About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e534ac7647e1ceb7113514acbafa2caeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Valon's Official Generic Jedi WIP Thread!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padawan Valon (Sam Tilden)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Valon's Official Generic Jedi WIP Thread! Reply with quote

Hello guys and gals! Its been a long time since I've posted....sorry bout that. I got really sidetracked, but now I'm focused on the Jedi costume again. This mostly came about because I needed a (relatively) easy to assemble SW costume for Long Beach Comic Con on November 3rd and 4th. I WAS looking into getting a Mandalorian costume together, but that proved too improbable/stressful to do in such a short amount of time. So, I went ahead and decided to put that on hold, and to do a Jedi for the Con.

To expedite the process, I was forced to order the MR "BYOJ" tunic set. Yes....I know....many here don't necessarily like those. But What I've heard here is that the quality actually isn't as atrocious as many thought they were going to be, so I decided "hey, why not? For the upper ensemble, they cost as much as I would spend on a nicer quality set, plus I know they will get here on time.". So I ordered the brown inner tunic, and the taupe outer tunic/tabard/obi ensemble. I already have a pair of khakis I can use for the pants, so all I need now are the boots and belt (again, for the con, not for RL approval.....yet). I was going to go with this for the belt:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jedi-Knight-Handmade-Leather-Costume-Belt-and-Basic-Pouch-Flex-waist-sz-48-53-/190733968102?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c68a162e6

And go with the Funtasma walkers for the boots, cuz thats the budget I'm working on. For RL approval though, I'm going to upgrade those (hopefully) to a Corellian Imports belt, and, well.....actually....I dunno for the boots. Maybe these:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-975-imperial-officer-galactic-boots.aspx

But again, I know MR isn't well liked here. I'm open to suggestions. And of course I would need the small stuff, like food capsules, a comlink, etc....but I can worry about that stuff later for approval.

So, short term goals:

1.) Get passable belt

2.) Get Funtasma Boots

3.) MAYBE (money permitting) get the Cerean robe from MR (I really like the look of it. Would I be able to wear it for an RL formal costume, though?)

Long term goals:

1.) Upgrade belt to CI belt

2.) upgrade boots

3.) Get food capsules

4.) get comlink

5.) Get robe if Cerean one isn't acceptable

Oh yeah! And for the saber, I'm getting one of madcow's Ascend sabers with Crystal Shard, custom Powder Coating, and a 10W green LED. Yes, I know, I'm spending more on the saber than the rest of the costume, but....hey, I've been spoiled in the past with sabers, and I can't deal with having an awesome costume, and like a Hasbro saber or something (not dissing those sabers, just....like I said, I'm spoiled saber-wise). Plus, sabers are what got me into costuming in the first place! Very Happy

So....what do you guys think? Hopefully I can meet some of you at LBCC, if the RL is gonna have a table there.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I wouldn't (necessarily) say that museumreplicas (MR) isn't well liked on the RL. It really boils down to what kind of Jedi costume you want to make. For the face characters, sometimes the MR costumes needs modification (for various reasons). For generic Jedi, MR is generally okay, but...really expensive, for what you get. Well...everything from MR is WAY more expensive, for what you get. A much better looking costume can be made for far less!

The belt you linked looks good...if not a bit expensive. You can make one (including the pouches) for about half that out of real leather. Pouches can be from various surplus places. It all depends on how much time you have to get it done and how much effort you want to put into it. If you'd rather spend more money to reduce your effort, then (of course) that is okay Wink

The boots you linked are also okay. Just remember...the belt and boots need to match (not perfectly, but, you can't do a brown belt with black boots, or visa versa).

As for the Cerean Jedi Robe? That robe would not be acceptable for Generic Jedi...well, for any Jedi that I know of, quite honestly.
http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-2074-byoj-jedi-cerean-robe.aspx
It doesn't "look" Jedi at all...more like a sleeveless, short, monk's robe (or maybe a hooded vest from the 1740...think "pirate") with a cummerbund. Robes for Generic Jedi must have sleeves...but that's a whole other thread...that we've already beat to death Wink

For formal status, just pick three of the list that is available (robe, two pouches (or more), food capsules (a set of four), inner tunic, aqua breather, communicator or droid caller). Sounds like you will have your three items for formal status with the inner tunic, pouches and food capsules?

The lightsaber should be fine.

Post some pics when you begin to assemble your costume. We'd love to see it and help you along to approval Very Happy

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful reply! And good to know about the Cerean robe. I won't waste the $170 on it if I can't wear it for the RL. Also, yes, you can count on me posting pics. The MR tunic set should arrive next week, so I will keep this thread updated.
Dacen Salu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the robe you could try this

http://mystikmerchant.com/ROBES&CLOAKS.htm

comlink

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Jedi-Comlink-Not-Fx-Lightsaber-Prop-silver-/120993663692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2bc8cacc

for the food capsules, try corellian imports or there's a place overseas
that has all metal capsules, i have 2 sets myself.

good luck

The Force fights WITH me!!!
gizzmo88 (Mike moland)
Active Legion Member

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rebel Legion will be at LBCC. Do you live in that area
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dacen, thanks for those links! I'm interested in those robes now....

@gizzmo88, yes I do! I'm dorming at CSULB right now, actually.
obiwanamati (Christina A)
Sunrider Base XO
Sunrider Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for another good food capsule source I got mine from civilized galactic gear.

Also, I agree with Roger on the belt. I made my own and it was relatively easy. I got lots of good help with the dying process considering I'd never dyed leather before. Tandy Leather Factory can get you everything you need.

Just another option for you. You can even go with just the wide belt for now and upgrade later.

Good luck on the costuming and let us know if you need any help!

Also feel free to post in the sunrider jedi archives. (I believe I've seen you post in sunrider forums in the past)

We can help you out there as well!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Christina! I was actually just about to post over at the sunrider forums about LBCC! Look for that in a few minutes. Thanks on the suggestions, too. I'll have to take a gander at Tandy Leather Factory. I've only heard good things about them.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tandy has sales all of the time. Their belt blanks are often at 50% off. And (at least the guys at my nearest stores) they're very helpful in telling/showing you how to dye.

If you make your own belt and need some pointers, let me know.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Yeah, there's a store right by my parent's place in Costa Mesa. When I go home for the weekend or something I can go by there and not have to wait or pay for shipping! And yeah I'll definitely need pointers. I was thinking of getting one 3" strip, and one 1" strip from here:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/Leather-Belts-Leather-Straps/4523-190.aspx

to make an Old Republic style belt from, and then get the basic starter kit here:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/Beginning-Leather-Kits/55509-00.aspx

for the tools and dyes and stuff. Would that work? Cuz just in those materials, it'll be around $80, which is nearing how much I would spend on that eBay belt. But I guess it'll be worth it to be able to make it exactly how I want. 3 questions, though:

1.) What are the exact dimensions for the two strips I need for an OR belt?

2.) Where can I get the buckles needed for the thin strip? I'm not seeing the exact ones I need on Tandy's website.

3.) Is it easy to put studs in a belt? If so, where could I get those? I like the look of them....

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Sorry, just found the studs on Tandy.....oops!
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...I am making a tutorial, but here's a quick preview.

For an Old Republic style belt, you need:

2.25" wide belt blank
-this is usually in the 6-8 oz range of thickness
-This item is 2.5" wide, so I cut off 0.25:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/Leather-Belts-Leather-Straps/4523-190.aspx

0.5" wide inner belt strip
-I'm using leather that is in the 2-3 oz thickness for this. It needs to be bent back on itself, and that is more difficult to do with the thicker leathers.
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/9080-315.aspx
You don't need much. Two strips, each about 18" long (depending on your waist side, that is.

And...eight Sam Browne button studs:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/11311-02.aspx
-These are the screw in kind

I got a hole punch for the button studs (these are cheap, but you might could use a hand drill...haven't tried it, but it might work).

Then...you need to decide how to closet he belt and attach the inner strip. I sewed the inner strip to the back, and used snaps:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/1263-03.aspx
-These also need a tool...also very cheap.

There's tutorials on the Tandy site for how to put in snaps, and for staining the leather.

I also "aged" the leather to get stress lines like OWKs belt. This requires folding the belt blank over on itself and beating the crap out of it. Also, when you work with leather, wet it!

Well...this will get you started. I can be more detailed if you need. Again, I'm writing a tutorial about how I did my belts. But...if you're making yours "now", then you'll probably be finished before I get my tutorial finished Wink

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you for the detail! I will definitely put all of this to use. I think I've pretty much got it all so I can start on it....the only question I have is why do you need two 18" strips for the thin belt? Is there an advantage to this, over using one longer strip?
obiwanamati (Christina A)
Sunrider Base XO
Sunrider Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Costa Mesa staff is extremely helpful. That's where I went to get all my stuff. If there's something not in stock in the store they'll order it for you and you can come and pick it up when it gets in.

Also the two 18" strips are for the small belt buckle, in the front but also for how you attach it in the back.

It's a lot easier to have two pieces that allow for you to take the belt off easily. I'll try to take some pictures of my belt so you can see.

As for the small belt buckle, I bought one I saw at Jo-ann's and really liked. It gave a bit more custom look to my generic jedi while also fitting within the star wars universe.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks! I'll make a stop by the Jo-anns on Adams when I go home, as well then!
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Christina has it!

You close the belt in the back (I use snaps) and the keeper goes over the closure area to hid it. The two strips are attached to the back (under the keeper), then are linked via the buckle in the front. Just wanted to say it another way...hope I didn't confuse things Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: