Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=39fa5a2d4817369d7298478b969e0759Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hair!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roheryn ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much to order? I still don't know how many packages I have to order. I was thinking 35 total (both colors)?
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard up to about 80 packages......But better to ask someone who has built one lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roheryn wrote:
How much to order? I still don't know how many packages I have to order. I was thinking 35 total (both colors)?

I've been researching this too, this is what I've come up with so far:

Lumpy wrote:
I only used #27 (50 packs) and #44 (20 packs) on mine. Some people use some other colors. I have some left over of each color.

firebird wrote:

hereticdave wrote:
From my research I think I need:

60 x #27 (strawberry blond)
40 x #44 (gunmetal grey, from i kick shins)
10 x #4 (dark brown)
10 x #6 (chestnut brown)

120 packs is a lot of hair. Are you sure you need that much? I ordered 70 packs and after making my Chewie still have enough to make a small wookiee suit for my son. It is better to have too much than not enough but 120 seems quite a lot.

It looks like the average is 70. Mathematically it looks like most wookies built are around 7'-7'6", so the only other number is physical build. I'm going to be a fatter Chewie, so I may need more. Per Matt's blending ratios (2:1 #27 to #4 and 50/50 #44 and #44) I'm shooting for:
    34x #27
    26x #27
    10x #44

Again I'm a fatter wookiee so I might bump each of those up by 5 or so. The good news for me is I have a local shop I can get this from. However I bought them out of all their #44 and they are on backorder Sad

There is one more question for the veteran builders: when you talk "packages of hair" there are usually two types "jumbo braid" and "regular" (or non-jumbo). I've been buying the non-jumbo braid. So there is the possibility that someone buying 120 packages MAYBE correct if they are NOT buying "jumbo-braids". Then again, we won't know until someone who already built one lets us know the "size" of the packages they have purchased.

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is the sample I am wanting to use for my wook...

The hair has a little shine to it (more like freshly washed hair) and not a flat matte. I was using the 4/amber mix from Ikickshins it is the perfect color I am looking for as well. I was just worried about the slight shine. will this be ok?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kallabeccani wrote:
The hair has a little shine to it (more like freshly washed hair) and not a flat matte. I was using the 4/amber mix from Ikickshins it is the perfect color I am looking for as well. I was just worried about the slight shine. will this be ok?

Of course I'm a noob and haven't completed a suit yet, but of all the hair I've been shopping around for seem to all have some shine to them. Some packs are SUPER shiny, the others have a mild shine to them. I now only buy and use the less shiny types.

Still though, I worried about the mild shine and in my research I found this info:

TK-6162 wrote:
Its a make-up product by Ben Nye called Ash Powder. I've been using it for years to dust myself up for Wild West shows.

I've recently been using it on my daughters Jawa and her Ewok suit. Her Ewok suit had somewhat considerable amount of sheen to it. By working the powder into her suit it dulled it up big time. Besides that, it gives it more of used/weathered look as well. Now, I haven't used it on Kanekalon yet but I can't imagine it not giving it the effect. I'll know soon enough.

Update: The Ash Powder works exceptionally well on eliminating that Kanekalon shine.

Yahoo! Voices wrote:

If a wig is too shiny it can look fake so this is an important step. You can de-shine a wig or hair extensions by putting a little baby powder on it and work it through the wig or hair extensions. Only put a little bit of baby powder on the wig or hair extensions otherwise it will look gray.

Again before taking my advice, see what the veterans have to say. The hair I'm working with is only about as shiny as healthy human hair. So I probably wont use any powder in it. UNLESS, people say "hey your wookiee is shiny", in that case I'll try one of those powder tricks.

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nye's also has other poweders that will take the shine off. Brown greys... etc...

I found after you use hair spray it is nice to poweder the mask down as well to prevent a shine.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a good option I just hope that it doesn't change the overall color of the hair. I really love the reddish brown of the hair.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Nye's also has other poweders that will take the shine off. Brown greys.

Bob, you mean like these?:

Looks almost like "plains dust" and "charcoal" would be perfect for Chewie.

Angela, I think "plains dust", might work for you. Personally I don't think the "minor shine" is an issue, but if you want to dull it down, this might be worth a shot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol the one behind plains dust (the more red one) would probably do better. My wookiee (Kalla as i call her) is a very rich reddish brown the white hair I have seems fine. And small trouble with dusting.... how not to get the colored dust on the white.... lol
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kallabeccani wrote:
I got the hair from Sally's beauty supply and it was Sassy's brand which might have been a lesser grade I do not know. I just thought to try a different method because of the difficuly I was having and how it came out. The new stuff I have all came from Ikickshins and what I have chosen as my colors are labeled under best quality so I will try the hairdryer again.

what was the concusses on Sally's Sassy's brand? it does say 100% Kanekalon..
I only ask cause I have 4 of those stores in my area.. not sure if they have the colors I need, I didnt see them on their online store.

trying to save on shipping, plus my sister gets a discount there. Very Happy

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crix wrote:
Kallabeccani wrote:
I got the hair from Sally's beauty supply and it was Sassy's brand which might have been a lesser grade I do not know. I just thought to try a different method because of the difficuly I was having and how it came out. The new stuff I have all came from Ikickshins and what I have chosen as my colors are labeled under best quality so I will try the hairdryer again.

what was the concusses on Sally's Sassy's brand? it does say 100% Kanekalon..
I only ask cause I have 4 of those stores in my area.. not sure if they have the colors I need, I didnt see them on their online store.

trying to save on shipping, plus my sister gets a discount there. Very Happy

nevermind.. went to another sally's today... they wouldn't even give the time of day.. so forget them

Crix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am testing straightening the hair
I tried hair dryer low heat... nothing really happen... maybe a little..
I was worried about going with high.. but didnt see any progress with low so figured give high heat a shot..

worked really good. put the dryer right up to the hair.. maybe 2-3 inches away on high heat.. moved up and down for maybe a minute.
the bottom is the hair I straighten with high heat.. top is the unheated hair from same package

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: