About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=46eb35bcf613343bc3a6c8f9a8f26f7eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

2012 Nordic Base BCO Q&A- Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Nordic Base - Wampa's Cave -> Nordic Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke_Skywalker (Frank Sommer)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: 2012 Nordic Base BCO Q&A- Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius) Reply with quote

This thread will be dedicated to Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius) answers for the BCO Q&A session.

Only Johanna has permission to post in this thread... all other posts will be deleted.

If you have a question, please use the Q&A thread to ask your inquiry. Thank you for your cooperation!

Last edited by Luke_Skywalker (Frank Sommer) on Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to follow the example of the persons who are up for the positions in the Legion Administrative Council and present myself and why I would like to become CO of the Nordic Base.

I've been a member of the Rebel Legion since 2002, in fact I was the first member in the Nordic countries and was part of the founding of the Swedish Outpost in December 2002. Throughout most of the time I haven't focused much on the Rebel Legion though even though I've tried to troop as much as possible during the last years.

Now during the last year there have been complaints in the forum that not much is happening in the base, or that the forum/base is dying. I'm not a person who joins the complaint chorus unless I have something to offer or a solution to the problem. Me accepting the nomination for CO is a way for me to act on this and I think I have a lot to offer that would benefit the Nordic Base.

I hope you all have a lot of questions during this week and I will do my best to answer them.
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Outpost has now become a Base and has a full 35 active members.
Due to the fact that these members are scattered around a big area in four different countries, there can be hard to manage everything from member details to events.

How do you plan to manage this?
Wich roles will the Base Command have except for CO and XO?
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Outpost has now become a Base and has a full 35 active members.
Due to the fact that these members are scattered around a big area in four different countries, there can be hard to manage everything from member details to events.

How do you plan to manage this?
Wich roles will the Base Command have except for CO and XO?

I think the time has come for our base to get a bit more structure. With so many members we also need to think ahead for the future, when we will hopefully have even more members. An efficient organization, also known as a bureacracy, is necessary for us to be able to work together. If things run smoothly between events, then we can concentrate on having fun in our costumes during the events. In order for NB to grow I would like to have a base command that is bigger than just the CO and XO.

I'm also of the firm believe that if you open up the organisations for more people to be able to take responsibility for the club, then more people will feel interested in doing something for the base.

- First of all I would like to add in the former CO. It's always hard for a new CO to take over, in order to help with the transition I think it's a good thing to have the former CO in the base command for a year after they have stepped down. I've been a member of many volunteer organizations where this is a norm. The knowledge of a former CO is even more important when it comes down to a club like ours, where we don't rely much on written documentation and history.

- Second and actually more important would be to add a Base Membership Officer, BMO. The RL charter states the office as BMO like this:
Quote:
The Base/Outpost Membership Officer (BMO/OMO) is responsible, if designated by their CO or along with the CO, to have all contact information for all members in their Base/Outpost. Contact information should include the following: Member's name, name on the RL site, address, current email, telephone number (if the member permits), and all current, approved costumes the member owns. [All contact information is kept strictly confidential and is not to be given out to anyone without permission of the member.

The BMO/OMO is responsible for ensuring that members complete the annual census and updates the status of their members (active/inactive/reserve) on the Rebel Legion forum. The BMO/OMO is also responsible, if designated by their CO or along with the CO, for making sure members who have moved into their Base/Outpost area get their contact information transferred and updated as well as verifying that the member is not an ex member or has been banned from the RL or that they are of appropriate age to join the RL. They are responsible for carrying out requests for the removal from the Legion and work in concert with their CO for such requests.

The BMO would help to make sure that we the command, and members, always know how to contact our members. It would also mean having a clearer picture of what costumes and characters we can provide in each country. The charter gives room for adding more than one BMO to a base, but since this is asking for yet another volunteer I would like us to start with one.

Both these are changes that I think would help the base to run smoother, and give us a better overview of what's actually going on in the base. But these additions need people volunteer for these positions though, first the former CO would have to be interested in continuing, secondly we would need someone to volunteer for the BMO position. I think that the best job is made by a person who's genuinely interested, not just accepting it because the CO begs them to do it. If nobody is interested I think the CO/XO would need to do this job instead. That's better than someone accepting it, and then doing a bad job because they don't really want to.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. What will you do that is different to what has been done before?

I would keep a more active presence on the forum. I'm online many hours a day, and I'm always checking the forums.

In the answer above I presented my ideas for a base command that would work smoothly, I think that could help a lot in making sure that no questions just linger in limbo, but we would be able solve problems and have discussions with a much higher turnaround than previously.

I also think that we need to come together better as a group. It is hard since we are so spread out, but I think one way is to have more informal chats. I would like us to set up a monthly meeting time online. This would be totally informal, but it would be a way to put a face to each other and just communicate things like what we are doing with costume projects or if there's an event coming up. I've been working in a very dysfunctional organization, and one step that helped my workplace to work better together was when we started to take a coffee break together at least once a week.

This monthly chat would be informal and in no way compulsory for members, but it would be a way to talk about less serious stuff than what's usually comes up on the forums.

I don't have a fixed solution as to how this would be done, I have skype and I have also used the Google+ video chatt with great success, but the technical side of this would have to be agreed on by all of us.

2. Will you continue to develop nordicbase.net? If so then how will you improve it?

I've been updating the site since this winter, after I realised that nothing was happening with it, so yes I'm interested in doing something more with it. I haven't put forth many suggestion though, since I haven't been sure what mandate I've had. As a CO and with a base command at my side I think it would be easier to decide on what we want to do with the site.

I also think that having a BMO would make it easier to make sure that the member section was kept updated, so I would definitely like to involve a future BMO in the website.

3. What can you as CO do to improve ties to NG?
4. There are a lot of people in NG complaining about the rebels. How will you approach that?

I'm going to answer this in one question. I think it's sad that there is a resentment towards the rebels in the NG, in fact I was surprised how strong that seemed to be when the discussion for a joint logo was brought up in regards to CEII. I had hoped that we were passed those issues, but apparently not.

The best I as a CO can do is to keep good contact with the CO and council of the NG. I would need to make sure to encourage NB members to step up and work, and not just glide along the NG during events. This is working better in some countries compared to others, Finland is a good example of where the NG and NB works a lot together all the time.

I would also like to make sure that we have NB stuff, like patches and t-shirts, and also an NB banner up in the stand when we are working in it. I think clearly showing that we are just as hard working as the NG is the best way to try and change some NG members perceptions of the rebels.

As a dual member I have the possibility to see the NG members only discussions, and that gives me an opportunity to engage in discussions that may arise there. There it is even more important to remain calm and civil and show that we have something to offer that the NG might benefit from as well (more SW characters no matter if they are good or evil).

As a CO, but also as a member, I think it's important to try and show up to as many events as possible. Showing that the good characters are necessary to bring the full Star Wars saga to life. After all you can't have a war, and especially not Star Wars, with only one side present.

5. Do we need more rules or less?

I actually don't think we have many rules at the moment. We have the RL charter, which I think it's a lot easier to read and understand than for example the 501st charter. The NB itself doesn't have any codified rules of its own, and at the moment I haven't seen any instances where I think we should have had more rules in place. If we just make sure that we follow the charter and use common sense that should be enough. Let's keep this hobby fun, and not suffocate it with more rules than necessary.

6. Do you have anyone in mind as your second in command? If so, who and why?

I have asked Jazz Rathore to be my XO, and he's accepted. I'm very impressed with how he has handled the Metrocon Event, even making a patch run for it. I haven't been EC for a big event in the Nordic Countries, and I haven't done anything when it comes to merchandise, so those are areas where he would complement me really well. I think it's good to have the CO and XO be from different parts of the Nordic Countries, so that the "power" doesn't get concentrated to one of the areas . Also I think that having an XO from Norway might help make us more visible there, at the moment the NG is growing a lot in Norway, but we don't see the same increase in the NB. A Norwegian XO can be the first step in showing some rebel pride in the west.

Also very importantly I met him at CVI and I think lederhosen goes very well with my cancan trooper skirt.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a closing statement I would like to say that I really hope that I will be the next CO of the Nordic Base. I've been watching from the side for a very long time and has seen that there have been things that simply weren't working. This long time has given me the opportunity to evaluate how I would handle things, and I think I have a good plan to make things work better in the future.

One reason that I have watched from the side and hasn't taken part earlier has been that I have been heavily involved in other voluntary organizations. But that work has also given me a lot of experience in working with volunteer organizations in different circumstances. In Star Wars circles I've been working a lot with FanForce, being the Regional Suppoar Administrator for Europe, and being responsible for the FanForce/JediCouncil booth during the last US celebrations. That has given me a real insight in how you work with people spread out over a larger area, and where you do rely mostly on the written word to communicate.

On the non-SW side I've been co-responsible for Sweden's second largest private library, and I am in the organization committee for the ski jumping and nordic combined events in Falun. Both those jobs means you need to be able to juggle a lot of issues at the same time, as well as leading a lot of volunteers in order to make everything go as smooth as possible.

I also believe that it's important in an organization that you have goals that you can measure, and strive towards. That way you can really see that things are happening. My goals for the coming year in the Nordic Base would be:

1. Create merchandise for the base
2. Solidify a base organisation that will work as we expand to even more members
3. Find ways to unify our members so that we really feel as one base and one unit, eventhough we are spread out over four different countries.
4. Celebrate our 10th anniversary! We are turning 10 years this year, and since the Swedish Outpost was created in December, and there is the SSFGC in Stockholm in December I think it would be great to celebrate it with you all there.

I also think me as CO and Jazz as XO will be a good team. We compliment each other, both with experiences in the base and with our geographic locations. With us in the base command you would get a team that is really willing to work and make things happen in the Nordic Base.

I thank you for the nomination to this post, I hope that you will give us your confidence so that we can really get to work with what we think would be the best for the Nordic Base.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Nordic Base - Wampa's Cave -> Nordic Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: