him the patterns and he scanned them for me at high resolution.

wookieescans.zip 1.16MB

These should be printable at any print shop with a large format printer (like Kinkos). Alternately you could break these up into 8x10 sheets, print them in pieces, then tape them back together and cut them out.

These are based off of Duck's drawings for his Wookiee suit. These patterns have already been used twice (besides my suit) for both my dad's suit and my friend Corey's suit.

Enjoy!
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! This will be a great help in getting the basic shape. I actually got a sewing machine this pass summer and just started learning how to use it.

As far as measurements, I'm guessing the suit should be some-what loose to allow for movement, but not so loose that it's flowy like a gown. Is this about right?

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you want it be as form fitting as possible while still being easy to take it on and off. The hair will bulk the suit up and you want chewies lanky physique.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fatty, so I'm going to have to get creative with optical illusions to make me look lanky. I am in the process of losing weight, so by the time I finish my feet and head, I should be smaller and I'll build my suit off of that.

Which leads me to another question: "wookiee suit alterations". If one was to grow or shrink considerably is it possible to alter it? Granted I know it would be tedious to cut off the existing hair, cut and re-seem, but that still would be faster and cheaper then a whole new suit.

Anyhow, thanks again for the patterns!

Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wookiees with stilts...

forgive if its mentioned somewhere.. I didnt see it

for the pants, how far does your pant legs suit go down?
all the way to the bottom of the stilt?

I am confused on how long to make the pants.

you make it pretty much form fitting, but do you pad your thighs to bring the suit out to blend with the bump of your feet?

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a noob and haven't finished a costume yet, but I have been lurking for a while and have been researching wookiee building for a long time. So take anything I mention with a grain of salt, and definitely listen to the veterans, but here is my take on these questions:

Crix wrote:
for the pants, how far does your pant legs suit go down?
all the way to the bottom of the stilt? I am confused on how long to make the pants.

There seems to be two trains of thought on this style, I've seen people do both:
    1) All the way to the floor covering the stilts.
    or
    2) What I like to call the "capri pants" style, basically they come to the top of the stilts.
Obviously if you do #2, you have to cover the stilts in hair as well. Either way you'll need to fasten the "hair suit netting" to the stilts (as pants or a separate bottom piece). The most popular method is snaps. As velcro gets all gummed up with hair.

Personally I plan on going with the "capri pants" style. This way if I feel my wookiee is too short or I don't like my current stilts/lifts, etc. I only have to re-make the hair that goes around them, which seems easier to me then trying to sew an extension of netting to an existing pair of wookiee pants. I'm sure it can be done, by hand, but you won't be putting them though a sewing machine with hair!

The other good part is you can technically reach your real foot to snap the pants on after locking into your stilts. If you have pants all the way to the floor, you will need a handler to snap them in for you as there is no way you could bend over that far to do it yourself.

Crix wrote:

you make it pretty much form fitting, but do you pad your thighs to bring the suit out to blend with the bump of your feet?

From the pictures of wookiees out there, the wookiee is mostly a straight legged-ed beast (add lanky if you are doing a Chewie), :

What I did is stood on my stilts (stilt at the time) and had a friend tape masking tape at the furthest protruding part of the stilt (usually the toe) and run it vertically all the way and tape to wear my belt would be. You then get an imaginary angle and you can then guesstimate where you need padding on your thighs by looking at your side profile.

You'll definitely need to pad above your foot so you won't have that "wookiee foot shelf look". Now above that, above the knee, you'll have to decide how far you need to pad your thigh (if at all). Here are some pics of what others have done here:

This pic is from this thread.

Again in my opinion, you want to finish up your feet/stilts first by building them out before making your pants. You want the pants to be form fitting to the "wookiees" legs, which means the wookiee legs have to exist first before you can measure. Once those are built, then have a friend eye ball you from the side an front and see if you need padding. That's why I like the masking tape trick to help visualize a "straight leg". I'm hoping to get away with my old high school football thigh pads Wink

I hope that helps, and like I mentioned in the beginning, if any veterans have a better method, please correct me! I'm still learning all this but trying to minimize my mistakes and do-overs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: