Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c671fc2d8b3b3a772b98626c889dc71cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Do Jedi wear glasses?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Do Jedi wear glasses? Reply with quote

Although the question of whether or not Jedi wear glasses is silly...

...since we, in the Milky Way galaxy, with no force abilities or working lightsabers...and have a plethora of occular conditions not limited to hyperopia, myopia, astigmatism, presbyopia, etc...and therefore needing to wear glasses for sight (I wear glasses myself...actually, I wear regular glasses for general seeing and then have probably 10 pairs of "readers" scattered throughout my home and office for close up seeing)...

I would merely, politely, hopefully without offending anyone...request...that folks who are submitting their Jedi costume applications for judging for Rebel Legion membership and/or to add a costume to you're existing membership...

...leave the glasses off for the photos you send in for judging (or, at the very least) the main action pose that you prefer to be used for your main membership photo.

Question: Will the LCJs deny any Jedi costume (or any costume, for that matter) because someone is wearing glasses? Absolutely not!

It's just that...Jedi wearing glasses simply don't look right Cool

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
ionicdesign (Michael)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zippers and corrective eye wear. *sigh*. I actually got back into wearing contacts to do Dooku. (though I was told I could wear them but only if I have a blue script in my hands at all times that I'm looking at. Wink )

So as he said, you will not be denied, but please, for your frame images, leave them off. Many thanks.

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my Jedi pants have pockets. I carry my keys, my wallet, my cell phone a hankerchief (all gentle men Jedi carry hankerchiefs) and...my glass case with glasses inside...for those moments when I want to see Wink

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've wondered about people who wear glasses... why not make some glasses that look like they would fit into the universe? Granted, this could only work for glasses that were cheap enough that you could buy more than one pair of and take out the lenses of one or two, but it wouldn't be too hard to make some glasses that look Star Wars-y and are still functional.

Just a thought, anyway.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DL (Johan Hanson)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only Plo Koon ...
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DL wrote:
Only Plo Koon ...

BWHAHAhahaha!!!

True enough Wink

JediKai (Kate B)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with the recommendation to leave off the glasses for membership photos and have done so. Wink

We had a long discussion about glasses some time ago. Can't find it now. I also take them off for photos during events. I can't leave them off for long as I get bad eye strain and eventually a headache if I do.

Blue Banshee asks, "hy not make some glasses that look like they would fit into the universe? "

What do the collective Jedi here think those would look like? My solution has been to get frameless ones so they are not so visible. Those are no longer in style and getting hard to find.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee...that is a good question. I have no idea what StarWarsy glasses would look like. The rimless ones are nice. I almost got some last time I got glasses, but because of a number of features I wanted (transitions, glare resistant, etc.) and them needing to use the higher strength plastic, they were going to cost over $700...something I just couldn't justify. So, like Kate...if I'm wearing my glasses on a troop (which is rare), I'll take them off for photos. I really don't have a problem with eye strain, so it's no big deal for me.

I would enjoy some thoughts on how to make glasses look as though they belong to the Star Wars universe!

Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a rather simple way to make glasses look Star-Warzy... Wear contacts. The prospect of poking myself in the eye once horrified me, but wih the right teaching from the optometrist, it's easy. I have terrible eyesight and bad astigmatism. I now wear contacts that stay in all month, and only change them once a month. All I need to do is put one eyedrop on each eye first thing in the morning, and off I go!

The trick is to get taught by an optometrist and follow instructions to get used to wearing them. Wear them for two hours only the first time. Four hours the next time. Eight the next, and so on. Most prescriptions can wear contacts.

Wearing contacts has made a huge difference in my life. I am more confident, in skiing, martial arts, costuming, even walking in the rain, glasses made me feel vulnerable in ways I had no idea about until they were gone. And I look better without the glasses! Wink

It's not hard to ask your optometrist about contacts and give it a try. You will not regret it!

Tython Base Facebook Page
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, SWTOR has some glasses options for cyborgs, and some of them look pretty neat. Granted they would need to be modified to be worn on regular old humans that don't have things plugging into their skull, but still, it inspired me to think of a few designs for fan-fiction I've been working on.

For example, the most simple design I've thought of, is a pair of glasses with a thin metal frame that wraps around the back of the head and has no nose piece. It would just be two frames resting in front of the eyes with a metal "band" acting as the frame and keeping it on the head. Would probably have to be a little tight on the head so the glasses didn't move.

Other small things could be added, like a small box that looks like a power box or something like that.

Here's a few examples I found through Google. Perhaps not these exactly, but I could definitely see something like these fitting into the Star Wars universe...
http://www.gizmoscout.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Google-Augmented-Reality-Glasses.jpg
http://heartifb.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/google-glass-1.jpg
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/golden-i.jpg
http://www.mobgaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/olympus-meg4-glasses.jpg
http://alwaysnveuro.com/nveuro/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/rumor-google-glasses-coming-this-year-1-620x413.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IPQsNAHkOyw/T_XFcowHOpI/AAAAAAAABJQ/6OnVKqCkdNc/s1600/AppleiGlass1.jpg
http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Glasses-camera-16GB-High-tech-products/643305824.html
http://www.gadgets-zone.com/images/active-sound-1.jpg
http://www.petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2010/09/eyeball.jpg

But anyhow, I'm not trying to start a big debate about this or anything. I just thought I'd toss it out there.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jay-gon Jinn (Jason Hetherington)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyr Mureys wrote:
There is a rather simple way to make glasses look Star-Warzy... Wear contacts.
Some of us that have to wear glasses in real life may have allergies that do not allow us to wear contacts.....nor have coverage for them in our optical plans.

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediKai (Kate B)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyr Mureys wrote:
There is a rather simple way to make glasses look Star-Warzy... Wear contacts.

Can't. Contacts can't correct my vision to 20/20. I'm left with the same problem I mentioned above.

"It would just be two frames resting in front of the eyes with a metal "band" acting as the frame and keeping it on the head. Would probably have to be a little tight on the head so the glasses didn't move. " Problem is that the lenses must be a certain distance from the eye so without the nose piece, it would still be a problem to get correct focus.
The Google augmented reality glasses do still have nose pads but they do look cool. The third image from slashgear is very futuristic. But all those augmented reality glasses look cool but aren't intended for a corrective prescription.

Some of the rimless or sports ones from Zenni Optical http://www.zennioptical.com/# are kinda cool.
Admiral ED (Eduardo Jara)
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasses are part of the Star Wars Canon, a weak or rare part of canon but still part of it.

Ergo.... Glasses should be allowed...

And here are references I found of Characters wearing glases in the SW universe...

Case #1:
Jerec (from Dark Forces 2 videogame) use darkglasses to conseal the fact that he doesn't have eyes. He's a Miraluka a species without eyes.

Case #2
Noa from the Ewok Movie "The Battle of Endor" wear glasses. And more important is character created by George Lucas himself.

Case #3
This merchant in Kasshyk from Holiday Special.

Case#4
Even C-3PO in the animated series DROIDS used Glasses.

Case#5
this fiixer from the Droids Comics

Case #6 Even Hutts used glasses. VAGO the Hutt, taken from a rol playing guide

Case# 7
This Rebel pilot... taken from SW Marvel Comics

Case # 8
General Tagge brother, from the Classic Star Wars Comics

Case # 9
Have you seen Garrindan face lately?

Case #10
This Smuggler from Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters

Case #11
This Black Sun Vigo killed by Darth Maul. In the Darth Maul mini comic book series

Case # 12 (sort of...)
JEDI MASTER CORONEL SANDERS...
He was a Jedi Knight (sort of) in the promotional campaing 12 years ago, of Episode I
(this proves also that Jar Jar Binks wasn't the worst part of Episode I)

Well that¿s it...
What do you say?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT was a comprehensive review. Excellent searching.
Admiral ED (Eduardo Jara)
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I forgot the lastest "four eyes" to the canon....

Hondo Ohnaka....

you see, even on Clone Wars there are glasses.... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: