About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a59dc3a670c43b566a739be171fca6e9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Is this Canon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This style of robe is on my to-do list for next year. I particularly like the color scheme that you see Vrook and Juhani wearing.

I spent some time staring at the overlap and sketching it out so that I could better understand how to pattern this monster, and what I concluded is that it is moderately nonsensical. (Though, given that this is the game that gave us Juhani's collar piece without any kind of closure, I should not be surprised.)

While formality isn't as big of an issues for me, as I already have 6 formal RL costumes, I still would love to have a formal Jedi that isn't as ridiculous as Juhani and Q'Anilia. I did this sketch a while back, trying to adapt the cut to something currently acceptable in the standards. You'll see how I was fighting with the tabbards and never really found a style I liked that worked with the wrap robe.

The frustrating part of this design is that the part of the wrap that is on top in the front (your right side) remains on the top in the back. So it kind of has to be a tube costume that you wiggle into. It's not like the more kimono robes that you can wrap yourself into like a coat. This one will have to have to be pulled on over your head like a shirt.

If you want, I can work on drafting my patterns sooner rather than later for this robe and let you know what I figure out for shape and which patterns to modify off of.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that if a proposed costume isn't yet an approved costume for the Rebel Legion, it would be prudent to develop a design and a costume standards before actually making a costume. Most people who do this sort of do it at the same time (perhaps with a mock up), most often with the understanding that the costume will be approved. Otherwise, if there's a chance that a costume "cannot" be approved, then it might not be worth the effort.

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get bored, I write KOTOR standards for fun! Rolling Eyes

Generic KOTOR-style Jedi Robes

Sources:

Knights of the Old Republic game
Knights of the Old Republic comic
Shadows and Light story arc in Star Wars Tales

Gallery of reference images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39639089@N05/sets/72157631701628371/

Required items:

1. Outer robe with accurate wrap pattern and shoulder guards in brown, rust red, or blue. Accurate wrap pattern is defined as such: the top half wraps right over left. On the bottom, the left half of the robe overlaps the right half of the robe, in front and in back. The bottom is not a single wrapped piece, rather, two pieces, one wrapped over the other. The bottom half of the robe should be shorter in the front and longer (about knee length) in the back.
    2. Double undertunics or mock under tunics in coordinating color
      Brown robes have dark brown and white undertunics
      Red robes have navy blue and light mauve undertunics
      Blue robes have navy blue and white undertunics

3. Well fitting pants in the same color family as the tunic.
    4. Knee high black or dark brown boots.
    5. Accurate belt that matches boots
    6. Lightsaber

Optional item:

Gloves that coordinate with boots.

ON THE OPTIONAL ITEM:

Okay, so they’re almost always wearing gloves, but there is reference where they aren’t. And truthfully, that was just a game mechanics thing so they didn’t have to worry about the end of their sleeves looking strange with whatever animations they had to do. So, I say go optional on the gloves.

Feel free to add, subtract, edit, give feedback, etc. Mr. Green

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
darthrevan (Ally Bock)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, to keep in mind that this may or may not be approved. IMO if you want to make a costume for like a con or for yourself, that's fine.
Jeremiah 29:11
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, when I write this post, keep in mind that it comes from a place of love- a deep and abiding love of Knights of the Old Republic. Laughing

It's a point of frustration I know that I have, and I'm sure others have felt, that Joe Third Jedi from the Left can be created as a formal costume, even if it's not precisely within the generic Jedi standards, as long as they show up on screen in the movies, because that makes it Super Canon, that which cannot be argued. But if you try to make the Jedi robes that you wear for most of your 40-ish hours of gameplay in KOTOR, you'd better not be expecting formality unless you can back that up with lots of sources. But you can make it for yourself if you want, just don't expect the RL to accept it.

I'm not saying we shouldn't accept obscure on-screen characters. But I am saying that KOTOR is not exactly an unknown quantity. People recognize Bastila, Carth, Mission, Juhani, and all the main characters, and they would also recognize the standard Jedi robe, because you get something like ten different versions of it (same look, different stats as you level up). We're not talking about something like TOR, where you can have some pretty crazypants combinations and there's no telling what folks would come up with if we let every Jedi outfit from the game in, we are talking about one model that has three texture maps, and the texture maps pretty much only differ in hue. Writing standards for it is not so much of a stretch, and it's been found in three different sources. If you want more, then I will scour everything until I have them (I have one more source at least that I want to check before I call this one a day, but that won't happen until after I'm back from vacation).

This Jedi style is actually a lot closer to being recognizably "Jedi" than a lot of face characters from the era, and it's not something you can customize. And again, three sources. We have them. If standards can be developed, and a costume made to match them, it should be accepted.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

Jedi-Liam ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning to make these robes alongside an on screen canon set, As I have a costume event (charity and my school based) I have decided to make these first as a quicker less accurate endeavour that way i will not need to worry about accuracy, for the short time i have to make them It would be hard to create a truly formal costume.
Until I can make the formal costume I will hold back on posting a thread for the Kotor robe And may just show the finished product in this thread.
All the best everybody

~Liam
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam, don't give up on these just because they're not currently formal. I'm with you, I really do like the look. But, since you need a formal to get in, and this design isn't currently formal, you might want to switch around your order of operations for which Jedi costume comes first for you. Once you have a formal costume, you can apply for informal with a second.

My current plan with them is to adjust the details so that they do adhere to the standards we have now, such as adding tabbards, changing the belt style, adding canon belt goodies, and an under-tunic. That way I can take the tabbards off for conventions and stuff, but still have the wrap cut of the robe that I like.

I'll let you know when I have a mockup figured out for the shape of the patterns.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
...My current plan with them is to adjust the details so that they do adhere to the standards we have now, such as adding tabbards, changing the belt style, adding canon belt goodies, and an under-tunic. That way I can take the tabbards off for conventions and stuff, but still have the wrap cut of the robe that I like...

That is an exceptional idea! Thumbs up

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
When I get bored, I write KOTOR standards for fun! Rolling Eyes

Laughing Thanks for the laugh. And because I have nothing else to do (yeah, right), I'll comment on your standard proposal.

Generic KOTOR-style Jedi Robes

Required items:

1. Outer robe with accurate wrap pattern and shoulder guards in brown, rust red, or blue (Why limit it to these colors rather than allow the same color palette as with generic jedi? That is, no loud colors). Accurate wrap pattern is defined as such: the top half wraps right over left. On the bottom, the left half of the robe overlaps the right half of the robe, in front and in back. The bottom is not a single wrapped piece, rather, two pieces, one wrapped over the other. The bottom half of the robe should be shorter in the front and longer (about knee length) in the back.
    2. Double undertunics or mock under tunics in coordinating color
      Brown robes have dark brown and white undertunics
      Red robes have navy blue and light mauve undertunics
      Blue robes have navy blue and white undertunics

(Any reason for these specifications? Otherwise people should choose their colors themselves, IMHO).
    3. Well fitting pants in a color matching the tunic.
    4. Knee high black or dark brown boots.
    5. Accurate belt that matches boots
    6. Lightsaber

Optional item:

Gloves that coordinate with boots.

Everything in italics are adds/changes by me. Smile Feel free to discuss on.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be sewing, so I'll pop in really quick with my reasons for specificity: mainly, because this isn't generic in the same way as our current Generic Jedi standards are. You won't find a Jedi with a blue tunic and red pants, for instance. This costume is 'generic' in the sense that it's the Jedi robe they put on all the random NPC Jedi, but it only comes in those three color combinations.

So, yes. That's why I went for that. As I said before, these aren't customizable robes, they come as a full set, with three distinct looks.

Would it be the end of the world if someone wore a blue tunic and brown pants? Probably not. But it'd be less accurate. Wink

Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked about the colors partly out of shear curiosity (I haven't played the game), and because the comic seems to have different color combinations than the game. So I was wondering if you want to base this purely on the game, or if you want to go broader and say that those color combinations were the standard for that time period, but that other combinations can be used as well? (Of course, things should still match regardless of color). Smile

And in the standards include pictures of each of the three standard color combinations for reference.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: