About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=233bb9ba20a1adf48f3c83d8e8473591Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Naboo Ep 1 battlemaiden WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Naboo Ep 1 battlemaiden WIP Reply with quote

I dug out a box of my old projects today and found where I left off on my patterning for the battle handmaiden. The original pattern was made up somewhere around 2001 (and that I'm not quite sure where it is..) and this mockup was cut out in 2008 before the last time I moved.

(Yeah... I literally JUST pulled it out of the container it'd been in for the last few years.. ^^;; )

And here a shot that shows the fabric that had been purchased probably back in 2001-2002.

I'm still on the lookout for trim for this outfit since I never did buy it back then (thought I did, but apparently not). If anyone has recommendations on the trim I'd be ever so grateful! And after having browsed a few threads, I know a few parts on this pattern I'm going to go back and fix.
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for more battlemaidens!

There's a ton of stuff on our build in This Thread.

We ordered our trim from Istanbul, though it looks like they now only have silver and not gold. :-\

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Supplieratcorner?section_id=6341040&page=4

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you pulled this one out of the bin. I can't wait to see it come together.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Your build thread has been incredibly helpful so far. (And I'd like to just say for the record that I LOVE all the battlemaidens you guys made and only hope mine comes out as well as yours!)

Any idea on the total fabric yardage that you had to buy for it?
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out and hit a couple of different stores today in the hunt for parts for this outfit. I know I don't have enough velvet to do the whole thing (pants and coat) so I was hoping I could find something akin to what I already have and also start hunting down lining material.

Sadly the price tag of this velvet made both me and my wallet cry. ;-; (No way could I buy any...)

The only thing I was able to pick up today was the cotton for the undershirt.

The pleating diagram that SongofAmazon/Jenna did will be incredibly helpful when I get to pleating that material!

In the meantime, I shall continue my hunt for trim and velvet/lining through the interwebs.. I also have my work cut out for me in fixing up my original patterns. After a long talk over video chat with my mom (who is an expert seamstress) about what I have and what needs to be altered, I've got a good plan in my head. The next couple of weeks shall prove interesting if I can keep my motivation up!

Edit---
I'm thinking of ordering a swatch on this velvet.
http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/Plush-Silk-Velvet-44--Wide/Burgundy-Silk-Velvet/366/263
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenna would be the keeper of the math on yardage. I know we BARELY made it on the Velvet (and I had to sacrifice 1 inch of length), and that was 18.25 yards for the three of us.

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*nod* Mkay.. I'm still working on my pattern so I'll have to see what I end up with. Also, still hunting down trim. Which I found the exact movie trim....in black/gold and white/gold. -_-;;;

http://www.amazon.com/Venus-Ribbon-4-Inch-Metallic-Jacquard/dp/B008AFV0TM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1350136838&sr=8-3&keywords=gold+jacquard+ribbon

http://www.amazon.com/Venus-Ribbon-4-Inch-Metallic-Jacquard/dp/B008AFV11E/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1350136914&sr=8-24&keywords=gold+jacquard+ribbon

Go figure... I'm almost tempted to see if I could use gold fabric spray on this.. XDD
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start, I'm curious if this trim would be acceptable?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/91954944/custom-order-thank-you

As an update of where I am currently on the costume itself, I've gotten the front and back jacket patterns sized down and drafted a new sleeve pattern.

Having a video chat with my mother a couple days ago was of great help and inspiration for me. Also, I did a lot of studying of the screen-worn costume from the exhibits that people have taken photos of and been able to spot all the seams in the jacket along the shoulder and collar, which match currently all the seams I have planned. (Been studying the photos also to see what other modifications I need to make to my current patterns.)

Next on the list is to cut out a test of the sleeve to see if I got my pattern right, and then I need to work on the skirt section. Pleating is not my favorite thing in the world, but I've seen where they need to go and I'm up for the challenge! ^_^
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that pleating made me crazy. >.< Haha. But then it will all be over with and your costume will be gorgeous.

So, yardage, I am pretty sure I pitched the notebook I calculated all that in, but I believe it was 7-8 yards of velvet apiece. This includes half circle sleeves and six box pleats across the back skirt portion of the jacket, as well as pants.

Also, if you can figure this all out (I haven't written up instructions or explanations yet, sorry!) here is my scanned coat pattern: http://www.toweroftime.com/fotos/coat0001.pdf

I think that trim you found on etsy would work well. Really, since the real stuff is out of circulation, you're looking for something metallic gold with a nice pattern in about the right width.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes... Well, I figured it was going to be something like that. ^^; Your pattern is pretty awesome and will be helpful as I make my own adjustments, thank you! Smile As for the trim, it's now been ordered, so here's hoping I can get my pattern finalized soon! Neutral

I cut out a test on my own sleeve pattern I had because it was hard to tell with the pattern paper. Even though I cut out sleeves for a full jacket fit test, I only ended up pinning one on. I'm going to make jacket adjustments and also extend the curve of the sleeve. (Note this material does not have lightweight drape, sadly.)

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking pretty awesome! My only suggestion would be that you probably want to make the collar portion a bit exaggerated. You're going to lose some height to seam allowance when you line it. Same with your sleeve too. Ours actually had about an extra four inches that hung loose below the arm hole so that it was long enough on our arms, plus there's seam allowance again.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Oh, there will be seam allowances added in, this is just for pattern layout. ^^ Pattern drafting was usually my Mom's area, not mine, so this is all new to me. I've got some tweaking to do and left notes for myself on the pattern pieces themselves so I know what I need where based on fit. Also, looking at photos of the screen costume, I'm going to extend the bottom seam of the jacket down further a few inches before the skirt part begins.
JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an update, I've got a little bit of pattern tweaking still to do before I make a second mock-up of the outfit. The velvet has been purchased (my wallet cried, despite the use of a 60% off coupon.. ._.;; ), I'm waiting for the trim that was ordered, and I still need to pleat and pattern my shirt.

The only parts I don't have are the satin lining, belt & belt buckle, and boots (oh, and hair extensions for the "bow tail" as I call it because my hair will never again be long enough to do that) - and now that the costume standards have been changed I have to hunt down a pistol (instead of being able to use the Naboo Security Volunteer Pistol I already own..) and make a holster...

I shifted gears to my Jedi costume for a bit because I wanted to fix it up for Halloween at work, plus take a break from the battlemaiden's patterning. After next week I'll be going back to this again.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just bought our blasters on amazon, using the Rubies ones, giving them a longer barrel, and painting them the correct colors. It's not idea, but it still looks pretty nice in pictures.

JediSionnaTrekina ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty much what I was planning to do. ^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: