About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b994bc0bd4d68ae695efd9e12f254b36Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

stilts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: stilts Reply with quote

can I ask what stilts people are using?

never used them before.. when I search for them, I find all different kinds.. not sure what I should be looking for

who recommends what?

I am hoping to stay under $150... I understand you get what you pay for..

looking for different options

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people use what are called Skywalker stilts - but you won't find them for anywhere close to $150.

Myself, I use a brand called Skyskraper stilts that I got off of ebay for about $85. They have worked quite well for the year I've been using them.

Hope that helps.
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got these, but I'm still learning to walk in them so I can't testify if they are any better or worse than others:
http://www.amazon.com/MARSHALLTOWN-ST18-SkyWalker-18-Inches-30-Inches/dp/B001ACI4CI/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1349899093&sr=1-1&keywords=skywalker+stilts+18
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of threads in this forum with lots discussion about stilts. In short, people are either using traditional drywall stilts or the skywalker stilts. Both feature a moving ankle mechanism to make it easier to walk. 150 is a reasonable price for traditional drywall stilts.
Typically you use 14" stilts (this is the shortest you will find).
. They
The bending toe stilts used by disney and other professional stilt walkers are called bigfoot stilts and are very expensive.

Some other wookiees have used bucket stilts, though I haven't seen them in action so I can't comment in how well they work.

The rest use done sort of platform boots, either made of foam or modified from existing platform boots such as kiss boots or halloween monster boots.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to the stilt discussion, keep in mind the "height" you are targeting with your wookiee. Most stilts have a "minimum" height, out of the drywall type you are looking at a minimum of 14" Like Matt said. So lets say you are a 6' tall guy, add 14" and you'll be 7'2", but don't forget about 4" of wookiee head, that puts you at 7'6", a good wookiee height.

Take that SAME scenario with the skywalker, it's minimum is 18". So now you are close to 7 foot 10 inches! It starts to get weird if you are freaky tall. Remember a lot of indoor areas are about 8ft tall.

So make sure to take in account your actual height + how tall you want to be. That might help you decide which stilt to use. If you are already in the 6'2"+ range, you may want to look into a platform shoe instead.

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get Skywalker stilts at 15" just so you know. The sell more than 1 base height. Smile
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
You can get Skywalker stilts at 15" just so you know. The sell more than 1 base height. Smile

My bad Bob! I actually knew that, but spaced it when I typed my response. Embarassed

I even had a shortcut to it in my browser: Skywalker 2.1 15-Inch to 23-Inch Drywall Stilts

Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys!

I am 6'
at first I was just going with the platfrom type shoes... foam build up..
but i didnt think it would make me tall enough..
so started leaning towards stilts.. the Skywalker ones were the ones I wanted, because I've seen Bob's in person and liked it. then I seen the price and wanted to look around some more Very Happy

found a few different kinds on Ebay, little on the old side, but round $60 to $80.. hate to spend $80 not liking them and 6 months later having to spend $150 to get the better pair.
I was looking at these...just cause the price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drywall-Stilts-adjustable-15-to-23-/140863531203?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cc1ee8c3

but the ones RIVETHEAD look interesting..

Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crix wrote:

I am 6'
so started leaning towards stilts..

I'm 5'11" and I originally wanted to go with stilts, but then decided I would experiment with shoes because I wanted to be able to squat down. Problem is at that height of shoe, I had to add a side stabilizer, which negated my plan. But since I'm almost done with them, I'll go with it. When I'm done I should be a 7'4" Chewie.

If I was to do it again I think I would go with the Skywalker, pricey but most natural movement. Also I may build a pair, but that is in this thread: "Stilt Showdown!"

I like the ones RIVETHEAD posted, but like I mentioned above, 7'10+ seems almost too high to me. That's just my opinion though.

Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todzilla wrote:
Crix wrote:

I am 6'
so started leaning towards stilts..

I'm 5'11" and I originally wanted to go with stilts, but then decided I would experiment with shoes because I wanted to be able to squat down. Problem is at that height of shoe, I had to add a side stabilizer, which negated my plan. But since I'm almost done with them, I'll go with it. When I'm done I should be a 7'4" Chewie.

If I was to do it again I think I would go with the Skywalker, pricey but most natural movement. Also I may build a pair, but that is in this thread: "Stilt Showdown!"

I like the ones RIVETHEAD posted, but like I mentioned above, 7'10+ seems almost too high to me. That's just my opinion though.

I am still up in the air on what I want to do... I might try to experiment with the foam and shoes.. I have some of that foam in my garage..

I worried cause we have some pretty tall Vaders in my area.. I dont want to be shorter than them Laughing

I am going to have to find out how tall they are

Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crix wrote:

I worried cause we have some pretty tall Vaders in my area.. I dont want to be shorter than them Laughing

I am going to have to find out how tall they are

LOL! That would be funny! Per the Star Wars data bank, Vader is 6'8" and Chewie is 7'6". Hopefully none of the Vaders in your area are actually height! Even if one was 6'5", if you could get to 7'4" or so you should be fine.

Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really do not want to compromise on the stilts.

They are the things you will be on top of all the time. you want something comfortable and most def. dependable that can take the force of walking and all the movements you will be doing.

$150-$250- is really not that expensive when you consider how important this part of your costume is.

Skywalkers are so comfortable and natural in movement. they weigh 7lbs each and really balance well.

I highly recommend NOT doing the foam lift. When its all said and done you will spend a bit of money....Not as much as stilts, but you will have potential ankle breakers and still not be the height you will want to be. Not to mention your feet will be soooo big they will not look right for the height and body size.

Peter Meyhew was 7'9' in the Chewie costume. Not 8'......This info is straight from Peter himself.

Hope this helps......

Chewy Layers snow to print
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookiewannabe wrote:
You really do not want to compromise on the stilts.

They are the things you will be on top of all the time. you want something comfortable and most def. dependable that can take the force of walking and all the movements you will be doing.

$150-$250- is really not that expensive when you consider how important this part of your costume is.

Skywalkers are so comfortable and natural in movement. they weigh 7lbs each and really balance well.

I highly recommend NOT doing the foam lift. When its all said and done you will spend a bit of money....Not as much as stilts, but you will have potential ankle breakers and still not be the height you will want to be. Not to mention your feet will be soooo big they will not look right for the height and body size.

Peter Meyhew was 7'9' in the Chewie costume. Not 8'......This info is straight from Peter himself.

Hope this helps......

Thank you Wookiewannabe

thats exactly what I wanted to hear and what I didnt want hear Laughing

skywalkers was my first choice anyway... well, I have some time.. so hopefully I can find some on sale. thank you everyone!

Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookiewannabe wrote:
I highly recommend NOT doing the foam lift. When its all said and done you will spend a bit of money....Not as much as stilts, but you will have potential ankle breakers and still not be the height you will want to be.

This makes me so sad Sad LOL In my case I wanted the flexibility, but like we all knew, it compromised the height. But then when I got the height, I compromised my ankle, which then made me add aluminum support shafts anyway. I'm not quite done with them, but if I feel they are not comfortable or not safe, I'll switch to stilts. My problem was I'm about 275lbs, and all the stilts I see are rated to 225, so that always worried me.

firebird ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe people with video footage of themselves walking and moving around could post links so that we can see the differences between the various types.
eg, Skywalker , drywall and lifts . (bucket and home made ones maybe even)
It might help people make a better informed decision Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: