Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f42faeaf8411cfdd42cf7d61c7aced05Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: advice Reply with quote

I been having one problem when it comes to my stilts. It feels like my foot wants to slip sideways. I have checked all my bolts and nuts and they are tight but I fear trying to take a step without holdimg onto anything. Is this normal to begin with? Am I holding my feet to close? Would a full wookiee foot be better for me to give better balance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the straps on your feet tight enough? I've found that crossing those straps helps me get rid of the wobbles, but it doesn't work for everyone; I've a friend that I taught to stilt walk for work this summer and she was not fond of crossing the straps. I had the same problem with thinking my ankle was twisting when I started out and yes, it got better for me personally when I added feet Smile I think it gave me the perception that I was more stable. I also found it easier to walk on grass (mostly because I was less afraid of falling on grass than solid floor). Mostly though, just practice, you'll get the hang of it. Good luck!
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolt a pair of shoes to the stilts!!

I don't even have foot straps on my stilts any more and have never had a problem rolling sideways.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there ,What kind of stilts are you using and have you adjusted the stilts to suit your gate? If they are not set up correctly they can be horrible to walk in.
When I started I felt like I was only walking on the very outside edge of the stilt foot until my wife told me I walk like a cowboy with bow legs (wonderful Confused ) but it helped me get the stilts set up correctly and that made a huge difference.
Any way good luck Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. My right stilt seems to bend outwards, like the sole of the stilt is not completely flat or someting. I'll ask my hub if he can figure out a way to get it upright and straight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is definitly my problem I feel like I am walking on the outside of my feet. I even went as far as buckling down an old pair of Rugged outback ankle boots (which are very heavy) to my stilts so I felt like my ankles were not bending sideways. It makes everything heavier but my running shoes are not good shoes for my stilts. I will be looking for a decent pair to bolt down but I figure my old worn out boots will do good for now as they are quite comfortable.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bolted a piece of heavy rubber to the bottom of mine the size of Chewie's foot.
Then I built the foot around the stilt foot.
I wanted the feeling of having more foot area so I would be more stable.
I had the same feeling that you are having.
I added a couple of strips of rubber to the sides and now I have no problems at all.

GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem when I first got my stilts. Basically your mass is not centered over the stilts and without the calve brace the stilt would tip over. I solved this by bolting an old pair of tennis shoes into the right place. I determined the right place with my dad, just doing trial and error, until the stilt felt "right."
firebird ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dry wall stilts you are using look very similar to mine. There should be an adjusting bolt (see pic) that allows the leg brace upright to move in or outwards from the foot plate. Getting this adjustment correct should allow you to stand in your natural manner with the stilt foot sitting flat on the ground. It might take a bit of messing around to get it set up right but will make a huge difference to your comfort and to your confidence. Bolting on shoes will also help but the stilts really do need to be set up to suit you first, they are very unlikely to be adjusted to suit you right out of the box . Hope this helps Very Happy

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helped Very Happy Together with some tighter shoes it is much more comfortable. Will try the bigger soles as well, think that helps a lot as well Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as it stops taining I will be able to try them back put as my room only has low ceilings. But I did look at them and seen what you are talking about. I also think my shoe is back a bit far by looking at the picture.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok moved the shoe forward and the feel is much better but I still want to ride the outsides. I tried moveing the calf brace inwards but it is all the way in. I also feel like when I go to take a step the whole stilt wants to go forward on me. I know that means i need to adjust the upper spring? Will try that for the next time. Good news is I am not shaking as bad when standing up and my confidence is growing although still scared to take a step without holding something.
firebird ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are walking on the out side edge of the stilt foot you actually need to move the brace outwards, moving it in will have made it worse.

As for leaning forward changing the spring settings can help as will getting your shoe in the right place, looking at the pic you put up it seems that the boot is about one and a half inches too far back. Having your ankle joint in line with the leg brace upright is a good starting point.
Good luck Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused! How will moving the bar outward stop you from walking on the outside of the stilts? Wouldn't that make it worse?
firebird ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, you're not the first to be confused by this setting and I'm sure you won't be the last, it seems quite counter intuitive and had me baffled at the start too.
Very hard to explain without pics but I will give it a go
Having the leg brace straight upright (in) means it's drawing a straight line from your calf to your ankle then down to the ground and if you are like most people your calf sticks out slightly further than your ankle does, you can easily check this by putting something flat like a ruler against the side of your lower leg and foot, so having them in a straight line will see the stilts shoot off at the same angle as the ruler does and the stilt feet will end up too close to each other in middle slightly angled towards each other and you will be standing on the outside edges of the stilt feet.
Moving the leg brace out allows both your feet and the stilt feet to be nicely upright then head off on an slight angle to where your calf is .
I hope this clears up the confusion Shocked (or made it worse)
All I can say is if you give it a go you should be pleased with the results even if you're not sure how you got there Razz

Bolting on a foot plate that is thicker on the inside edge can also do the job and may make your head hurt less Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: