Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=da0386686e6ed9f09d465c2e2db03f42Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Noghri

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Noghri Reply with quote

I am looking into creating a Noghri costume but I wanted to know if there are any costume judges that might be able to help me out with what I would need to become approved at the end for a Generic Noghri.

Obviously I will need my 3 visual references and it will need to look like the references. My question is more along the lines of what standards would there be? Something like this?

1. reference accurate Noghri head, hands and feet
2. leather/pleather belt with tools
3. Earth tone half leg pants
4. Earth tone tunic (short sleeve or sleeveless)
5. wrist wraps (leather or cloth)
6. leather/pleather satchel

7 (optional): illustration accurate styled short swords
8 (optional): leather/pleather blet pouches
9 (optional): thin Obi/sash

I have seen several illustrations and I know there are more than 3 visual references, but some Noghri look slightly different than others.

This is what I had in mind...What are my chances of getting approved (Formal or Informal) if I replicate this photo?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MothMonty (Greg)
Outrider Base XO
Outrider Base XO

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking up Noghri the other day as well. Here is a pic from wookie ped in their body guard outfit
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping that a Costume Judge can chime in here and let me know what type of issues I might run into as far as the RL politics of a Generic Noghri. I know, if it is something I want to do, then do it...but for people who have to balance projects based on what can have use time very sitting in a closet waiting for a Con. I don't really go to cons, so it is important that whatever I make can be used in some of our events.

LCJ, if I replicate the image in my original post and do so with great detail, would the build be approved and able to troop in? Obviously pending base CO approval per event. Keep in mind I am also the perfect build for a Noghri (4'11" 150lbs)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'll be honest - I am going to be unavailable from today until next Tuesday and I don't have time to look for references.

Here is my rule of thumb:

References must be generated by Lucas whether it be the Films or Arts division. Fan Art isn't official.

Come up with 3 separate references and then I'll look at them.

Not meaning to be short but I'm literally about to be out the door for the next few days.

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars: Dark Horse Republic Comic #68

Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Alien Species

The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook

Those are just a quick 3 that I could come up with but there are plenty more out there. I was just hoping to base mine off of the best picture, the one from the Essential guide.
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any references where they are not in Thrawns service or in service to the empire? Is that picture you want to reference a specific Character thats a Jedi? I admit I dont follow EU hardly at all anymore outside of the pilot novels.

If you have some written reference that they do their own thing and not just evil... it might not be a problem.

Jawas and Tuskens didnt side with anyone being the example... if the entire race of every instance known of them just are on the badguy side, you might want to check about its acceptance into the 501st instead...

If he is a Jedi or there were instances of the race just existing and doing their own thing outside of service to the empire or similar... its probably something that can end up with formal approval eventually. You do have three references. Just have to prove why its RL and not 501st or that it can be both... As you'd be the first person working on it, your help would be needed to create standards as well. Which would be hard because like you said, they have slight differences in appearance.

EU characters also have the unfortunate need to look GOOD and there tends to be less work around for them for acceptance. Someone to talk to would be Mr Spanos over on the Flagship Eclipse. I recommend you joining those forums as well for working on EU stuff. There is a lot of people very interested in EU over there who have to create things from nothing for EU characters. Between the Wretched Hive and Flagship Eclipse you should find lots of help.

I wouldnt see why you couldnt wear it at certain events if it ends up being in either group.
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Thrawn trilogy they are also in service of Leia as her body guard and it is the Noghri that eventually kill Thrawn. Also they are seen as body guards for Leia in Planet of Twilight. They are every bit as "good guy" as Starkiller who spent the majority of his time in service to the Empire. As we seen in these instances, it is one really good deed that puts someone on the lighter side and for the Noghri, it was turning against the Empire, killing Thrawn and protecting Leia. That's more than Tuskens ever did Wink

But I see your point that many people wouldn't know the difference...I mean cmon, I get called chewie, yoda and ewok when I'm trooping in a Jawa so the fan base is easily confused. But the fans who are big into EU would really get a kick out of seeing a Noghri trooping beside Leia the same way a Royal Guard would beside Palpi.
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, then I'm good with it, as long as the representation comes out well Smile

We'd probably want to include creature LCJs on this information as well to be sure they are accepting of that...
Cam R'Mala (Lamar)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the conversation, but... Noghri have appeared in 3-dimensional form in the LucasArts video game 'Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy'. If that helps whatsoever...
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jawa wrote:
In the Thrawn trilogy they are also in service of Leia as her body guard and it is the Noghri that eventually kill Thrawn. Also they are seen as body guards for Leia in Planet of Twilight. They are every bit as "good guy" as Starkiller who spent the majority of his time in service to the Empire. As we seen in these instances, it is one really good deed that puts someone on the lighter side and for the Noghri, it was turning against the Empire, killing Thrawn and protecting Leia. That's more than Tuskens ever did Wink

But I see your point that many people wouldn't know the difference...I mean cmon, I get called chewie, yoda and ewok when I'm trooping in a Jawa so the fan base is easily confused. But the fans who are big into EU would really get a kick out of seeing a Noghri trooping beside Leia the same way a Royal Guard would beside Palpi.

Yeah and I've been called R2D2 in my stormtrooper, lets not get into what I've been called in my X-wing, the public is dumb...

(beware EU Spoilers follow)

Leia has Noghiri bodygaurds in several books past the point of her being Chief of State, until the point she becomes a Jedi. I'd love to see a Leia with a Noghri bodyguard myself, even if the point of the Noghiri bodyguards is to not be seen. Laughing

I agree with Wolfie's assesment to get help from the Flagship Eclipse, especially since Noghri can be on both sides of the force, they specialize in this type of character, and Thomas Spanos is the master when it comes to bringing EU characters to life.
Alpha Chaos 13 ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I've always loved the Noghri & was thinking of joining the Rebel Legion with one. Did this ever go anywhere? Thanks!
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still working on the build. Money limits are making it go even slower than I'd like lol. The soft parts are easy to make, the mask is the hard part. Once I can, I'll be making a mold of the head so I could help others out who might want a Noghri too.
Alpha Chaos 13 ()

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jawa wrote:
I am still working on the build. Money limits are making it go even slower than I'd like lol. The soft parts are easy to make, the mask is the hard part. Once I can, I'll be making a mold of the head so I could help others out who might want a Noghri too.

Cool, thanks for the reply. It would be awesome to one day show up at a troop as a Noghri without warning my buddy who does Thrawn!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: