About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=794b807ae60526d6caaac53cc9775d04Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Is this Canon?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi-Liam ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Is this Canon? Reply with quote

Hi there Rebels,
I have been pondering jedi options for along while now.
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/xbox/kotor/0715/k_screen115.jpg
Is this considered canon?
Also if or if not ,
Is there any information on a costume build or possibly any advice on tackling patterns etc.
All the best.

~May the force be with you.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Revan, from one of the KOTORs?

I will offer the following...

1. This costume would not be approved as a Generic Jedi.
2. I do not believe there is an approved costume for this character.
-And...the Rebel Legion does not have "approved" or costume standards for every possible character seen in the Star Wars universe. So, just because we don't have a given costume today doesn't mean it can't be added to our growing list of approved costumes.
3. Quite honestly, I'm unclear regarding the "3 reference rule" regarding developing new costumes. Though, it is my understanding that one of the reasons for the "rule of 3" was because the medium, at the time the rule was developed, was such that it was difficult to find complete (360-degree) images of a given character, which was needed to make a complete costume. Today, with such incredible rendering of characters for games, etc. this "rule" is less necessary. Someone with greater knowledge on this aspect should commend for clarification.

So...I'm not saying this costume couldn't become an approved RL costumes. I might suggest that it would be unlikely, considering the nature of the image.

So...is this Revan, post Darth Revan and before TOR?

Regarding patterns for Jedi costumes: there are many tutorials for Jedi costumes in the sub-forum Jedi Tutorials forums located at the top of the Jedi Forums. Have a browse through there Wink

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what passes for a generic KOTOR robe in the game- you'll find them on well over half the Jedi, in a few different colors (mainly brown, rust red, and blue). I'm not sure if there are three references for that style- I'd have to go through the comics again to see if I can find them- but I personally love this style of robes and want to make them for myself eventually. I'd be a happy camper if we could find a way to get these approved as formal.

EDIT:

Well, they're on Vrook Lamar, who wears them in both in the games and in the comics:

So that's two sources for the style. Unfortunately, KOTOR 2 was made by a different company, so they changed all the robes in the second game. And there's not the same kind of concept art publicly available for the first game.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Jedi-Liam ()

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of these robes also, I will look into finding some sources!
darthrevan (Ally Bock)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I don't believe it is accepted. Yeah that is Revan from KOTOR, and since you can customize his/her look and your party's look, it can be for any character. The only thing is that there are several NPCs who also wear it. Like Lisa said, there is blue, red, brown, and black (for dark side users). For KOTOR, light-side Revan is canon, but the player decides on what route he/she wants to go.
Jeremiah 29:11
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a random Jedi that accompanied Revan to attack the Star Forge. All of the Jedi wore the same types of robes that Revan wore. It is just a random Jedi, not necessarily Revan.
Active Legion Member

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darthrevan wrote:
I'm not sure, but I don't believe it is accepted. Yeah that is Revan from KOTOR, and since you can customize his/her look and your party's look, it can be for any character. The only thing is that there are several NPCs who also wear it. Like Lisa said, there is blue, red, brown, and black (for dark side users). For KOTOR, light-side Revan is canon, but the player decides on what route he/she wants to go.

Black wasn't only for Dark Jedi. Jedi Guardians wore them too. This is from the KOTOR Comics that take place just beforethe game KOTOR I.

Jedi-Liam ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am curious too is, Are these robes acceptable for just a Old Republic Jedi (Unnamed) Or would it need to be looked into and decided?
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, either:
1: Submit it as an unofficial costume (or make because you like it)
2: Make it an official costume by gathering 3 references
3: Modify it to meet the Gen Jedi requirements.
Jedi-Liam ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, Will make as an unofficial
If there is anyone else interested in this
Any ideas on how the fold works?
As the skirt seam is coming from the opposite side of the fold on the stomach
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add to Jermain's comments that...a person's first costume for the Rebel Legion must be "formal". After that, you can make "informal" costumes...meaning costumes that might not meet every requirement for a given costume standard.

Also consider, modifying any of the costumes pictured in this thread to be a Generic Jedi should be fairly easy. Honestly...I'd recommend you go that route.

Also, once you have decided on a basic design...PLEASE consider creating a Work In Progress (WIP) thread showing the progress of your costume. That way, others can comment on your costume and help you make it good for Rebel Legion approval Wink

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Is this Canon? Reply with quote

Jedi-Liam wrote:

Is there any information on a costume build or possibly any advice on tackling patterns etc.

Go here:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=250

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Jedi-Liam ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your great help! And the friendly attitude at the rebel legion to new comers!
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh snap, what's this, another source of robes with the same style?

This is from Shadows and Light, a story arc that appeared in Star Wars Tales.

So, yes. This style of robes shows up thrice, though per usual, the kind you can rotate around 360 degrees in the game is the best source.

I know it's tricky since this robe is not bound to a particular character, but you don't fall into the same kind of 'generic' trap, because it's the same design in three different colours (brown, blue, rust red). So I hope the LCJs will consider formality for this style of Jedi robe, and I'd be happy to help write standards for it.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Jedi-Liam ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your research jedi!
I still love these robes as I think they look more Action Ready , from a time where the jedi where more involved in the affairs of the universe and actively fought the sith!
Will wait for a superior of the form to chime in , but I think these robes have a pretty good chance seeing them in many different lights, colours and a 3d model!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: