About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3588ca91d451141b8581730a0b13b1c3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Museum Replicas OWK EP III

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master John (John)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Museum Replicas OWK EP III Reply with quote

For All those who were wondering what the final product looked like, this is it.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3746788709619.2139727.1273321497&type=1&l=ee94e39d47
I was able to procure a second hand full ensemble and thought that I would allow you to judge the costume for yourself.

I have used a numbering system so if you have comments use the photo's No. and make your comment.

This thread is for constructive thoughts/criticism.

Note: the photos I have taken don't do some aspects of the costume justice, and I'm asking friends to help take more photos of higher quality.

Also note I haven't arranged all the belt components in the right order as this is just to give you a feel of the costume.

Alright, I get it started, the belt buckle is not OWK EP III accurate and the gold food capsules were not included, according to the seller of the costume. other than the leather pouch not being included the other pouches seem to be quite good.

your turn Cool
There is no death, there is the Force.
Master John (John)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link isn't working ATM will try to fix it
Master John (John)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://photobucket.com/MROWKEPIII

Hopefully this works
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me say that I appreciate your post. Threads like these can be very helpful for the costume enthusiast. I am one of the LCJs who judges costumes. And while I may judge any Jedi costume, it seems I've fallen into judging the majority of the OWK and Anakin costumes. I'm going to critique this museumreplicas costume from a purists point of view. Some (perhaps much) of what I might comment on may be irrelevant with respect to being approved formally as an OWK, Ep.III. At the end of my critique, I'll offer some thoughts on the minimum things you can do for formal OWK status.

And...finally...please understand I am one judge. Other judges may have other opinions (that may disagree with my own). We tend to judge costumes as a committee, with discussion, to come to a general consensus on approving costumes for the Rebel Legion.

1. - 4. It is my understanding that the reason the original OWK inner tunic was a false tunic (or used two different colors of fabric) was because the outer tunic was not lined (on the body...it was lined in the sleeves), and even though the fabric used was somewhat "thick", especially compared to the cotton gauze that most folks use today, a darker material tended to show through. So the costumers for the film made the main body of the inner tunic a similar color to the outer tunic (to prevent bleed through of the darker colored inner tunic). I've seen the museumreplicas Jedi costumes up close and personal and...they are made of thin material that is, to a degree, see through...making it necessary to design an inner tunic as they do. I have no problem with this piece.
-The snap closure around the neck is fine (and preferred to Velcro, in my opinion...I HATE Velcro).
-The main body closure is rather annoying. Replacing the cumbersome strings with a line of snaps is a good idea. Does it matter? No, because it won't be seen, regardless of how it is closed.

5. The pants are fine. But...suspenders are also a pain in the butt. I'd sew on a tie or hooks (or loops and use a belt) to avoid using the suspenders. But this is a personal preference. In fact, I used a pair of scrub pants as a pattern for my latest Jedi pants, complete with tie strings at the waist (to accommodate many waist sizes) and pockets. Jedi need pockets! Bottom line, it doesn't matter because this area of the pants won't be seen.
-On a side note, I've also added stirrups (a bland of fabric at the foot end of the pants) to help keep the pant legs in the boots.

6. - 12. The Outer Tunic is okay, but...for OWK, the texture of the fabric used is not screen accurate (although the color is okay). The LCJs might balk at it, but in the end, would probably approve the fabric. The thing is, the LCJs change throughout the years and the personality and opinions of the Jedi judges change (not terribly so, but to a degree from year to year). For the LCJs of the 2011-2012 term, this should pass.

13. - 14. The museumreplicas robes look cheap, and the color is not screen accurate for OWK. The OWK film robe uses a reddish-brown wool. This material is more of a flannel (which isn't bad), it's just that the purist generally have a problem with the museumreplicas robes.

15. - 22. All good. The one thing that the LCJs are constantly commenting on is how the costume fits the body, and is the costume worn properly (is the costume too big or too small? does it need fitting? is it wrinkled, in need of ironing) and does it drape properly across the body?). Fortunately, this costume appears to fit you rather well. I see no need to refit it.

23. - 26. The museumreplicas belts are generally good. I think they're real leather. The color of this belt appears too dark for OWK. The resin "pouches" (I prefer to call them boxes since they are resin) are screen accurate. You are missing the "real" leather pouch worn by OWK, and would need to acquire that (I assume that thing above the belt in one of the pictures is your wallet? lol). In addition, OWK has eight food capsules. It looks like you're missing the two "gold" colored food capsules. You would need to acquire those. AND finally, the belt buckle is not an OWK belt buckle. It looks more like an Anakin Ep.III buckle.

27. - 36. The boots look good. The visible part of the soles appear light. You might get a comment about darkening them. Shoe polish (either dark brown or black would easily do the job).

37. - 48. A generally nice representation for OWK, Ep.III.
-The sleeves of the outer tunic aren't lined. Although the costume standards for OWK Ep.III don't mention it, for this costume to be screen accurate the sleeves need to be lined. I would recommend a flax-colored satin (100% cotton that usually runs less than $5/yard at Hobby Lobby).
-The unused hooks on the obi in picture #42 should be removed.

While I've made some comments about screen accuracy, I think, for the most part, your costume would nearly be approved as an Ep.III OWK. The only three items you need for formal status would be (1) two gold food capsules (and make sure you arrange your belt attachments in the proper order), (2) the correct OWK belt buckle and (3) the real leather pouch.

Oh...and you need an OWK lightsaber. None of your pictures show a lightsaber, but I assume you have one. And from a purist point of view, while the OWK Star Wars FX Lightsaber is acceptable for formal status, the connector for the emitter (the copper colored part) is WAY too thick (in order to accommodate the blade). The Master Replicas (without a blade) or similar design, is preferred.

The rest of the things I mentioned that could be "corrected" are for the purists. And if you don't already know, costuming is an addictive hobby. You're NEVER done and are always wanting to upgrade to make your costume better.

Regarding your application with this costume:

1. You are an active RL member, meaning your first costume was formally approved. So, you don't need formal status for subsequent costumes.

2. If you want formal status with this OWK Ep.III, then you would need to, at the minimum, acquire/upgrade the three things I just mentioned (or four things, if you don't have an OWK lightsaber).

3. You might be able to be approved "informally" as OWK, Ep.III. This means that you should not wear this costume to LucasFilm, Ltd. sponsored events...which are very few. So, for 99% of your trooping, you could wear this costume with no problem.

4. You may be formally approved as a Generic Jed, as the costume is pictured. You could always upgrade to a formal OWK, once you've made the necessary additions (as mentioned).

In closing, I assume you did not make any alterations to your museumreplacs OWK complete ensemble. The costume looks rather good and, as I've mentioned, you need few modifications for formal status and/or to upgrade to a near perfect screen accurate OWK, Ep.III. The only the comment I could make is...if you bought the complete ensemble from museumreplicas, then...with respect to acquiring a quality Jedi costume...you paid about $600 too much. I still contend that a high quality Jedi costume (especially if one can sew or knows someone local who can sew) can be build for under $700, including real leather custom boots and a wool robe.

/bow

PS (Please comment in your thread or PM me if you have any questions.)

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Master John (John)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the critique, all that info really helps. Smile

I already have another obi wan belt that is more accurate and a leather pouch. I just wanted to show people what they were getting if they wanted to purchase one. Yeah I own a force fx lightsaber but will eventually get a mre accurate hilt to attatch to my belt.

Yeah, I don't know if I would have bought this at full price, but as I said I bought this second hand, so with International shipping it was $750 all up which I know is steep but in the end I feel that it was a good purchase.
Master John (John)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested, this is the final approved version of my OWK EPIII

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=7287&bu=coslist.php%3Fview%3Dmy&bl=Back+to+my+costumes
Master John (John)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some action poses from a recent convention

Note ususally my brown belt would be higher but some excessively vigourous movement pushed it down

Master John (John)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More poses!!!

Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks really good on you

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Master John (John)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skywalker.
sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger has stated that the texture of the OT is not screen accurate.
(the "crinkle" texture of the OT seems to run horizontal instead of vertical).

I've seen pics from a few different examples of this same MR ensemble,
and I've noticed this effect on some of them.. but for some reason.. others look fine.

I'm wondering --> could this be caused by machine-washing? what are the care instructions?
is this "dry clean only"? and if so, does "machine washing" change the appearance of the texture?

(also what is the fabric content? is this 100% cotton? thanks),.
Master John (John)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sze wan

The OT is 100% cotton. as for instructions it says either machine wash with max temp 40 degrees Celsius or dry clean. I can' t tell you if its previous owner machine washed or not but I haven't.

I hoped that helped.
sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Smile
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the look is good and considering its an off the rack styled costume it works ok, only thing I'd personally maybe be fussy about is the sash..looks like its a bit of work to keep placed correctly

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Master John (John)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ky-Wan Zann. At first the obi/sash was kind of difficult to keep up but the trick, to keeping it in place i found was to tighten the outer leather belt. Ever since i tightened the outer belt i've had no trouble keeping it up. and with all the layers it really isn't uncomfortable tightening the outer belt.

Thanks for your comments. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: