About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c74df9e9a9f237b0870af715e5e479b8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

2012 Answers from Zrissa (Linda Whitson)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Kessel Base -> Spice Runner Squadron
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: 2012 Answers from Zrissa (Linda Whitson) Reply with quote

This thread is dedicated to answers provided by Linda Whitson in the 2012 Spice Runner Squadron Commander election. Please remember to respond to questions in your thread only.

Good luck.

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REMINDER : Q&A began Monday the 17th of September (12:10am EST). The Questions phase ends after 7 days (Sunday September 23rd at 11:59pm EST), while answers may continue for two more days (Closing on Tuesday September 25th, 11:59pm EST).

Zrissa (Linda Whitson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Why should YOU be Squadron Commander?
I realize I have an extra challenge as CO, since I am so isolated from the rest of my wingmates. However, I do make it a priority to keep in touch with them, usually via the Base Facebook page.
I have dedicated myself to the Squadron since becoming active in Kessel Base, specifically helping the Spice Runners recover from the loss of so many members after Dagobah Base was spun off. Even making the small--except to me!--sacrifice of submitting my costume without a helmet at that point, so that we had the minimum numbers to stay active & enabling me to step up as SXO.
Yes, it's taken a while. As recently as this time last year, I was looking for more pilots, cheering on the first 1, and then 2, members who were completing their costumes. But we now have more than a wing's worth of X-wing pilots here.
I also intend to keep Spice Runners visible, even when doing other Legion activities. Earlier this year, when I presented game developer Jon Stevens with a Friend of the Rebel Legion award, I was in pilot gear.
I hope to continue to get to know my fellow Spicerunners and find out what they want to do for the Squadron. I've already seen some good ideas here and on the Kessel FB page.

What would YOU do to make the Squadron more active?
From the pictures I have seen over the past year, I don't need to encourage the Squadron to be more active by appearing in pilot costumes at events!Smile
I would like to work with them on recruiting and assisting of those interested in pilot costumes, either as a first SW costume or their next one. Many of these projects lend themselves to long-distance collaboration: tutorials, creating event flyers that feature the various pilots, & contributing pictures and articles to blogs, such as All Wings Report In, and Star Wars Insider's fan features.

Why do you costume as a Pilot?
I just loved the costume, as a teen. Maybe because I had a crush on Luke? Then I started thinking how much fun it would be to fly one of those X-wings, & have a cool astromech as a pal. I even tried to make a papier-mache' flight helmet for Halloween the year Star Wars came out! Didn't work. So imagine my delight, when as a grown-up with kids of my own, I found an organization where I could be a Star Wars pilot, & not just for Halloween.
I've kept wearing the costume for a lot of reasons--it's still just as cool as when I was a teen. But the most relevant reason in this forum is that I am the sole Spice Runner in this part of the Base (Arkansas)--& I don't want it to be that way much longer. Just getting out there dressed in orange reminds fans--whether they're looking for their first or next costume--that they too can blow up the Death Star with one torpedo. I think it's the best RL costume for getting possible members to just talk to me, so I can tell them about both the costume and the RL

How do you think you can raise Squadron morale?
There's been some talk about a new patch, so I think I will start there, since there is interest, and possibly branch out into tee shirts. I have a possible contact to widen our vendor options for these.
I'd also like to see a wider variety of pilot costumes. While I love the X-wings, the other pilot costumes, from the Original Trilogy and other sources, need some love too. I've started working on this, on a family level: taking my plans for an A-wing costume off the back burner, as well as encouraging my husband to do a B-wing.
Most of what I've written above also goes here as well--continuing to encourage people to do the costume, work together on non-event projects, & generally get to know each other, even if only long distance.
Perhaps try out some new ways of getting together--Skype, anyone?
I was a very lonely pilot about this time last year, and I am very pleased that I am not flying solo any more.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Kessel Base -> Spice Runner Squadron All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: