Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=111a835ab8bf20f71c7afaec35e42ac8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hair!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Hair! Reply with quote

Ok So I have an experimental sken of hair I been playing with and discovered a new way maybe to straighten it. I was having a hard time with the hair dryer method as it was straightening it somewhat but still seemed to be frizzy and a bit krinkly. So I grabbed my trusty... Wet2Straight straightening Iron.... I set it on Low heat (the lowest it would go) and away I went. My cousin held the hair in the middle and I did one side in about 15 minutes of time. Here is the result:

The left side of the hair was done in 2 sessions of about 30 minutes each with high heat on low speed. I was pulling the Hair as tight as I could and it did stretch and smooth out but did not lose the...friz or crinkling much.

The right side was done on lowest setting of my Remington Wet2Straight Iron in about 15 minutes. It lengthen it a bit more AND pulled out a good portion of the friz and crinkles.

This saved me a good deal on time and less time on the annoyance of the hair dryer sound. It was also Easier to brush through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mobius (Kris Hurrle)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find! I would worry that even on a low setting it would potentially melt...

The left looks like artificial (wig hair) but the right side... WOW, it looks like real hair and I think one would be hard pressed to tell unless maybe they felt it.

Nice work!
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a good alternative. My biggest issue is holding the hair and then pulling it. As I mostly work solo (no pun intended) I only have so many hands. I know one member showed the "step on the hair, pull and blow dry method" but that still seems hard.

The once braid I did with my blowdryer only took 5 minutes and worked well (nice and straight). I may try this method too.

Oh but NEVER use a heat gun, even one with a low setting. I melted a bunch of hair LOL. A heat gun isn't a substitution for a hairdryer in case anyone was thinking about it.

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wondered that as well that is why I used my practice Hair. I just did a 1" section at a time not really letting it sit long in the hair just kind of brushing through each section till it straightened. I had to watch I did not pinch the hair as it was warm and easy to dent till it cooled down. The final result on texture almost hair like. It is a bit on the silky side though but a little bit of my thick and thicker dog hairspray (yes they make that for dogs) will coarsen it up a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todzilla wrote:
This sounds like a good alternative. My biggest issue is holding the hair and then pulling it. As I mostly work solo (no pun intended) I only have so many hands. I know one member showed the "step on the hair, pull and blow dry method" but that still seems hard.

I also work solo on most of this I just had my cousin to help as I was only doing half of the hair.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kallabeccani wrote:
Well I wondered that as well that is why I used my practice Hair. I just did a 1" section at a time not really letting it sit long in the hair just kind of brushing through each section till it straightened..

Since I'm a bald guy, I'm not too familiar with the straightener, but can't you pull the hair through the straightener? Or move the straightener over the hair?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todzilla wrote:
Kallabeccani wrote:
Well I wondered that as well that is why I used my practice Hair. I just did a 1" section at a time not really letting it sit long in the hair just kind of brushing through each section till it straightened..

Since I'm a bald guy, I'm not too familiar with the straightener, but can't you pull the hair through the straightener? Or move the straightener over the hair?

LOL Yes that is what I am talking about the 1" section is the thickness of the section I pulled away from the rest of the hair. My Iron is only 2.5" wide and to get a good heat on the hair you dont want to do it all at once, just in sections.

So you use the Iron like a brush pulling the hair through it so it stretches and straightens at one time. It even got those nasty hard to straighten ends! If you felt like you dented the hair from grasping it while it is still warm just run it through the iron once or twice and it pulls it back out.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like your straightening method is confirmed! For fun I googled kanekalon hair and straight ironing and this is what I found:

GnyseGirl wrote:
I don't know what everyone is talking about but yes you can flat iron kanekalon hair. It's Toyokalon and Polypropylene hair you CANNOT IRON! Just make sure it's 100% kanekalon that you are ironing. If you don't know, take a tiny scissor snip of it and light it on fire with a lighter. If it singes (smokes, burns and gets crispy) its kanekalon... iron away. If it melts its Toyokalon or Polypropylene hair, so don't you dare try to iron that!!! You just have to put your iron on a lower setting and use a serum ...

I do it all the time. You can even curl it that way. these bangs I did a kanekalon jumbo braid ... yes the kinky looking one. The bangs were silky and flowed like a breeze through the trees.

However:
yahoo answers wrote:
Can u flat iron kanekalon fiber hair?

Most of the time, yes. There are different grades of kanekalon, and some can withstand higher heat than others. Always test in an inconspicuous area first. Also, I've purchased some wigs that were labeled as kanekalon, but were actually Toyokalon, which has finer, shinier fibers that are not heat friendly.

Even more info, here is Matt's take on hair straightening:
GotWookiee wrote:
It takes me about 3 to 4 minutes to do half a package. I place the loose end of the hair in my hackle and then place a weight on the hair just past the midpoint (where the rubber band is). I have been using my copy of the Star Wars Chronicles as the weight. (big heavy coffee table book from the late 90's).

I brush the nozzle of the hair dryer back and forth along the hair, nearly touching it. I don't use any attachments as this generally disperses the heat and makes it take longer.

Ambient air temperature is major factor as well. It goes much faster in the summer time then in the winter.

I've also found that each hair dryer is different. Mine takes a while to be hot enough. My friend's hair dryer will hot enough to melt lead in ten seconds. We actually melted some of the hair on his first test (Merumeru build).

I've also noticed that darker colored hair takes longer than lighter colored hair.
My question to Matt is I notice no matter how TIGHT I hold the hair (and I've even used a bench vise) I start pulling out strands of hair. Am I pulling too hard? Also when you say you put the loos end of the hair in your hackle, is that near the end of the loose hair,or by the top near the book and rubber band? Also when I blow dry like this the hair just blows around.

Lastly here is Lumpy's famous hair straightening tutorial.
Lumpy wrote:
If you look in the tutorial section here, there is a WONDERFUL one about straightening hair. The guy who put it together (oh wait, that was me Wink ) did a great job. Laughing
Wookiee hair straightening

My only issue with this method is the same with Matt's method, is I end up pulling the hair from my foot, clamp, hand etc. My only guess is I may be doing too much hair at a time. Or maybe I'm just pulling too hard.

Either way Angela, I think I may play the gambler and pick up a straightening iron at the wal-mart or Target and try that too.

Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the quality of the kanekalon hair you buy is what is going to determine if it will straighten. Lesser quality hair have more plastic fibers that will not straighten. It takes me 1 minute and almost no effort to straighten a whole pack of hair with a regular hair dryer at high heat.

Buy the kankelon hair that has the word best quality on the package and you will not have issues.

The heat will relax the hair and straighten it really fast......

Chewy Layers snow to print
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten all of my #27 brown (actually strawberry blonde) hair from Texas Beauty Supply and have never had a problem straightening it. I even turn my blow dryer on high (granted it's a smaller travel size dryer) and as long as I keep the blower moving, melting hair is not a problem.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Marty said there are apparently different grades of Kanekalon hair. I had never encountered this when shopping for hair so this is new to me. But definitely shop around for hair that is easier to straighten if it is taking that much time and effort to straighten the hair. Its should only take a minute or two.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the hair from Sally's beauty supply and it was Sassy's brand which might have been a lesser grade I do not know. I just thought to try a different method because of the difficuly I was having and how it came out. The new stuff I have all came from Ikickshins and what I have chosen as my colors are labeled under best quality so I will try the hairdryer again.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kallabeccani wrote:
I got the hair from Sally's beauty supply and it was Sassy's brand which might have been a lesser grade I do not know.

For my very first wookiee test I also got a couple packs of "Sassy" from Sally and I also noticed their versions are "shiny" and not really matte. Don't know if this is true for all the hair they carry, but it was in my case.

I've lucked out and have found a local retailer that carries cheap, yet what seems like high quality hair. Also even with tax it's still cheaper than ordering it online for me.

GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure it's kanekalon,todd. There are a lot of cheap off brand bags of hair, but if they aren't kanekalon you might have trouble with the hair melting and/or not matching.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
Make sure it's kanekalon,todd. There are a lot of cheap off brand bags of hair, but if they aren't kanekalon you might have trouble with the hair melting and/or not matching.

Yep! It says 100% kanekalon and it seems to be a higher quality then Sally's. Also I successfully straightened it with different blow dryers. It also only melted when I used a heat gun LOL. Which I now warn people it's not a substitution for a blow dryer.

I hope the place I buy it from doesn't jack up the price once they realize how much I need!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: