About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=91ac6c1cf1b759cfacdb87a955fb2769Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Another way to clean your wookiee costume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Another way to clean your wookiee costume Reply with quote

I know Bob posted a great tutorial on how to clean your wookiee costume, however I would rather do it this way:

Galactic Groomers

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
firebird ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my theory a couple of weeks ago but I would much prefer the Galactic groomers thanks Very Happy

P.S. not really having a shower Rolling Eyes

P.S. Not really having a shower Rolling Eyes

Last edited by firebird () on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! LOL!

Why is it when Chewie is in any situation it's just that much better? Ha ha ha!

Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn my hair shirt inside out right after an event to air it out. A bit of fabreeze does the job. There are also WATERLESS shampoos at salons you can buy to clean your suit without water. I good brushing and a little fabreeze always does the job for me......

Chewy Layers snow to print
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever try using vodka and water? Apparently its an old stand by in theater and works really well on a wide variety of fabrics. I intend to use my old costume to test this to make sure it wont harm the hair.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
Anyone ever try using vodka and water? Apparently its an old stand by in theater and works really well on a wide variety of fabrics. I intend to use my old costume to test this to make sure it wont harm the hair.

I personally never have, but on this episode of Mythbusters they used vodka to get rid of foot odor and apparently it works: Mythbusters Vodka myths

In theory super cheap vodka would be cheaper then antibacterial fabreez, yet just as effective. And environmentally it would be in theory safer as well. For my gear which I can't wash I use the sports version of frabrezz.

GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. This topic came came up at a costuming panel at DragonCon this year. They mentioned that the Vodka evaporates and takes the funk with it. It doesn't leave anything behind, either. Febreeze does.

Like Marty I also turn my suit inside out and hang it up.

Peter told me a number of years ago that the original was cleaned by sprinkling baby powder on the inside.

Definitely going to use my old suit to test different cleaning methods. Anything is better than washing it in the tub. That's a lot of work.

I've heard cheap Vodka works fine. The panelists variously recommended a 25% vodka to 75% water mixture, a 50/50 mixture, and some in the audience even suggested undiluted vodka.
Roheryn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then you just spray it on and hang the suit out to dry?
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a lot of body odor you may need to be more aggressive with cleaning your suit. I wear a thin spandex under armor shirt and pants which keeps most of the sweat. A little UNSCENTED fabreeze and a nice brushing followed by a hang out in the breeze works great. I have never had to "bath the suit" in water. My suit is 2 years old this October 20th. I even get comments that "oooh you smell good when Im in the suit. Be careful with chemicals and radical untested methods......you dont want to have to latch another suit!!!NOOOOOO!

Chewy Layers snow to print
firebird ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very good info in here that I really should be listening to . As we are leading into the Australian summer and the Christmas trooping season , it could be a case of feet wrapped in leathery burnt bacon if I'm not careful Shocked
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will have to give this a go. Have a fair bit of cheap vodka in the cupboard after some SingStar parties a while ago Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
I've heard cheap Vodka works fine. The panelists variously recommended a 25% vodka to 75% water mixture, a 50/50 mixture, and some in the audience even suggested undiluted vodka.

I don't have a smelly wookiee costume yet to try this on, BUT I do have my nieces Ewok Costume that she wore at CBVI. Two days of wearing it, plus the humidity, plus leaving it in the luggage too long, it needs to be freshened!

I also figure if it disintegrates it, there isn't that much material to replace LOL!

I'll let everyone know if it worked. I plan on doing 75% cheap vodka to 25% distilled water.

Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that our own Defiance as Han? I think I recognize that gunbelt - they're almost like fingerprints...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: