About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4d31297c0129b72088ba10d598e33404Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Riyo Chuchi - looking for second opinions...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Clone Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troopergirl ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Riyo Chuchi - looking for second opinions... Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

Although I started the costume of the Pantoran politician seen in Clone Wars' first season episode "Trespass" almost 2 years ago, I just found time to continue working on it.

So far I started sewing the trousers, ordered shoes and have fabric for the gloves and a wig waiting for progress. And last weekend I continued work on the poncho.

As to achieve a kind of watercolour-effect, I painted the pattern on the fleece-fabric. At first I looked almost as I had hoped it would, but after drying over night the colour had soaked in almost everywhere on the front of the poncho. Therefore the fabric now has a hue of light blue and isn't pure white anymore.

I'm not quite sure if I want it to stay that way and perhaps carefully try to paint the pattern a little bit darker blue, so that the contrast is bigger, or if I should try to get rid of the paint completely and try another way to add the pattern.

I would be glad to hear anybody's opinion on that matter...
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the picture you posted it seems to me that the poncho has a light blue tone to it, so I think it would look good to keep the blue in the poncho, but then add something to make pattern stand out more. Maybe puff paint that doesn't soak in?
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so too. What kind of paint did you use?
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Troopergirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! That were just the opinions I was looking for, as I originally wanted it to be white-blue, but also think that the light blue tone doesn't hurt.

I used acrylic paint thinned with water und will try to emphasize the pattern with less water added tonight... Very Happy
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it goes.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Troopergirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the colour takes a long time to dry (and soak into the fabric) I can only make slow progress. So far it worked quite well to emphasize the pattern, but I'm struggling a little bit to get the light blue tone to the whole of the fabric without getting stains.

Yesterday I started with the bottom rim and placed a piece of the fabric I use for the trousers in the neck opening to get an impression how it might look like with the collar...

Troopergirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm continuing to paint the pattern on the poncho every little while...

And I started with the wig and made a coil out of foam to attach the hair around... here just a quick mock-up.

But I'm still not really convinced I will be able to cover the coil in a neat way with the available hair... Confused
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shape looks pretty good from that one shot.

One trick I learned early on with wigging is that taking a long wig into an up-do is usually a giant headache. How does the back look around the bottom? Every time I've had to style an up-do, I've usually had to add a weft along the bottom edge to cover up the bald spots where the hair is thin. Coiling does seem like a good idea, though, so when you get it into a shape you like, I recommend caulking (clear dry caulk only) and/or sewing it all in place so it doesn't fall to pieces with later wear and tear.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ariel (Puck)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really curious on how you did the wig.

For my Chuchi costume I choose a light blue as the base colour of the poncho instead of white.
Troopergirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear moderators,

could you please also close this thread, as I no longer intend on posting any progress on my costume when Ariel/Puck is not allowed to have a WIP-thread for her own Chuchi-costume as well.
Princess Leah ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll unlock it, but please keep in mind that this is not a competition, this is a community. The Royalty/Senatorial boards are clogged and choked with duplicate threads. It was not locked to prevent her from posting progress by so that all progress and research and resources could be kept in the same place.
After Halloween, I plan to work on cleaning up and reorganizing the boards in a big way.
Troopergirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FenigDurak wrote:
I'll unlock it, but please keep in mind that this is not a competition, this is a community.

Certainly this is no competition, otherwise I wouldn't show solidarity with Ariel/Puck. She started her thread a long time ago and I didn't want to hijack it with my questions, as I'm following a different approach in making this costume. As it feels there are at least a million Slave Leia or Padme-threads out there, I thought it would be ok to start my own thread.

I agree, that a general "research-thread" for every kind of costume is a great idea, but everybody should also be able to get help and opinions in his/her own WIP-thread, otherwise the general thread could easily get a little bit confusing, don't you think?

But thank you for unlocking Puck's thread.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troopergirl wrote:
I agree, that a general "research-thread" for every kind of costume is a great idea, but everybody should also be able to get help and opinions in his/her own WIP-thread, otherwise the general thread could easily get a little bit confusing, don't you think?

Not necessarily, IMHO.
One thread per costume (versus per reproduction) allows many opinions, techniques and advices to be collected in one thread. I can't see how splitting own WIP threads would help with that; the opposite is the case.
If it's one thread, people just have to read one thread instead of constantly being reminded of 'oh, you also need to read this or that WIP thread on the costume because that (other) thread has valuable information too'; versus the (much!) easier 'just read this thread from the beginning; all information and everybody's techniques to make stuff has been collected right here'.
Just IMHO, of course.

That having said - I would try to overdye the cape light taupe/blue/greyish. The original cape definitely doesn't have white as a base color. If you compare the cape color to the eye whites, you'll immediately see that the cape has more of a blueish/greyish tint than the eyewhites have.
Overdyeing the cape would also help to hide the blue 'ghost shadow' (=stains from running paint around the motifs) that your fabric currently has from painting it.

Also, I'm kind of wondering what color your wig is - in your photo, it looks light orange-ish; but on Riyo, the hair is almost pastel pink / bordering to lavender with no hint of peach or yellow in it; see:

Of course that could be the result of flash photography; I'm just wondering if it's indeed more orange or more pink.
Troopergirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after a bussy time a little update...

I've worked on the shinguards and they are almost finished by now...

Concerning the poncho, I will probably re-start with another fabric and perhaps a different kind of colour for the pattern.

I haven't worked on the wig, as I am still not sure how to style it and how to hold everything in place... But Naergi, it's defnitely not orange, but pink... wink2 Here the original product photo:

The boots are almost finished as well, so it seems I am working my way upwards...

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great. So you used a silver knit to cover the shin guards and toe, fascinating. I'd love to see how those look on your legs. How do you plan to do the oval gold bits?

As to the wig, one of the main reasons I put my Chuchi on hold until after I can get to Japan next year is that it's really hard to find that particular color of light pink-purple in wig fibers in the US. Your wig looks straight-up pink. I would advise trying to dye it a bit more purple before you style it. This is a pretty good wig dying tutorial here:

http://tothewigshop.blogspot.com/2007/10/wig-dying-for-dummies.html

Although the shape is different, the idea is fairly similar to this particular anime wig (Anthy from Utena). I did a pretty bad Anthy wig styling once (this girl is far better) but I learned some lessons from it.

http://www.katiebair.com/gallery/wig_tv_anthy.html

There are two challenging parts to the roll Chuchi (and Anthy) have. First, just getting the shape of the roll right. Most people I've talked to that have attempted that wig roll make a cushion of the shape of the roll (slightly smaller to allow for the hair to wrap around it) with wire in it to help it keep its shape. The cushion piece should be the same color as your wig so if it peeps through, people won't notice. Hair spray and a hair dryer are really helpful in this process. You may also want some clear-dry caulk to secure the whole thing in place. Though, I am pretty sure you can actually sew the cushion to the wig cap to keep it there.

This is all theory, of course, as I have yet to attempt Chuchi's wig myself.

The second issue is that when you pull up a wig into a ponytail or something like that, you get ugly bald-spots near the bottom where the fibers aren't as thickly distributed. You're going to need to sew in wefts (my favorite weft tutorial is here: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1079221/) into the bottom to cover up those bald spots.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Clone Wars All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: