About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e220ed7f5a14d1cce0d44dd2e3af9100Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A-Wing wip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Good luck with it! Smile

Not that you're required to change it, and I don't mean to discourage you or anything, but there are no straps attached to the flak vest, there are just straps on the chestbox. The buckles attach to the flak vest via some sort of rectangular clasp...
Or at least that's how it is on the Mon Calamari A-wing pilot from the RotJ deleted scene. I can't say for the human pilots but I would assume it would be the same.

It's the same setup on the B-wing flak vest with the buckle. I couldn't find anything even remotely similar so I had to make mine from pieces of balsa wood that I glued over the end of the buckle. I attached the buckle to the flak vest via a short piece of webbing that I fit through a small slit I made in the vest-- the strap fit through the slit and was sewn in on the back of the vest.
It didn't work extremely well but it does the job for now, though I'd really like to find something better. I tried making some resin clasp thingies first but no matter what I did I could never get the liquid resin to fill the mothermold completely, so they always came out lopsided...

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far, but i also think you should use the buckles for fixing the chestbox to the vest.
This also has a big advantage: You can very easily remove the box from the vest e.g. for repairing it or for packing reasons.
I love this way of connecting the parts...
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the box attached to the vest on the shoulders there is a tendency for the vest to glide down. I've fixed that by adding snaps to the underside of the vest and the flightsuit at the shoulder seams.
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Obi Anne!
I also thought of fixing the vest to the coverall for this reason. The box & tube & hose construction pulls down the vest all the time....
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velcro. I have Velcro on the shoulders of my coveralls and on the shoulders of my flak vest so the vest "sticks" to the coveralls and doesn't move. That way it always stays in position, even with the chestbox.
I use heavy-duty Velcro.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ideas! My chest box is rather light since it is either hollow or foam and when I tried it on, it didn't move. I haven't attached the hose yet and that will have some weight to it...so I may be making some changes soon.

The straps are currently attached to the back of the box and the vest...might rethink that too.

Awing

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of posts lately, work, work, work. New pics soon!!! Awing

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply "Stay on target"...
Real live rules! Razz
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after a few months hiatus from the flight academy...the flack vest and chest box are almost done. Here is a nearly finished pic. I do have a question to throw out...does the hose connect to the belt or to a box on the belt or to the side of the vest??? I am leaning towards a belt box, but screen caps. show different versions.

Awing

―General Han Solo
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks great to me!

And for the hose: For me it makes only sense to connect the bottle with the suit or the vest, and not to an extra box.
I decided to fix the hose end to the vest for "practical" reasons - I can put the vest on and off in one piece!
But that is only my thought...
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, just don't forget the Costume Standards...

Quote:
4. Accurately styled scoop-necked charcoal/dark grey cloth or canvas flak vest with smaller white front section bib applied over it. (white section should have appropriate ribbing- one above chestbox, 2 below (separated from each other by a gap). This is NOT a duplicate of the X-wing vest. Small black plastic snap-release buckles on the shoulder straps. Side strapping should be white and 1.5" - 2" wide, shoulder strapping should match front and back panel material. Back panel is smaller and differently shaped than the front but should match front panel material.

Don't forget the ribbing mentioned in the Standards, if you do, you'll throw a brake onto your submission.

PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
Looking good, just don't forget the Costume Standards...

Quote:
4. Accurately styled scoop-necked charcoal/dark grey cloth or canvas flak vest with smaller white front section bib applied over it. (white section should have appropriate ribbing- one above chestbox, 2 below (separated from each other by a gap). This is NOT a duplicate of the X-wing vest. Small black plastic snap-release buckles on the shoulder straps. Side strapping should be white and 1.5" - 2" wide, shoulder strapping should match front and back panel material. Back panel is smaller and differently shaped than the front but should match front panel material.

Don't forget the ribbing mentioned in the Standards, if you do, you'll throw a brake onto your submission.

The ribbing is there (trust me!) and was an absolute nightmare to do...

Confused

―General Han Solo
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the hose, in the movie it seems like pilots just tucked their hose in anywhere. It doesn't look like it had an elbow joint that fixed it to the flightsuit like X-wing pilots, it seems like it just had some kind of loose end (perhaps that was supposed to connect into the cockpit?). Some pilots tucked it into their belt, others into the side straps of their flak vest, one or two even stuck it under the front of their vest, or roughly anywhere else that was convenient.
You could probably still use an elbow joint to fix it to the flightsuit if you wanted, as there isn't really any solid example showing exactly what is on the end of the hose. That's what I currently have for my B-wing pilot, though I'm planning to switch that to something else that looks like it would connect into the cockpit... at some point before I finish my final version of the outfit...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazard Three,

I weathered the vest a little last night with some soil, the ribbing stands out better and I like the look much better. Pics. soon.

―General Han Solo
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee,

I found a pic. in the Rogue Squadron comics that shows the X-wing pilot hoses do plug into the pilot seat (on the left). Should not be any real surprise...

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Regarding the hose, in the movie it seems like pilots just tucked their hose in anywhere. It doesn't look like it had an elbow joint that fixed it to the flightsuit like X-wing pilots, it seems like it just had some kind of loose end (perhaps that was supposed to connect into the cockpit?). Some pilots tucked it into their belt, others into the side straps of their flak vest, one or two even stuck it under the front of their vest, or roughly anywhere else that was convenient.
You could probably still use an elbow joint to fix it to the flightsuit if you wanted, as there isn't really any solid example showing exactly what is on the end of the hose. That's what I currently have for my B-wing pilot, though I'm planning to switch that to something else that looks like it would connect into the cockpit... at some point before I finish my final version of the outfit...

Awing

―General Han Solo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: